• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Today I made my Mosin go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Please excuse my childlike excitement but this gun was so much fun to shoot. I went to the range today during an extended lunch break [wink] and took my newly acquired Mosin Nagant 91/30 along with me. I have never shot a Mosin before in fact I have little to no experience shooting rifles except my old Army M16 ten million years ago. What a blast this gun was! I must admit I was somewhat nervous about it though. I picked up my gun Saturday (NES Group Buy). Sunday I cleaned, oiled, and adjusted the firing pin per everything I have read and seen (youtube) regarding that, and put it all back together. Today, Monday, I took it to the range. The disassembly and reassembly of the gun was so simple I thought for sure I must have missed something, thought I would get to the range, pull the trigger and it would blow up in my face![shocked] Fortunately that did not happen and it shot great, accurate as well. I even made a video of me shooting it but embarrassingly in the middle of the video I realized I really didnt know how to properly load the rounds. [thinking] Eventually I figured it out and had a fun time at the range!

Welcome to the addiction! Now dump some Windex down that barrel and clean all of that corrosive crap out of it so it's ready to go next time.

I'm always a little nervous when i fire the first round on a new fire arm. if its old i actually turn my face away and let first round go. better to be safe than sorry.

Congrats! I took mine out yesterday for the third time, and it's such a blast. 40 more rounds down and no mosin shoulder, lol.

I'm disappointed. I clicked on this thread expecting to see a Mosin with an elmer fudd type barrel thing going on. [laugh]

-Mike

My first time shooting mine I ended up with "Mosin Face". I had visible bruising on my cheek where it rests on the stock. After a few dozen rounds I started feeling it in my shoulder, but the face fared the worst. I didn't care, it was awesome.

I've managed to avoid the "mosins breeding in the safe" problem... I imagine you need to have at least two before THAT becomes a problem! [rofl]

70 years old, mid-war production Ishvesk (sp??) and I was nervous too... First two were shot from the hip!
You're right, they're a blast.

I'm disappointed. I clicked on this thread expecting to see a Mosin with an elmer fudd type barrel thing going on. [laugh]

-Mike
[rofl]
Mike, honestly that was the picture I had in my mind when I got to the range as well.

Well I am glad to hear that I wasnt alone about being nervous shooting this old gun for the first time. I like the shooting from the hip idea, wish I would have thought of that. I did have one mishap though............I actually reloaded and shot a round without putting my earplugs on![shocked] I was in one of those outdoor covered "box type" firing lanes too. Man that thing is loud! Hope my eardrum is okay.

Welcome to the addiction! Now dump some Windex down that barrel and clean all of that corrosive crap out of it so it's ready to go next time.
Is this type treatment really necessary? I mean if it is I will do it, but these guns survived all these years and I doubt anyone was doing it to them before?

You're [likely] shooting corrosive ammo, clean that bitch! Or at least some windex down the barrel. Or something with Acetone, correct?

Is this type treatment really necessary? I mean if it is I will do it, but these guns survived all these years and I doubt anyone was doing it to them before?

If you're shooting surplus ammo, yes, it is. Unless you don't give a shit, just buy another mosin next time you go shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

You're [likely] shooting corrosive ammo, clean that bitch! Or at least some windex down the barrel. Or something with Acetone, correct?

Ammonia, not acetone.

Yes, it is, or you'll end up in rust city in no time. Just flush with windex and run a boresnake down after to wipe out anything left over.

-Mike

Yes, it is, or you'll end up in rust city in no time. Just flush with windex and run a boresnake down after to wipe out anything left over.

-Mike

Definitey spray some windex on the bolt too. Give it a decent scrub then wipe down with oil. I take apart the bolt and clean everything with windex and then oil them after every range trip. Might be overkill but easy enough to do and gives me peace of mind.

I have several handguns and long guns but every time I take friends shooting their favorite gun at the end of the day is mosin. Everyone. Mine was booming this afternoon too :)

I shot my 91/30 Sniper today for the first time as well. I soaked a patch with Windex and and ran it through the barrel probably 10 times then changed the patch and repeated. I did this with maybe 3/4 patches. I then ran a bore brush down the barrel with Hoppes 9. Then a light oil on a patch. Did I do the Windex enough or should I have done more?

Should I clean the bolt and receiver with Windex as well?

What's "Mosin Face"

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot my 91/30 Sniper today for the first time as well. I soaked a patch with Windex and and ran it through the barrel probably 10 times then changed the patch and repeated. I did this with maybe 3/4 patches. I then ran a bore brush down the barrel with Hoppes 9. Then a light oil on a patch. Did I do the Windex enough or should I have done more?

Should I clean the bolt and receiver with Windex as well?

Definitely clean the bolt. The bolt face is getting a decent amount of fouling on it after each shot. Certainly not like a AK or SKS but its just good to clean the bolt after shooting. Doesn't take very long.

With the receiver, I use a 12 gauge shotgun brush and a rod and clean inside the receiver (chamber area). Helps the bolt open and close a little smoother if you keep the chamber cleaned and lightly oiled.

Ok Thanks. I will do that. I bought a box of ammo at a local shop so I am assuming that it is non corrosive. But I have surplus ammo in order that is so I will be sure to do this.

How many times should I use a clean Windex soaked patch and how many passes should I make for each patch?

Back
Top Bottom