totally new to this looking for advise

Nice! Did you try any of the other tests? You have a radio now right?
No I didnt have time. As life goes I had to pick someone up a Logan at 11am as their ride fell through so I didnt have time.
I did receive the uv-5r and have been playing with it. I picked up a programming cable today.
Weird thing is the Chirp software works fine. I can not get the Baofeng software to talk to the radio. Not a big deal but there are a few options in the baofeng software that I would like to use like setting the radio name.
I am going to try to restart the laptop at some point. Maybe the chirp software has the port locked or something.

I will keep screwing with it. I think this is going to be as bad as when I got my C&R except I have to go easy until I am employed again.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the drivers for the cable

The cable works with the CHIRP software just fine, all is well in device manager etc. It just wont work with the factory software. I am ok usin the CHIRP software but would like to get the factory software to work as well. It is a personal challenge now.
I may never use it but I need to see it work [angry]

I'm taking the test(s) this weekend. I already have a HT that I've been using to listen to the local repeater and the PD dispatch. I don't really have the space to set up anything permanent. At least not space that I can spare.

Google "Ham Go Box" to see what people make. I like the idea of the Pelican Case with everything mounted inside, powered off batteries. Some are small enough to toss in a (big) backpack, but I'm mostly interested in having it packable so it doesn't take up too much room.

Todd, for home use see if you can't rig an antenna for the HT. You can make a J-pole from copper pipe or make a roll-up one from twin-lead. Or make a ground plane one like Remsport did (see first page in this thread). Mount it as high as you can easily get it. My twin-lead J-pole is in my attic. Repeaters that are an unuseable S-1 with the HT's antenna indoors become S-8. Make 2 roll-up J-poles. One to mount and one for the go-kit.

Go to my QRZ page to get directions on how I built a ground plane antenna for 2 meter. Inexpensive, easy to build and less then $20.00 in parts you can get at Radio Shack and Home Depot
www.qrz.com
KC1ABV

I'm taking the test(s) this weekend. I already have a HT that I've been using to listen to the local repeater and the PD dispatch. I don't really have the space to set up anything permanent. At least not space that I can spare.

Google "Ham Go Box" to see what people make. I like the idea of the Pelican Case with everything mounted inside, powered off batteries. Some are small enough to toss in a (big) backpack, but I'm mostly interested in having it packable so it doesn't take up too much room.

good luck, the Technician test was pretty easy. I am now studying for the general. hopefully next month I will take it.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I just got home from the exams; I got my General certification! I'll be checking the FCC site hourly until it shows up. It'll be just like waiting for my LTC and checking the box of disappointment every day. Which leads me to my next story...

When we were filling out paperwork and paying for the exams, they wanted two forms of ID. I was over in NY so I thought I'd see what they thought of my LTC. Guy #1 checking IDs looks at it and goes "Hi Capacity. That'd be good for more than 7 rounds over here." We had a good chuckle at that absurdity. The guy behind me didn't have any photo ID. He had a temporary paper driver's license but nothing with his photo on it. ID checker #1 goes "I don't know, I like to see photo IDs." ID checker #2 says "Any two forms is good enough. He doesn't need photo ID." Guy #1 responds with "That's why you're a Democrat and I'm a Republican." We shared a nod and I moved on.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting into yet another hobby. Fortunately I work with a bunch of nerds so they can help me out.

Congratulations TD![cheers]
Now the whole world is at your mic. Since you have a Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam(CSCE) you can start transmitting on the General bands today. You just have to add "stroke AG" to the end of your call. You don't need to wait to see the license status change in the ULS. BTW, from noon today until noon tomorrow is Winter Field Day. There should be a lot of people to talk to.

Congratulations TD![cheers]
Now the whole world is at your mic. Since you have a Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam(CSCE) you can start transmitting on the General bands today. You just have to add "stroke AG" to the end of your call. You don't need to wait to see the license status change in the ULS. BTW, from noon today until noon tomorrow is Winter Field Day. There should be a lot of people to talk to.

Thanks! I did both Tech and General today so I don't have a call sign yet. As promised, I just checked the database and I'm not up there yet. Geez, I finished the test 2 hours ago, what gives!

Thanks! I did both Tech and General today so I don't have a call sign yet. As promised, I just checked the database and I'm not up there yet. Geez, I finished the test 2 hours ago, what gives!
Did my test last Saturday and I am also not listed yet. They said it can take up to 2 weeks. I think it has a lot to with with the exam still being on paper. They have to mail it in I am guessing then it gets processed manually.
The data base look up on the AARLl site says it is current as of jan 19th. I am guessing they do them in batches.
I am eagerly awaiting.

Nice job dude. Get an HF rig and read up on NVIS for reliable regional comms.

Will do.

I'm still checking hourly on the FCC site to get my call sign. It looks like I may not have made the cut for this week [sad2]. I hope there are still electrons and magnets in the air next week.

Will do.

I'm still checking hourly on the FCC site to get my call sign. It looks like I may not have made the cut for this week [sad2]. I hope there are still electrons and magnets in the air next week.
Just got mine today. The FCC site is updated daily, it appears the arrl site is only updated weekly.
I am now official .

Here is a link to the fcc page http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp
In the middle of the page select amateur then search by zip code

Last edited:
I have been studying and I am ready for the general test. It is still a couple weeks away for the Marlborough location. I couldn't find one with a closer date in this area.
I think I am going to start working on an antenna as I think I have all the parts except the actual connector so the cost will be minimal. Cant wait to get back to work so I can get some better equipment.

I assume you are taking it at the Marlboro Ham Flea Market. That's a good one. Bring some cash. I went there right after getting my ticket in 2010 and walke out with a 20A power supply, a 2M mobil rig and a 2M/70cm mag mount antenna all for about $110. All of it was scratched but works perfectly. I'm still using all that stuff.

I assume you are taking it at the Marlboro Ham Flea Market. That's a good one. Bring some cash. I went there right after getting my ticket in 2010 and walke out with a 20A power supply, a 2M mobil rig and a 2M/70cm mag mount antenna all for about $110. All of it was scratched but works perfectly. I'm still using all that stuff.
Actually the only one I saw was the one at the library. What is the date of the show, maybe I will do it there and kill 2 birds with one stone. Although I dont have much free cash these days.

Back
Top Bottom