Transfer from someone with an expired license?

I was hoping somebody could help me out with some info and maybe point me to the part of the law that this would deal with. I know an older gent who had a firearm license way back in the day and it has since expired. He wanted to give me a couple old hunting rifles because he no longer hunts and obviously doesn't have a license anymore. By my understanding of things we can't just fill out an FA-10 because he doesn't have a current license, correct? Would it be legal to take these to a dealer and have the shop do a transfer for us? and if so could it come back to bite him latter that he doesn't have a current license? Basically I just want to transfer these into my name and not get him into any trouble doing it.

Thanks for your help.

FYI I have a class A so no worries about licensing on my end.

The proper method for this situation is for you, the gentleman and his guns to make a drive to a MA FFL and do the transfers there thru the FFL.

Perfectly legal and TTBOMK nobody has ever been jammed up for doing it this way.

My bets are that the guns he has are pre-1998 acquisitions and probably would never show up in the state's database anyway (private only goes back to 10/21/1998 and MA Dealer to 1986), which is anything but complete on old transactions.

As LenS stated, You need to go to a FFL together with the firearms to complete the transfer. Just make sure You, as the licensed individual, transports the firearms.

The proper method for this situation is for you, the gentleman and his guns to make a drive to a MA FFL and do the transfers there thru the FFL.

Perfectly legal and TTBOMK nobody has ever been jammed up for doing it this way.

My bets are that the guns he has are pre-1998 acquisitions and probably would never show up in the state's database anyway (private only goes back to 10/21/1998 and MA Dealer to 1986), which is anything but complete on old transactions.

+1 My friend transfered her shotguns via FFL without problem.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

You are right about the pre-1998 idea....they're probably pre-1950 honestly!

If there are wildcats in the collection, ask if he has the dies or brass etc. It will make the transition a little easier when it comes to ammo.

Back
Top Bottom