Toronto, Canada to ban all handguns...

From the article,

Under Canadian law, handguns require a special license that can only be obtained if the owner is a target shooter, collector or requires one for work purposes. They must also pass two trainings from government-approved instructors and wait a period of 28 days.

Sounds an awful lot like Boston, only quicker.

The article doesn’t mention what will happen to current hand gun owners if they decide to ban them entirely. Grandfathered in? Or are they going to start knocking on doors and taking them like zee Germans did?

From the article,

Under Canadian law, handguns require a special license that can only be obtained if the owner is a target shooter, collector or requires one for work purposes. They must also pass two trainings from government-approved instructors and wait a period of 28 days.

Sounds an awful lot like Boston, only quicker.

The article doesn’t mention what will happen to current hand gun owners if they decide to ban them entirely. Grandfathered in? Or are they going to start knocking on doors and taking them like zee Germans did?

I'm betting they'll take them like the Germans did....

Major city votes for total ban on handgun sales after mass shooting

You've got to feel for gun owners in that city. Now the only people that will have the guns will be the criminals. And the gun owners of course will be made to feel like criminals...
The article says the law would ban sales of handguns....not make handguns illegal altogether.

I obviously don't agree with such a law....but dang....lets read.....comprehend....then speak logically about how much the law suck mmmkay?

Last edited:
The vote was also to call on the federal level to impose the restriction of handgun sales, the Toronto city council/mayor itself does not that authority.

The vote was also to call on the federal level to impose the restriction of handgun sales, the Toronto city council/mayor itself does not that authority.
Sales in Toronto only? Or sales nationally?

My take on it is that the city can't ban handgun sales on its own anyway......

Ok to all the nesers that don't read articles before posting about them.....or for those that read them but fail to comprehend.

The city voted for a PROPOSAL to the national gov to ban handgun SALES in Toronto. They can't do it themselves

The city’s motion, which passed 41-4, both calls on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government to outlaw the sale of handguns and urges the provincial government to ban handgun ammunition sales in Toronto. The council also voted for stronger prevention against gun sales for domestic abusers and people with mental illness, as well as a crackdown on gun trafficking.

I don’t understand this at all... well, I do but..

Did the perp have one of these impossible to obtain licenses?

Did the perp buy this gun legally at a Toronto gun shop?
Is this a case of that now infamous Toronto gun show “loop hole”?

If not, and the gun was illegally obtained then what law will stop future illegal sales?

Why not just pass a law making it illegal for terrorists to shoot at people in public? And also make murder illegal? Seems that would be massively more effective. And also make it illegal for terrorists to buy guns illegally on the black market.

The article says the law would ban sales of handguns....not make handguns illegal altogether.

I obviously don't agree with such a law....but dang....lets read.....comprehend....then speak logically about how much the law suck mmmkay?

He’s making the logical assumption that when the ban on sales fails to do anything, they’ll ban ownership.

If not, and the gun was illegally obtained then what law will stop future illegal sales?

Why not just pass a law making it illegal for terrorists to shoot at people in public? And also make murder illegal? Seems that would be massively more effective. And also make it illegal for terrorists to buy guns illegally on the black market.

They don’t know, or more likely aren’t saying how he got his gun. It doesnt matter, this is not a practical attempt to eliminate gun violence, it’s an emotional attack on guns and anyone who wants to have one, cause they don’t like guns and don’t think anyone should want to own one.

A law begets a law, begets a law, begets a law. Like, let's just ban smoking on intercontinental flights........Sound reasonable.

They don’t know, or more likely aren’t saying how he got his gun. It doesnt matter, this is not a practical attempt to eliminate gun violence, it’s an emotional attack on guns and anyone who wants to have one, cause they don’t like guns and don’t think anyone should want to own one.
Gun show loophole no doubt.

He’s making the logical assumption that when the ban on sales fails to do anything, they’ll ban ownership.
Where did the op say that? Op said "now" only criminals will have guns. The thread title says "Toronto Canada to ban all handguns". Sensationalist title......not even close to the truth. Makes it sound like the law passed.....and only a proposal was passed because the Toronto city gment doesn't have the power to do it.

Words matter. We need to argue the anti logically....and properly informed. The statement that this could lead to more laws is valid though. It was not communicated here though.

Last edited:

Exactly! But if they actually did something to solve the problem, how would they get elected and justify all of the money they steal from the good, tax-paying citizens of Canada?

Right. Because they want a monopoly on force and to have complete control over their populace.

It has been proven time and time again that handgun bans don't work. Shit-cago and DC both used to have handgun bans (before they were struck down by SCOTUS) and they didn't work in either city.

[rofl]
Yeah because that's worked sooooo well.
And if we keep making sensationalist statements that show a total lack of

1. Reading comprehension
2. Effort to actually read an article

That helps us how?

It just makes us look stupid .

Polling released last year also shows that a significant majority of Canadians ― around 69 percent ― would favor a strict ban on guns in urban areas.
This will be Canada’s undoing as it shows how quickly the lemmings will jump the cliff.

The article contradicts itself by saying they need tougher gun laws and with the tough gun laws they have can’t understand how this event happened. It’s clear what happened...a criminal decided to crim.

And if we keep making sensationalist statements that show a total lack of

1. Reading comprehension
2. Effort to actually read an article

That helps us how?

It just makes us look stupid .
I'm not arguing that reading shit is important, I just find it hilarious that you want to argue logically with the illogical.

I am from Canada and had a restricted permit there when I was 16 or 17 I took the course. Granted I didn't own a handgun but you can't hunt with a handgun in canada, at least not in Nova scotia and any ranges were not near me.

When I took my course it was 2 days one day on long guns one of pistol and then a written test and a practical safe handling test you had to pass both. There was no live fire

Now it is 2 seperate courses I believe

The regulations are strict enough to prevent those who obey the law and will never stop those who refuse to.

Back
Top Bottom