Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

This one came from my Dad's Farm a few years ago. There were no other pics of these two, but I am guessing the coyote ate good that night...

COYOTE FOX #2.jpg

So we had two pheasants kick it in our pen recently so decided to put them out with a camera to see what would come by. I like my convert a lot. I have more of the cat and it didn't seem bothered by the camera at all

Fox.jpg

Cat1.jpg

So we had two pheasants kick it in our pen recently so decided to put them out with a camera to see what would come by. I like my convert a lot. I have more of the cat and it didn't seem bothered by the camera at all

View attachment 96972

View attachment 96973

Jeez where do you live? haha. A red fox and bobcat aren't the easiest predators to find these days.

Caught taking a leak...
791A3A6F-AFB7-46BA-8503-BE4B8AFDACC5-5973-000008A58B6D72CD_zpsc4d86e79.jpg

View attachment 97924View attachment 97923

Saw some tracks in the snow that looked fairly large so, made a trip to Trucchis, bought some apples, and set up the cam in the backyard. I try to get some photos of me so i can gauge the size of whatever walks in front of the camera. This night, the buck stepped right in my tracks. Friend says it looks to be about 180lbs or so.

Last edited:

Saw some tracks in the snow that looked fairly large so, made a trip to Trucchis, bought some apples, and set up the cam in the backyard. I try to get some photos of me so i can gauge the size of whatever walks in front of the camera. This night, the buck stepped right in my tracks. Friend says it looks to be about 180lbs or so.

Is it good to be feeding them apples at this time of year?

I dont' know? Ive never looked into it. I did see a couple piles of runny poo earlier that day, so they can't be eating much.

I'd guess closer to 200lbs, but it's tough to tell with the hoodie. [smile]

One of my coworkers grew up in GA and a guy he used to hunt with down there sent him this picture he got recently on one of his trail cams:

XKkWJQd.jpg

Nice picture!! These big cats are all over the country, especially down south. They have a range of up to hundreds of miles.

Something like this is why you carry when working out in the field.....it can eat you.

077.jpg Been watching these two fawns grow up for the past 8 months. Both of them are now as big as their mother. This three of a herd of 16 doe that arrive twice daily to feed, morning and evening.

This past Christmas morning I walked out of my building in Kentucky to see 3 bobcats, a mother and two young standing/sunning themselves in my driveway. I have a couple of fuzzy photos of them from my crappy cell phone but nothing good enough to post.

I did go out and find their den though, its in a small cave about 250 yards from my building with a south facing entrance. They're still around as I've seen them twice since then along with many prints in the snow and mud and plenty of scat.

Its good to feed them apples any time of year. Corn during the winter helps them a lot.

That may be ok in Kentucky but it can be a death sentence around here futher north

Corn is nutritionally deficient. Yes they eat it but it just fills their belly without getting what they need to survive. No protien, no fat. Especially if their digestive systems have already converted to feeding on browse. That normally happens when they run out of nuts, fruits and grasses to eat in the winter. If fed corn after that change has happened they can get blocked up and die.

If one is going to feed them up here in the winter make you know how to do it and what to give them for their health.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
View attachment 98850Been watching these two fawns grow up for the past 8 months. Both of them are now as big as their mother. This three of a herd of 16 doe that arrive twice daily to feed, morning and evening.

This past Christmas morning I walked out of my building in Kentucky to see 3 bobcats, a mother and two young standing/sunning themselves in my driveway. I have a couple of fuzzy photos of them from my crappy cell phone but nothing good enough to post.

I did go out and find their den though, its in a small cave about 250 yards from my building with a south facing entrance. They're still around as I've seen them twice since then along with many prints in the snow and mud and plenty of scat.

Mmmmm....veal chops!

Nice picture!! These big cats are all over the country, especially down south. They have a range of up to hundreds of miles.

Something like this is why you carry when working out in the field.....it can eat you.

It always seems posted pics of large cats never have any game camera info in the pic.

That may be ok in Kentucky but it can be a death sentence around here futher north

Corn is nutritionally deficient. Yes they eat it but it just fills their belly without getting what they need to survive. No protien, no fat. Especially if their digestive systems have already converted to feeding on browse. That normally happens when they run out of nuts, fruits and grasses to eat in the winter. If fed corn after that change has happened they can get blocked up and die.

If one is going to feed them up here in the winter make you know how to do it and what to give them for their health.

I do suppliment and mix what I feed, hard red wheat, soy beans(which they leave on the ground in favor of everything else, even though they are high in protein), oat groats, hickory nuts, apples(in late summer/early fall), salt, hay(although there are natural grasses usually available so they don't bother the hay much).

