Today I made my Mosin go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

I shot my 91/30 Sniper today for the first time as well. I soaked a patch with Windex and and ran it through the barrel probably 10 times then changed the patch and repeated. I did this with maybe 3/4 patches. I then ran a bore brush down the barrel with Hoppes 9. Then a light oil on a patch. Did I do the Windex enough or should I have done more?

Should I clean the bolt and receiver with Windex as well?

What's "Mosin Face"

Are you shooting corrosive surplus ammo or commercial brass cased rounds? The video looks like you have some PPU brass rounds. I have to try some of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this ammo at Northeast Traders just to try out the gun so I assume that it is commercial brass ammo. I ordered surplus from SGAmmo.com

All you need after using corrosive ammo is water or something water-based. You're really interested in dissolving and washing out the corrosive salts from the primer. Ammonia will clean out any copper, but doesn't work on the salts. The Brits actually had little funnels/tubes they'd stick in their Enfields' bores, then they'd pour boiling water down the bore. After sluicing with water (I use patches with fresh water)and brushing, run a dry patch or two to remove the watery goop and then use your normal cleaning process. Check your bore the next day just to make sure you got all the bad stuff out.

I love shooting my Mosins. Definitely grab a carbine and see if you can find a Finnish M39.

Last edited:
Interesting In the Army we'd often clean our M16's by dipping them into 50 gallon immersion heaters. Worked like a charm to clean out every nook and cranny but it tended to piss off the Mess Sergeants.

Yeah as stated windex is good for the copper and water actually neutralizes the salts. But since windex is like 95% water, you're getting the benefit of both in one cleaner. So you can either pour water down the barrel followed by ammonia every so often to keep the copper fouling down or just use windex.

Yeah you don't need to worry about corrosive salts with new commercial brass ammo. I almost picked up a box the other weekend at Collectable Arms but its some pricy stuff. I'll have to get into reloading x54r at some point down the road to make some nice accurate rounds. But buying spam cans for $90-$100 is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Silly question but I'd rather be safe than sorry, what do you guys use to clean the cosmoline off the Mosin? Thanks in advance.....

Not silly at all. There are a number of methods, ranging from mineral spirits to heat. A few years back I bought a Steam Shark - it blasts the cosmo right off the metal, but can make a real mess. Don't ask how I know this. [wink] Once the cosmo's off, of course, give it a light coating of oil. Be sure to disassemble and clean out the bolt - for some reason cosmo likes to gravitate to the firing pin & spring.

Oh...make sure the chamber is spotlessly clean. If you wind up using lacquered steel case ammo, the lacquer and cosmoline will blend and form a glue-like goop, resulting in sticky bolt syndrome. You'll literally need a 2x4 and a come-along to work the bolt!

Last edited:
Not silly at all. There are a number of methods, ranging from mineral spirits to heat. A few years back I bought a Steam Shark - it blasts the cosmo right off the metal, but can make a real mess. Don't ask how I know this. [wink] Once the cosmo's off, of course, give it a light coating of oil. Be sure to disassemble and clean out the bolt - for some reason cosmo likes to gravitate to the firing pin & spring.

Oh...make sure the chamber is spotlessly clean. If you wind up using lacquered steel case ammo, the lacquer and cosmoline will blend and form a glue-like goop, resulting in sticky bolt syndrome. You'll literally need a 2x4 and a come-along to work the bolt!

I used mineral spirits to do mine and worked great. Ideally though this is probably a job best done outside but we live in New England............so you gotta do what you gotta do.

How long do you spend cleaning after a day shooting corrosive ammo?

For cleaning the barrel, bolt, receiver/chamber and including disassembly/reassembly time, probably 30 minutes or so if I had to guess.

Definitely get a boresnake to speed up the process. I occasionally use a brush and patches but the boresnake works good enough for me.

Last edited:
How long do you spend cleaning after a day shooting corrosive ammo?
I use warm dish soapy water...down the bore. got a tight fitting mop and you can pump the water in and out from the breach end. I use dollar store windex on the bolt...about 10 min.
i got lazy and now reload for my mosin

The mosin addiction is strong here. Just picked up my third one since buying my first last year. The latest is a nice tula hex.

Another option for dealing with corrosive ammo is to clean with Ballistol mixed with water... 1:10 ratio. The water dissolves the salts and when the water evaporates it leaves behind the Ballistol. to protect the metal.

A Mosin may be next on my list.

I hope you were extremly late getting back to the office! Especially the first time, its difficult to put the Mosin down. No way I could just shoot it during a lunch hour!!!

For cleaning the barrel, bolt, receiver/chamber and including disassembly/reassembly time, probably 30 minutes or so if I had to guess.

Definitely get a boresnake to speed up the process. I occasionally use a brush and patches but the boresnake works good enough for me.

Thanks Andrew

It may not be possible to MAKE the effing things go elmer fudd..... these guys tried to blow one up... TWICE... on purpose! (see 2nd time at 7 minute mark)

If you're one of those guys who cries about milsurp abuse, DO NOT, watch this... you'll bawl your eyes out. [rofl]

Do you dissassemble the bolt or just clean it assembled?

When I got my 91/30, the bolt looked clean on the outside but after breaking it down I found that there was plenty of Cosmo on the inside. Definitely detail strip and clean that bolt when you first get it. After firing corrosive ammo I just rinse it with hot water, blow it out with air, clean it regularly with #9 and then lube it with light oil.

You might want to pick up a mosin nagant "tool". They're useful in setting the correct protrusion of the firing pin. They're cheap too.

Yeah I disassemble the bolt when I clean it. It's pretty easy to disassemble/assemble the bolt once you watch a couple youtube videos and do it a few times. It's much easier to take apart than an AK or SKS bolt.

I'm guessing you would have got the tool kit with your mosin? That's all you need to disassemble the whole gun and then check firing pin protrusion. With the firing pin protrusion, I think as long as you match up the little cutout line going across the back of the cocking knob/safety with the line across the back of the firing pin after you've screwed on the cocking knob the whole way, then you're fine. But occassionally I double check it with the tool just to be sure.

I hope you were extremly late getting back to the office! Especially the first time, its difficult to put the Mosin down. No way I could just shoot it during a lunch hour!!!
'

I was out there for about 2 hours. I obviously would prefer to go and take my time and stay as long as I like but I just couldnt wait. Plus I think we had snow and extreme cold in the forecast so I wanted to make sure I got out there.

This was my first time shooting the Nagant. I had a little trouble with the bolt at first but slowly got the hang of it. Still deciding what I can do to make it a little easier. Regardless..............it was a blast!

Back
Top Bottom