Toy gun exchange in RI--Studipity abounds

Providence, E. Providence host toy gun exchanges
4:11 PM Thu, Dec 10, 2009 | Permalink |
By Alisha A. Pina Email this author | Email this entry

Children in Providence and East Providence can trade toy guns for real candy or toys on Friday and Saturday.

In Providence, children can feed their toy guns to the "Bash-O-Matic," a device designed and built by students at the New England Institute of Technology and the Rhode Island School of Design, Rhode Island Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch said.

The annual "Holiday Toy Gun Bash" will give an alternate toy to each child who relinquishes a gun from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Pleasant View Elementary School, 50 Obadiah Brown Road, Providence.

Lynch will speak at noon, and he and other community leaders will discuss other ways to reduce gun violence and juvenile violence. Lynch will also take on challengers in a 3-point basketball shooting contest. There will be refreshments, games, a visit from Santa Claus, music and raffles by Hot 106, as well as a K-9 demonstration and a child ID program.

In East Providence on Friday, toy guns will turn into cotton candy at City Hall. Sponsored by East Providence Prevention Coalition the toy gun exchange will be part of the city's Santa arrival and tree lighting ceremony. Festivities begin at 5 p.m. Friday.

The coalition, a citizens group dedicated to encouraging healthy lifestyles, will offer a package of cotton candy for each toy gun presented. The coalition develops "proactive strategies through collaboration with community partners" and has teamed with Shaw's Supermarkets of East Providence for this event.

The annual tree lighting and visit with Santa is sponsored by the city's parks and recreation department. Santa will arrive at 6:30 p.m., but the jolly man's craft shop with more than 30 vendors and free refreshments will open at 5 p.m. on the third floor. The youth branch of the prevention coalition, Drug Intervention Community Educators (DICE), will serve non-alcoholic drinks.

There will be a holiday carol sing-along with the Caring Clown Ministry and a 6:45 p.m. performance from the Woodbury Ringers.

The Providence event is organized by the Attorney General's Community Prosecution Unit in cooperation with Hot 106FM, the US Department of Justice's Project Safe Neighborhoods, the City of Providence, Providence Police Department, District 6 Community Police, Providence Crime Watch, Providence Fire Prevention, Providence School Department, Youth Build, RI Masons (Child Identification Program), Cox Communications, Aramark, Providence Auto Body, State Towing, City of Providence Department of Parks & Recreation and RI Donation Exchange.

This story was first reported at 2:22 p.m. and updated at 4:06 p.m.
-- With reports from staff writer Donita Naylor

Social Engineering

What is it that people think they are accomplishing by diminishing the knowledge base of their children?

Guns are a real aspect of life, something that is extremely prevalent in society. Why would people want to decline to acknowledge that fact and in the process, deprive their children of real general knowledge?

These people that do this are completely unhinged from reality and are a danger to their offspring and the nation as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>The coalition, a citizens group dedicated to encouraging healthy lifestyles, will offer a package of cotton candy for each toy gun presented<snip>

Uh huh, healthy lifestyle starts with cotton candy.[banghead]

Children in Providence and East Providence can trade toy guns for [STRIKE]real candy[/STRIKE] a pink sun dress or [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] a box of Light Days with Wings on Friday and Saturday.

I fixed it for them. The pussification continues.

I rather them not have the toy guns, it's a great idea.

The cops end up thinking it's a real gun, blow the kid's head off and blame it on us and say there are too many real guns around and they cant tell the difference. Then we end up paying.

I am also one for getting rid of forks, we should revert back to sporks.

The cops end up thinking it's a real gun, blow the kid's head off and blame it on us and say there are too many real guns around and they cant tell the difference. Then we end up paying.

They are already doing stuff like that in some places in the U.S. and the world. Would this really change anything?

Joe R.

In the UK they have banned sharp tipped knives under certian conditions. I guess getting your throat sliced is nothing compared to getting poked in the gut.

The solution is STOP PAYING FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S STUPIDITY. Let nature take its natural course and thereby improve the quality of thinking of society instead of lowering the intelligence level to the lowest common denominator at the cost of the liberties of reasonable thinking people.

