Trading long arms between CT and MA residents.

I have a trade I want to do with a MA gun owner. I know I can't go up to MA and do the transfer of both guns at a MA FFL, but could he come to CT with his firearm and transfer it to me, and I could transfer to him there, too? Or do we have to ship them to FFL's in the other party's states?

Thanks,
Ben

You can normally do a transfer in either state, as News Shooter says. But MA is special (in a "that weird kid who lives down the road" sort of way), as state law would prevent the transfer of your friends gun to you in MA. You can either do both transfers at a CT FFL, or you can do the transfer to you at a CT FFL and the transfer to your friend at a MA FFL.

Last edited:
You can normally do a transfer in either state, as News Shooter says. But MA is special (in a "that weird kid who lives down the road" sort of way), as state law would prevent the transfer of your friends gun to you in MA. You can either do both transfers at a CT FFL, or you can do the transfer to you at a CT FFL and the transfer to your friend at a MA FFL.

So this is another MA only thing right? Not applicable in other states?[frown]

But MA is special (in a "that weird kid who lives down the road" sort of way), as state law would prevent the transfer of your friends gun to you in MA.
Huh? Why is that? In such a transfer, the gun is effectively being transferred from the CT resident to the MA FFL, and then to the MA gun owner.

Huh? Why is that? In such a transfer, the gun is effectively being transferred from the CT resident to the MA FFL, and then to the MA gun owner.

That way is ok. It's the other way that won't work in MA: from the MA resident to the MA FFL, to the CT gun owner. Because MA FFLs cannot transfer to non-residents.

I spoke to someone at Newington Gun Exchange, and he said they could do both transfers, but that the MA buyer would have to adhere to the 14 day waiting period. Is this true?

Yes, that is true. Two week waiting period in CT if you don't have a license. That's partially why I mentioned the possibility of doing the transfers at separate FFLs, one in CT and one in MA.

Yes, that is true. Two week waiting period in CT if you don't have a license. That's partially why I mentioned the possibility of doing the transfers at separate FFLs, one in CT and one in MA.

Does this still apply if the buyer has a CT non-res. license to carry?

Ok, the answer appears to be yes, you can bypass the two week waiting period with a non-resident carry permit.

C. 529 Sec. 29-37a(a) states: No sale or delivery of any firearm shall be made until the expiration of two weeks from the date of the application.

That establishes the two week waiting period.

But 29-37a(b) further states that the waiting period: shall not apply to [...] any firearm to a holder of a valid state permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued under the provisions of section 29-28

The establishes the exception to the waiting period. So the only question left is whether a non-resident permit falls under Sec. 29-28.

A quick glance at 29-28 reveals that it does, under paragraph (f).

Other interesting exceptions to the waiting period: active military and holders of a valid CT hunting license.

Ok, the answer appears to be yes, you can bypass the two week waiting period with a non-resident carry permit.

C. 529 Sec. 29-37a(a) states: No sale or delivery of any firearm shall be made until the expiration of two weeks from the date of the application.

That establishes the two week waiting period.

But 29-37a(b) further states that the waiting period: shall not apply to [...] any firearm to a holder of a valid state permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued under the provisions of section 29-28

The establishes the exception to the waiting period. So the only question left is whether a non-resident permit falls under Sec. 29-28.

A quick glance at 29-28 reveals that it does, under paragraph (f).

Other interesting exceptions to the waiting period: active military and holders of a valid CT hunting license.

Thanks, good to know.

Update:

I spoke to two FFL's who both said it HAS to be a CT issued license/permit to bypass the 14 day waiting period. I called the CSP firearms unit, and spoke to a gentleman by the name of Walt Peck. He stated that yes, indeed, it would have to be a CT issued permit.

HOWEVER!!! He also mentioned that I could still do a face to face transaction with the MA resident here in CT, and it would be perfectly legal for me. He stated he didn't know about what the MA laws would say about the MA resident purchasing or selling a firearm outside of MA, but in regards to CT law, neither of us were breaking anything by doing so!

This strike anyone else as odd?

HOWEVER!!! He also mentioned that I could still do a face to face transaction with the MA resident here in CT, and it would be perfectly legal for me. He stated he didn't know about what the MA laws would say about the MA resident purchasing or selling a firearm outside of MA, but in regards to CT law, neither of us were breaking anything by doing so!

Odd? No, unfortunately. It is just one more example of why you should not count on the law enforcement officers for advice about firearms laws.

Doing a face to face transaction with a resident of a different state is a federal felony. It may not be against CT law, but it sure is against federal law (I'm not a lawyer and I'm not familiar with CT law, so I won't hazard a guess one way or the other about CT law). From the ATF FAQ:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Note that the phrase "unlicensed person" in this text means a person who is not an FFL.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

Last edited:

Not odd, just completely wrong. Guess there is nothing you can do about the CT stuff if they're being more restrictive than their laws say, but don't get fooled about the private transfer. That's federal 'pound me in the ass' prison territory.

Last edited:
Not odd, just completely wrong. Guess there is nothing you can do about the CT stuff if they're being more restrictive than they're laws say, but don't get fooled about the private transfer. That's federal 'pound me in the ass' prison territory.

x2. FTF Transfers between residents of two different states is federal territory. As in a federal offense.

x2. FTF Transfers between residents of two different states is federal territory. As in a federal offense.

Just to check: any chance that the other person has a C&R FFL? It may actually make at least one of the direct interstate transactions legal.

If one of them is a C&R FFL, then it's not actually a FTF private transfer, it's an FFL transfer. Semantics, really.

Back
Top Bottom