I've sat for hours over the months and watched the deer at my place feed, quite amazingly they self regulate their food intake and do not ever eat everything that is put down for them. They'll grab several mouthfuls and move on to browsing in the fields, nipping at bud ends on small trees as they go. The longest they usually stay at the corn is ten minutes and much of that is chewing and bobbing their heads up looking for predators.

Having seen first hand the results of my feeding, which is an active, healthy and growing, robust herd that has actually gained weight over the winter, I will continue my feeding year round with some tapering off during spring/summer when the vegetation is lush and resuming normal amounts in the fall.

Do these guys look unhealthy to you? These deer have been eating in the corn fields around my place for years.

027.jpg 030.jpg

I also tend to agree with this guy's opinion/experience and have had much the same experience as he but with much less acreage.:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread-print.cfm?threadid=401899&forum=4

"[SIZE=-1]feeding deer doesn't doesn't hurt them. articles are people's opinions who don't like baiting. show me an article that proved a deer died from eating corn, and i'll eat my boot and yours. downright silly. no one can feed a deer massive quantities of corn. a deer only eats what a deer wants, regardless of how big or little the corn supply is. i have close to 1000 acres, i have hunters thru jan 31 for bowhunting, and never once in 20+ years has any deer been found to die from eating corn, or anything remotely close to that possibility. deer eat corn every single day in the summer as well as the fall. ever wonder how those deer int he midwest are so healthy and big bodied? hmmmm, but they are all dying? deer also eat silage that spills from the sock at the farm i lease in january. they literally eat every speck that falls from the bucket when we feed at milking each day. that corn has been fermenting for months and i don't see any dead deer lying around. sounds like a biology lesson is in order. if you force feed a person corn, they'd probably die as well. anything in extreme levels becomes toxic. but until you hold a deer down and pump 100 pounds of corn down its throat, this is silly. i heard too many worms will kill a happy fish too!! this is how bad rumors get started."

[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Belt fed, as I clarified your area is.different than here in the northeast. There are so many farms with so much food available for them year round they really are not the same as here. Especially with so much QDM where standing crops are left over the winter intentionally for the deer to feed on.

Here they have few farms and basically none are on the scale of the midwest. Your deer never have to convert to woody browse to survive the winter like they do here. Here often they are relegated to eating twiggs, bark, and pine needles to make it through the winter once the apples, acorns and beechnuts are gone and the grass dies. Their digestive system changes to adapt and becomes unsuitable for corn.

Here if we feed them we need to start early and continue till the snow is gone and the fields begin to green.

I was not knocking you, just making sure guys up here know it may not be a good idea to emulate you in this region.

Belt fed, as I clarified your area is.different than here in the northeast. There are so many farms with so much food available for them year round they really are not the same as here. Especially with so much QDM where standing crops are left over the winter intentionally for the deer to feed on.

Here they have few farms and basically none are on the scale of the midwest. Your deer never have to convert to woody browse to survive the winter like they do here. Here often they are relegated to eating twiggs, bark, and pine needles to make it through the winter once the apples, acorns and beechnuts are gone and the grass dies. Their digestive system changes to adapt and becomes unsuitable for corn.

Here if we feed them we need to start early and continue till the snow is gone and the fields begin to green.

I was not knocking you, just making sure guys up here know it may not be a good idea to emulate you in this region.

Agreed, if your going to feed them, start early, balance the diet and continue it without interruption.

The worst damage done is by the home builder that cuts down a hundred mature, nut bearing oak trees and drives the population into tighter quarters, raising the competition for available food.

It always seems posted pics of large cats never have any game camera info in the pic.

Ya, this pic is not from my game camera but this is what the momma cat on my property looks like coat wise. Her two young ones are about 2/3rds her size. bobcat-0110.jpg I estimate the weight of the one on my place is about 30-35lbs.

I'd guess closer to 200lbs, but it's tough to tell with the hoodie. [smile]

[smile]

225.6 in underwear

If my neighbors knew that I put food out , they'd probably burn my house down. I enjoy seeing whats' roaming around in the night.

Just want to say thanks to all for the tips on feeding. I'll try and find something a bit more balanced during the winter months.

My backyard buddies at 2am. They are sometimes larger than a big German Shephard around here, and always much bigger and grayer than those I have seen out west. Just two brought down a 300+ lb buck on a game cam two towns over.]

No and no....

Back
Top Bottom