• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer Question

My Mother in Law is giving me an old 22. the gun is in maine, and it always has been, she does not have an LTC or a FID card. Do i need to fill out any paper work?

The critical issue isn't where the gun is, it's where your mother resides. If she's a Maine resident, then the transfer will have to go through a Massachusetts FFL. If she's a Massachusetts resident, then she either needs to have an LTC (A or B, as appropriate for the gun) or do the transfer through a Massachusetts licensed dealer. You, of course also need the appropriate LTC. [OTOH, if you and your mother were once Maine residents, for all I know she might have given the gun to you then, in which case you could simply bring your gun into the state and register it with an FA-10 without any new transfer taking place.]

Ken

You both need to reside in the same state in order to transfer a handgun FTF. FTF transactions of handguns between residents of two different states is a Fed Felony.

Then if in MA, both parties need the appropriate LTC.

If an FFL is involved in any transfer (in MA), the gun must have been "in MA" on 10/21/98 OR be on the EOPS List of approved handguns.

Ooops! If it's a rifle rather than a handgun, substitute "Maine or Massachusetts FFL" in the first sentence of my previous responce, and "FID or LTC" for "LTC A or B" in the next sentence.

Ken

Do you have you C&R FFL? Is the rifle over 50 years old? If yes to both questions, have it shipped to you, log it in your bound book and register it on an FA-10.

If no to either...see above answers.

Back
Top Bottom