We will pay an exponentially higher price in the future when the people are mentally and physically disarmed and completely stripped of their liberty.
Every society in history that has voluntarily disarmed itself has perished into oblivion shortly thereafter.

uhh....im pretty sure ive had plenty of toy guns when i was a child. i've yet to shoot anyone on accident (or purpose), or point a gun (real or not) at a cop and thereby get shot.

or maybe i'm just that much higher up the natural selection food chain than these f***tards?

I can see where this is going.

Those of you with kids in RI should take them to this, dress them up in black and have them use their toy guns to rob the kids with cotton candy... lesson learned.

I can see these kids 10 years from now walking down a dark alley in RI, a creeper jumps out and puts a gun in his face and says give me all your money ... the fat flat foot (too much cotton candy) says.... wait.... you didnt pick the cotton candy?... and offers to trade him the gun for a mentos.

The coalition, a citizens group dedicated to encouraging healthy lifestyles, will offer a package of cotton candy for each toy gun presented.

Anyone else think that it is kind of funny that the healthy lifestyle coalition is giving away candy? Maybe its me....

Wow, you guys are harsh. I don't see what the problem is. They're just giving the kids the skills they'll need when they're adults; so they can quickly and efficiently participate in the real gun buy backs. If this program is a success, next year, since they won't have any toy guns left, they can start a toy welfare line where the kids can just line up and get the candy from the government for free.

Wow, you guys are harsh. I don't see what the problem is. They're just giving the kids the skills they'll need when they're adults; so they can quickly and efficiently participate in the real gun buy backs. If this program is a success, next year, since they won't have any toy guns left, they can start a toy welfare line where the kids can just line up and get the candy from the government for free.

on the road to komunizm [laugh2]

Nothing needed fixing and I stand by my original statement.

In the context of the situation at hand, the real solution is for kids not to play with real guns, but to be educated in a rational and proper manner as to their proper use and to know the difference.

In the context of the situation at hand, the real solution is for kids not to play with real guns, but to be educated in a rational and proper manner as to their proper use and to know the difference.

I don't disagree with what you write about real guns but "the context of the situation at hand" involves toy guns. Unless I'm in the wrong thread.

I don't disagree with what you write about real guns but "the context of the situation at hand" involves toy guns. Unless I'm in the wrong thread.

The true context of the situation that is being masked by editorial and media bias is that there is a group of people trying to falsely educate the general public and thereby socially engineer a specific outcome by their actions. The real situation is that toy guns have NOTHING to do with what process is trying to be pushed upon the public.

They are trying to insert a mindset into the public thinking that TOY guns are the root of gun violence and or accidents and nothing could be further from the truth.

The reality is that kids are kept completely ignorant of what real guns are and about and their proper use and place in life. They are kept in the dark and the shroud of mystery ALWAYS peaks their curiousity. When this happens and they lack proper education about real guns........accidents happen.

Any antigun libtard who tells you different is void of rationality and reality in their thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

^ haha nice.

The true context of the situation that is being masked by editorial and media bias is that there is a group of people trying to falsely educate the general public and thereby socially engineer a specific outcome by their actions. The real situation is that toy guns have NOTHING to do with what process is trying to be pushed upon the public.

They are trying to insert a mindset into the public thinking that TOY guns are the root of gun violence and or accidents and nothing could be further from the truth.

The reality is that kids are kept completely ignorant of what real guns are and about and their proper use and place in life. They are kept in the dark and the shroud of mystery ALWAYS peaks their curiousity. When this happens and they lack proper education about real guns........accidents happen.

Any antigun libtard who tells you different is void of rationality and reality in their thinking.

Again, I don't disagree with most of that. But when you "fixed" my post I assumed that you disagreed that kids should be encouraged to play with toy guns.

Frankly, I think that you have had a bit too much coffee this morning. But I like you.

Again, I don't disagree with most of that. But when you "fixed" my post I assumed that you disagreed that kids should be encouraged to play with toy guns.

Frankly, I think that you have had a bit too much coffee this morning. But I like you.

My "coffee consumption" has nothing to do with it.

If you agree with most of that, what part of what I wrote do you disagree with? I'm truly interested.

My "coffee consumption" has nothing to do with it.

If you agree with most of that, what part of what I wrote do you disagree with? I'm truly interested.

Like I have already indicated, I thought that you disagreed with my post because you "fixed" it. Maybe you didn't. I still don't know.

I'm leaving now to go get an extra large black.

Back
Top Bottom