Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

No and no....

You don't think they are as friendly as puppies? Don't they look cute? They sound nice as well. [smile]

Actually they are quite shy. Every single one I have bumped into on the woods has bugged out as soon as it caught sight of me.

As for them being the same size as a large GSD, hell no. Average GSD is 75 to 90 lbs. World record yote is 73 pounds with 99 percent being under 50.

300 lb buck, hell no #2. State record buck was 270 pounds.

But yes they are bigger and greyer than western yotes which average around 25 lbs

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Actually they are quite shy. Every single one I have bumped into on the woods has bugged out as soon as it caught sight of me.

As for them being the same size as a large GSD, hell no. Average GSD is 75 to 90 lbs. World record yote is 73 pounds with 99 percent being under 50.

300 lb buck, hell no #2. State record buck was 270 pounds.

But yes they are bigger and greyer than western yotes which average around 25 lbs

I relied upon others reporting what they had...and defer to you on any weights. From 20 yards away, they can appear large when in a group and particularly when tearing up a deer. Being new to game cameras, I was simply pleased to have captured them with the night vision feature and took the risk of posting it, only now realizing others must think such a shot is routine. Most of the time they do seem to be shy, but now and then when it is really cold out and few prints of anything are upon the snow these animals are not exactly friendly. Their hunger must overcome their caution at such moments. They are also fond of making a bloody mess out of any waterfowl out on the ice late at night.

7 yotes in in one camera shot? Wow - thick as fleas down there.
Pretty good luck for being new to game cameras.
Just curious, does your camera have a date stamp with date and time of pic.....?

7 yotes in in one camera shot? Wow - thick as fleas down there.
Pretty good luck for being new to game cameras.
Just curious, does your camera have a date stamp with date and time of pic.....?

It was dating images for 2009. Each time I removed the card it would fall back to 2009 and was a pain to reset to the exact proper date. I disabled the feature as a result. I will be sure to reset the date stamp feature whenever there is a deer carcass in future, however...knowing how important it is on this forum now. The number of animals picking over any carcass at night is truly beyond belief. The packs around here seem to be bigger than the standard two. <<link article

Last edited:
Its confirmed there are wolves around here now too...7 in one shot is awesome!! We need to take them out the packs are growing.

Dartmouth, Mass, about 2 am, early February, was sometime in the middle of the week (they never like weekends, either too much noise or too many people are up and about). Hopefully somebody out there can find a good hunting spot, because I can't. They hug the houses as if they know that is a safe strategy. They also like to den under abandoned boats. In the daytime, none exist and at night they seem abundant. They also seem to avoid open spaces except ice/marshes and waterfowl habitat in darkness. Where there are dwellings...there are no hunters (yet plenty of cats, dogs, rabbits, opossums, skunks, etc..). One might grow to admire their intelligence in following Massachusetts laws so very well. They like places where it is impossible/illegal to hunt them! They are also fond of "playing" the subservient dog in order to lure a dog away from its home. I thus suggest keeping a close eye on your pets! Just in case the image expires, here is another.
backyard_zpsc5b62211.jpg

Last edited:
Dartmouth, Mass, about 2 am, early February, was sometime in the middle of the week (they never like weekends, either too much noise or too many people are up and about). Hopefully somebody out there can find a good hunting spot, because I can't. They hug the houses as if they know that is a safe strategy. They also like to den under abandoned boats. In the daytime, none exist and at night they seem abundant. They also seem to avoid open spaces except ice/marshes and waterfowl habitat in darkness. Where there are dwellings...there are no hunters (yet plenty of cats, dogs, rabbits, opossums, skunks, etc..). One might grow to admire their intelligence in following Massachusetts laws so very well. They like places where it is impossible/illegal to hunt them! They are also fond of "playing" the subservient dog in order to lure a dog away from its home. I thus suggest keeping a close eye on your pets! Just in case the image expires, here is another.
backyard_zpsc5b62211.jpg

Pretty awesome pic, i'll have to check out that way next season. They need to start allowing the use of lights at night, at least after Jan 1st

Those are Coywolves. A species that is a cross between a Gray Wolf and a Coyote. There was a great PBS show about them on TV about a month ago.

We have seen as many as 6 at a time, only at night.

They look to be in the 60+ pound range.

Agreed - DO NOT leave your pets out at night!

Confirmed where, when?

The taxidermist who did deer mount told me they have confirmed cross breeding with wolves and a guy I shoot trap/skeet with lives on the woodsy side of holyoke at the end of his road and has miles of woods in either direction...has sensors in his 1/4 mile driveway to alert when people pull in...one night he herd the bell go off looked out and saw two coyotes trotting up his road a few mins later he heard the bell go off again looked out and saw a wolf...guy is an avid outdoorsman so I trust his word.

That is not conformation. More like unsubstantiated opinion which could or could not be accurate. Those wolves must be shacking up with the new england cougars....

All coyotes have wolf dna. This has been known for years.

Finally got a couple of deer on the new trail camera. And then a 2 shots of mystery animal...
I was telling my kids it was a wild pig but we decided it was a turkey....[grin] Having fun with the camera. My kids get excited about checking it once a week...

MFDC0026.jpg

MFDC0024.jpg

MFDC0025.jpg

Those are Coywolves. A species that is a cross between a Gray Wolf and a Coyote. There was a great PBS show about them on TV about a month ago.

We have seen as many as 6 at a time, only at night.

They look to be in the 60+ pound range.

Agreed - DO NOT leave your pets out at night!

Yup, all the coyotes around here are all wolf hybrids of various percentages. Supposedly, the hybrids do well because they can take down deer. Hopefully, they will eventually get the deer population under control in places where we can't shoot the deer (close to homes, etc), before we all have lyme :(

Back
Top Bottom