• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took my dad tuna fishing

CMEBoston

NES Member
I was short for crew last week so my dad came along and we nailed this 300lb 81" fish. My father was a commercial fisherman and its been hell trying to get him out on a boat again. I don't think we will have that issue anymore! The fish was one of the highest paying fish on the Japanese market this weekend and we were compensated very fairly for our effort. The next fish will pay for a new toy..... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349897751.252487.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349897781.038427.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349897806.940569.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wish i could go deep sea fishing. looks awesome. Tried it once in Cabo but apparently i get sea sick. BAAAAAD sea sick. Like, pray for death sea sick. So no boats for me.

Talking about this particular fish?
We are going to try and give it another shot tomorrow if the wind lets up a little, gonna blow for the next week..... My dad just joined Nauset rod n gun club so worst case scenario we can go shoot my M1A and new colt M4 for a while.

Wow... As someone who knows nothing about fishing, what is the process for selling one these Tuna and if you don't mind a very ball park figure of what they go for.

Cool pictures too.

Talking about this particular fish?
We are going to try and give it another shot tomorrow if the wind lets up a little, gonna blow for the next week..... My dad just joined Nauset rod n gun club so worst case scenario we can go shoot my M1A and new colt M4 for a while.

Sounded like it, they were on their way out the door and I was busy so didnt ask.

Wow... As someone who knows nothing about fishing, what is the process for selling one these Tuna and if you don't mind a very ball park figure of what they go for.

Cool pictures too.

I have to have a Federal tuna permit and a ton of safety gear. there are a few tuna "brokers" that know the market very well. When I catch a fish it is imperative I calm it down, cool it down and bleed it while its heart is still pumping. getting the temperature down gets the lactic acid out of the meat and makes for a better product. When the fish is on the deck I call the broker and he meets me with a truck, from there it is weighed and unloaded. when he gets it to his plant he will take off the head and tail and give me a dressed weight. then he will soak it in a vat of slush water for a few hours, this brings out the fat in the meat. from here he decides what the grade of the fish is and if it is worth it to ship it to japan or sell domestically. this fish went to japan and did very well on the market, 4000 yen per kilogram, about $23 a pound, i got paid $14.50 lb for a dressed weight of 232 lbs. About $3300

I have to have a Federal tuna permit and a ton of safety gear. there are a few tuna "brokers" that know the market very well. When I catch a fish it is imperative I calm it down, cool it down and bleed it while its heart is still pumping. getting the temperature down gets the lactic acid out of the meat and makes for a better product. When the fish is on the deck I call the broker and he meets me with a truck, from there it is weighed and unloaded. when he gets it to his plant he will take off the head and tail and give me a dressed weight. then he will soak it in a vat of slush water for a few hours, this brings out the fat in the meat. from here he decides what the grade of the fish is and if it is worth it to ship it to japan or sell domestically. this fish went to japan and did very well on the market, 4000 yen per kilogram, about $23 a pound, i got paid $14.50 lb for a dressed weight of 232 lbs. About $3300

Awesome, no doubt, you definately work for that paycheck !

Good info and thanks for sharing.

I was thinking wasabi/kikkoman and sashimi feast.

"Send it" via iPhone M107A1

Oh yeah...that's how I spend my leisure time live-lining on Stellwagen Bank. Nice to spend time with Dad and the fish was the bonus.

Back
Top Bottom