• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tokarev 33: Thoughts?

Hello guys!

I am looking for a first pistol, and being a huge fan of Russian WW2 firearms along with not spending a lot of money, the TT-33 has come up. I also know of a store which received a shipment and has them in stock. Do any of you have experience with this handgun? I have been reading mixed reviews online about it; some people love it, yet others criticize it and call it unsafe. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the different countries who manufactured this pistol added/changed slightly some of the parts. I believe the ones for sale are Yugoslavian and "new" (probably cosmolined at some point).

I have a Chinese Tok and have never had a problem with it. The TT-33 Tokarev is a great pistol for what it is. I would not buy it as a regular gun, but for a milsurp it is a good gun. What I mean by that is I do not buy milsurp pistols as a carry gun, a target gun or a recreational shooter. I buy them for their place in history, their unique early design and their role in the development in the military pistol. If you are collecting the pistols of the major powers in WWII then a Nagant 1895 and a Tokarev would be cool. So, concerns about how other people like them, how it is to shoot, and the lack of an external safety would not into in the decision for me. Some milsurps I own I have never shot. Shooting them is nice and I do it on occasion, but that is not why I buy them.

The truth is, if you are looking for a better gun, there are lots of modern guns out there that will perform much better and be in a more common caliber. But they will not have the history or the uniqueness that makes collecting milsurps so exciting.

I hope that helps.

^ what he said.
Plus also consider that the 7.62x25 round is hot as hell and tends to overpenetrate. A wonderful thing on a battlefield of course, but not so much for everyday carry or home defense. (unless you live alone in the middle of the woods.). ;-)

I have a Romanian and a Yugo (M57). I prefer the Yugo. Awesome guns just be advised that they may not be safe to carry with one in the chamber. I heard they can go off when dropped. The 7.62x25 rounds (milsurp) are plentiful but corrosive- use ammonia to clean the residue out or your gun will start to rust.
Great gun for cheap money. If you don;t already have one, get a C&R license and you will find one much cheaper (xxxxxxxx- around 210)....

Hello guys!

I am looking for a first pistol, and being a huge fan of Russian WW2 firearms along with not spending a lot of money, the TT-33 has come up. I also know of a store which received a shipment and has them in stock. Do any of you have experience with this handgun? I have been reading mixed reviews online about it; some people love it, yet others criticize it and call it unsafe. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the different countries who manufactured this pistol added/changed slightly some of the parts. I believe the ones for sale are Yugoslavian and "new" (probably cosmolined at some point).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Polish TT33, it's sort of a "clunky" gun. As mentioned, not a great range gun, carry gun or target gun, but an interesting piece. The add on safety levers are extremely crude. Donald, please edit the vendor out of your post.

I have a Romanian and a Yugo (M57). I prefer the Yugo. Awesome guns just be advised that they may not be safe to carry with one in the chamber. I heard they can go off when dropped. The 7.62x25 rounds (milsurp) are plentiful but corrosive- use ammonia to clean the residue out or your gun will start to rust.
Great gun for cheap money. If you don;t already have one, get a C&R license and you will find one much cheaper (xxxxxxxx- around 210)....

The ammonia acts on the copper, but not the corrosive salts. Its the water in Windex that does the work.

I recently bought the romanian TT33 as my with 400 rounds at .21 PPR. I fired all 400 rounds my first time out to the range and had roughly 6 or 7 failure to ejects and 2 failure to fire. I blame this on he surplus ammo. The gun is super super easy to dissasemble and clean. The hammer has a half cock that was the original safety mechanism on the pistol which is fool proof and would never go off unannounced. The only danger is relying on the aftermarket safety that was installed for importing reasons. Do not rely on this safety and you will be good to go.

All that being said WHAT A RIOT TO SHOOT! I love this gun I think it's a sweet pistol. Be sure to pick up some extra magazines when ordering. I have three total and find that adequate.

I would buy another one in a new york minute.

Last edited:
It is the best poor handling, unbalanced, clunking chunk of steel you can buy. Rather uncomfortable in the hand, accuracy is ok for using old surplus ammo...but the fun factor!! just a blast to shoot and ammo was cheap a few months ago...Easy to take apart and put back together. the trigger group just lifts out, how cool is that! Best $229 you'll ever spend on a gun IMHO

If you decide you want one, I have one that I'll sell for $200 and that includes the old leather holster that came with it, two mags, and a box of new (not surplus) 7.62x25. I need to save up some money for a Ruger SR9c.

If you decide you want one, I have one that I'll sell for $200 and that includes the old leather holster that came with it, two mags, and a box of new (not surplus) 7.62x25. I need to save up some money for a Ruger SR9c.[/QUOTE]

Maker and picture in a PM?

Your mail box is full plz empty.
..MJ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom