totally new to this looking for advise

Ok I will admit I know nothing about Ham radio but I have always wanted to get my license. I started looking at some of the sample tests that are available on the internet and it seems a lot of it is based on electronics and antenna theory. Both of which I have experience with. The other sections except for who is allowed to do what on what frequencies seem to be mostly common sense. I am sure I can pass the test with some studying.

So my question is on a basic of basics level ( due to no income) what would the minimum I would need for equipment to start playing with this, assuming I pass the test.
It seems it is like most other hobbies as there is a lot of nomenclature and acronyms to learn. Is this something that I should take a class for or sit with someone who has done this for a while to learn.

Thanks
Chet

Chet, ham radio has many facets. You can get a handi-talkie and listen/talk to the local repeaters. You could get into low-band DXing, microwaves, etc. What is your interest in the hobby?

You can pick up a two-meter rig your you car or home for a few hundred dollars. There is another thread about the Baofeng UV-5R handheld for less than $50. A lot of people, myself included, started with a handheld listening to the repeaters in our cars while we drive. Of course, just like firearms, you can spend a LOT more money than you would ever think.

Bottom line the Tech test is easy, just drill the practice tests on QRZ.com and you'll be fine. Amateur radio can seem very overwhelming at first with a plethora of options and ways to spend your money. As far as money to burn I think you and I are in the same boat. I just don't have the coin to drop on my ideal home rig with power supply, mobile unit, antenna, tuner, etc, so I opted to start with a handheld transceiver (HT) and work my way up from there. The $38 Baofeng radios seem to be a pretty affordable option especially for a beginner. Check out the thread on the UV-5R (link below). I had previous work experience with Motorola HTs so I opted for that route instead. Bottom line, the more you learn the more money you can save yourself in the long run (making antennas, cabling, etc). there are even kits you can buy to build your own fully functioning transceiver.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/177337-UV-5R

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007H4VT7A

Chet, ham radio has many facets. You can get a handi-talkie and listen/talk to the local repeaters. You could get into low-band DXing, microwaves, etc. What is your interest in the hobby?

You can pick up a two-meter rig your you car or home for a few hundred dollars. There is another thread about the Baofeng UV-5R handheld for less than $50. A lot of people, myself included, started with a handheld listening to the repeaters in our cars while we drive. Of course, just like firearms, you can spend a LOT more money than you would ever think.
Im not sure what my goal is but hopefully that will come after I get my feet wet. By listening to repeaters what exactly are transmitted over these repeaters. Is it other people using hams conversations. I have always loved the concept of 2 way radio and was into CB back when everyone had one. The company I worked for had 2 ways in our cars in the pre cell phone era and it was interesting to me.
Looking at that inexpensive hand held it seems it would be an affordable entry into the hobby.
I am going to take the test soon.
What functionality would I gain by going to the 2 meter unit for a couple hundred over the cheap hand held.

Thanks, hope I am not being a pita

Start with the BaofengHT. You can get them on Amazon for under $40 shipped. It does all my $160 Yaesu FT-60R will do. Seriously. It even has some features my Yaesu doesn't have. You won't need a better HT unless you get into the fancy technical stuff like D-Star (digital stuff) or APRS (automated packet/position reporting), etc. If you just want to talk and listen, get the Baofeng for now.

For about $15 in Home Depot copper pipe you can make a 2M J-pole antenna to put on your roof or in your attic (mine's in the attic) and you'll be able to hit repeaters much further away.

Go to ham flea markets for cheap stuff. That's how I got my FT-2600 (2M, 65W mobile rig), 12V power supply and mag mount 2M/70cm antenna. Here's a list. The Marlboro one next month is a good one.

