• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trading Up a firearm

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section for this question. Are there any dealers that take used trades toward higher value new guns?

If you have the time I would suggest selling it privatly here. But if you just can't wait it out in the classifieds, you can get a better price, most of the time, from a dealer if you use it towards something in their store too.

Last edited:
Yup most of them do, but realize that by trading in you will always get the value below wholesale (unless theres a big margin on the new gun).
Private sale is usually the best way to go, but you have to have see how desirable your item is and how patient you are finding a buyer. Trading in, you dont have to wait for a buyer...the risk is assumed by the dealer hence lower $$ you get.
oops, I think I typed too much already.

I'll call around. My local place does not, so I figured most wouldn't. Anyway, it's a Glock 22 which is a commodity and I'm not going to get anything much for it anyways with the effort of vetting any offers and meeting up, etc. so I just as soon get it all done together, quick and easy. Thanks for the input. Jeff

I'll call around. My local place does not, so I figured most wouldn't. Anyway, it's a Glock 22 which is a commodity and I'm not going to get anything much for it anyways with the effort of vetting any offers and meeting up, etc. so I just as soon get it all done together, quick and easy. Thanks for the input. Jeff

You will get boned by any dealer on that gun on a trade in. I would be surprised if they even give you $300 for it, if it's a 2nd gen. You could probably post it here and sell it in a day, and get yourself another $100 easy. Even doing a consignment at a dealer and getting boned 18% is going to have better yield than a trade in. If you are in a hurry to sell it, take the typical market price and take $100 off it. You will end up with more in the end.
-Mike

I've traded up 2-3 times. I know I could have gotten more if I had advertised somewhere, but each of the items I wanted were deals that I couldn't pass up and would have lost if I had waited for the cash to come in from a sale.

None of the times did I ever feel that the loss of $ from the traded item would have offset the value of the newly acquired gun.
I don't like to do it, but there are times when it's prudent so as not to lose something you REALLY want/need for your collection.

This is one of those times:

dh%20688x640.jpg

I put the gun on consignment for for an acceptable price, and bought something I really wanted. I'm not too upset about losing the fee - it's basically a convenience fee. It's a good gun in great condition but they are available everywhere for short money.

Last edited:
For the most part dealers would'nt have a used rack if people did'nt trade up. I've traded up a few times, it was a good way for me to off load a few rifles that would'nt have fetched much more in the private sales market.

I held onto that gun as long as I could could, but I couldn't justify keeping it. My hands just wouldn't fit around that grip (the convex portion at the bottom of the Glock 22) without excessive compensation. If I sent it out for a grip reduction the warranty on the frame (at least) would have been voided, and the cost with everything considered would be over $150+. So I was keeping it as a spare and using it to demonstrate to my gun classes. Every time I looked at it, it just reminded me of a paperweight. Somebody will buy it and like it, and meanwhile I got something more suitable to my needs.

I've seen G22's for around $450 and up, not quite short money to me, but it's your gun. [wink] I traded in once 'cause I couldn't wait and got boned, but OH WELL, got the gun I wanted when I wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom