Transfer firearm from MA resident to NH

Hi everyone.

If I want to transfer firearm from MA resident to NH, do I have to go through a FFL or can I sell it F2F using a FA-10 like I can to a MA resident?

The purchaser has a C&R.

Cheers,

Noelephant

Is the firearm C&R eligible? If not, you definitely need to go through an 01 FFL. I believe it will have to be an NH FFL. This is definitely true for a handgun due to federal law. IIRC there's also a law that prohibits a MA FFL from selling a gun to a non-resident.

If the firearm is a C&R and they have a C&R you can sell it in your house or their house. If in your house they are in theory covered by FOPA.

If it isn't a C&R, the laws are different between handgun and long gun.

And FA-10 isn't needed for NH. Is it needed to sell a gun in MA?

We have to send a FA-10 to the state when we sell a MA firearm to let them know that we no longer own it.

The firearm is C&R.

Cheers,

Josh

If the firearm is a C&R and they have a C&R you can sell it in your house or their house.

According to c140 s128A, you can only sell a gun to either a dealer, a museum, or a MA resident with an FID/LTC. So, while in MA, you cannot sell a gun to an out of state C&R. However, if the sale takes place in NH, then NH law applies.

Last edited:
If I was trying to buy a C&R from a seller in MA who wanted to fill out a FA-10 and include my name/addr on it, that would be a deal breaker for me to buy it.

If I was trying to buy a C&R from a seller in MA who wanted to fill out a FA-10 and include my name/addr on it, that would be a deal breaker for me to buy it.

Not to mention that the FA10 is NOT used to record interstate transfers.

Not to mention that the FA10 is NOT used to record interstate transfers.

Slight clarification, an FA10 is not used for any out of state transfers simply because nobody who needs to fill out an FA10 in the first place is allowed to conduct an out of state transfer. Transfers into the state may indeed require an FA10, per c140 s128B.

Back
Top Bottom