Ham radio isn't a hobby. It's 99 hobbies. You can just be social on the 2M repeaters with a Tech license or with a General you can be social all over the world. There's contesting or just working Dx stations and collecting QSL cards (the ham equivalent of collecting baseball cards). Witht the tech ticket you can do public service and do comms in an orange vest at parades, marathons, etc. You can get as technical as you want. There's lots of things you can build. It can be part of your prepping plan, or you can take it camping. Learning Morse is a real personal challenge, like learning a forign language, but with it you can work the world with a 4W rig that fits in a lunch box and cost under $200, or you can build one from a $50 kit (this weekeng I'll be working Morse from a boy scout cabin in NH).

Get your ticket, jump in and see what aspects you like.

Start with the BaofengHT. You can get them on Amazon for under $40 shipped. It does all my $160 Yaesu FT-60R will do. Seriously. It even has some features my Yaesu doesn't have. You won't need a better HT unless you get into the fancy technical stuff like D-Star (digital stuff) or APRS (automated packet/position reporting), etc. If you just want to talk and listen, get the Baofeng for now.

For about $15 in Home Depot copper pipe you can make a 2M J-pole antenna to put on your roof or in your attic (mine's in the attic) and you'll be able to hit repeaters much further away.

Go to ham flea markets for cheap stuff. That's how I got my FT-2600 (2M, 65W mobile rig), 12V power supply and mag mount 2M/70cm antenna. Here's a list. The Marlboro one next month is a good one.

Ham radio isn't a hobby. It's 99 hobbies. You can just be social on the 2M repeaters with a Tech license or with a General you can be social all over the world. There's contesting or just working Dx stations and collecting QSL cards (the ham equivalent of collecting baseball cards). Witht the tech ticket you can do public service and do comms in an orange vest at parades, marathons, etc. You can get as technical as you want. There's lots of things you can build. It can be part of your prepping plan, or you can take it camping. Learning Morse is a real personal challenge, like learning a forign language, but with it you can work the world with a 4W rig that fits in a lunch box and cost under $200, or you can build one from a $50 kit (this weekeng I'll be working Morse from a boy scout cabin in NH).

Get your ticket, jump in and see what aspects you like.
I ordered it last night.
Where can I find these antenna plans for the copper antenna.

Thanks

I just made a VHF ground plane if you are interested I have directions on how to build this antenna on my QRZ page in my bio. Photo of this antenna set up in my office for test it will be going outside on the house as soon as I get a chance.
www.qrz.com
KC1ABV

vhf ant.jpg

Last edited:
By listening to repeaters what exactly are transmitted over these repeaters. Is it other people using hams conversations.
[\QUOTE]
That's about it. People's conversations. There are a bunch of nets that also meet on the repeaters. These range from informal to traffic passing. The informal nets may have some other elements to them like trivia, technical questions, etc. Mostly just fun.

Looking at that inexpensive hand held it seems it would be an affordable entry into the hobby.
What functionality would I gain by going to the 2 meter unit for a couple hundred over the cheap hand held.

A handheld will give you a couple of watts output on one or two bands (usually 2meters or 440MHz). You can still attach an external antenna. I used a mag mount antenna with my FT60 for quite some time. The more expensive solution (something like a FT8900) is a larger unit that puts out more power. You can typically use these for mobile installs or base stations, but not man portable. Other than that, they (handhelds and mobiles) are pretty much the same.

Thanks, hope I am not being a pita

Nope, you are not.

Get the license. I have a radio or two I can loan you.
I am going to take the test Saturday in Marlborough. If the real test is like the practice tests I don't anticipate an issue. I have been doing well on the practice tests. how long after you pass the test does it usually take to get listed?

If I remember correctly the license should appear on the website in a week to 10 days.

I am going to take the test Saturday in Marlborough.
Then start working the General questions and go to the Marlborough Flea on 2/15. Shop for gear then take the General test there at the flea. You've got the boulder rolling. Keep it rolling until you've got your General[thumbsup]

Then start working the General questions and go to the Marlborough Flea on 2/15. Shop for gear then take the General test there at the flea. You've got the boulder rolling. Keep it rolling until you've got your General[thumbsup]
I don't think I am ready to shop for gear as I would not know what I am getting at this point.
Are you going to this swap meet. Maybe I could connect with you or anyone here who is going.

Learning Morse is a real personal challenge, like learning a forign language, but with it you can work the world with a 4W rig that fits in a lunch box and cost under $200, or you can build one from a $50 kit (this weekeng I'll be working Morse from a boy scout cabin in NH).

Could you post an example of the type of equipment required for that sort of communication? I've heard of that type of equipment, would be curious to check it out. Thanks!

Could you post an example of the type of equipment required for that sort of communication? I've heard of that type of equipment, would be curious to check it out. Thanks!

Antenna:
* Make a pain dipole from wire. You only get 1 band with each antenna unless you use a tuner. Dirt cheap and rolls up small.
* Use a half wave end fed with a SOTA tuner ($30). This is my personal favorite. A 63' wire gets me 40M, 20M, 15M and 10M bands.

Morse Key: Whatever. You can spend $15 on a straight key or $500 on a brass piece of art.

Rig: The options are endless. There's 1/2W kits for <$50 that fit in an Altoids tin. There's kits made by Elecraft with performance that blows away many base stations, but the kit can cost $500 with the internal tuner and all 4 bands.
* Search "QRP" on ebay. You can get a lot of this stuff used.
* Any kit designed by Steve Weber will be a great radio. They are mostly sold here.
* The MFJ Cub single band cw rigs are good. Here's one example of the cub.
* The MFJ 94xx series of single band cw or SSB+cw are also good radios. You can usually find them on eBay for <$200. I have a used MFJ9420: 20M, 10W SSB and CW rig. I plugged it into my base station's simple wire antenna and immediately talked SSB to someone in California from Massachusetts with 10W.

Here's my rig.
The radio is a 2 band (40M/20M), 4W cw only unit that I got new for $180 off ebay. It was cheap because it's being replaced by a 4 band model: 80/40/30/20.
The antenna is a SOTA tuner with 63' of 22AWG wire. I use mason's string to hang it. I usually bring a sling shot with a fishing reel hose clamped to the wrist bar and a 1oz fishing weight. I can put an antenna 50' up in a tree with that.
The key is a Te-Ne-Key. $60 with base.
A 15' piece of mini-coax. With the end fed antenna that's all I need since the coax connects to the bottom of the wire.
SAM_0434_zpsca3216ea.jpg

Last edited:
Got the radio today. now I just have to learn how to use it. The book that came with it is useless to say the least.
Anyone have a link to a better manual for it

Chet

I didn't see what radio you got; since the manual was crappy I'll assume you got a Baofeng. If you have the USB programming cable download chirp to program the radio and import the repeaters from repeaterbook. If you didn't get the usb cable; go get one.

Also check out www.miklor.com they have a lot of info and tips/tricks for the radios.

I didn't see what radio you got; since the manual was crappy I'll assume you got a Baofeng. If you have the USB programming cable download chirp to program the radio and import the repeaters from repeaterbook. If you didn't get the usb cable; go get one.

Also check out www.miklor.com they have a lot of info and tips/tricks for the radios.
I think there is actually a local store that has them. I already downloaded the software and have found a redone manual on line that is a little better. The one that comes in the box has virtually no information at all.
I am going to see if I can get a cable today

The software is really helpful. You might want to program a couple of repeaters manually to get the feel of it.

Test tomorrow? Good luck!!!

I've got one you can borrow, but I won't be home until Saturday.

I have a cable you can use if you can't find one locally or all other plans fall through

Thanks I will let you know. I did some playing with the radio and watched a few videos and I think I can handle getting one or two in. The local place said he will have more on Tuesday. If not I may take one of you up on the offer.

Thanks

The software is really helpful. You might want to program a couple of repeaters manually to get the feel of it.

Test tomorrow? Good luck!!!

That is my plan. I have already looked at the software and it seems similar to what I have used in the past for scanner programming. The youtube videos and a manual someone wrote made things a little easier to understand.

I will let you know how I make out on the test.

Back
Top Bottom