To Shoot Or Not To Shoot?

Nazi Ammo: Shoot or Not?

• Total voters
That is the question...I have recently acquired a new to me Czech Mauser from the one and only KMM696. It's pretty sweet really and I'm dying to shoot it. I have my coworker whose father owns a gun shop shopping for 8mm Mauser at the Albany Gun Show tomorrow. If she comes up empty, I have 10 options to consider and I want your opinions, as like Schultz: "I know nothing"...[wink]

When I bought my Mosin M-44, the dealer sold me a hodgepodge of 7.62x54R - including Dench's faves...[grin] In the mix, he tossed in 10-rounds of Nazi-marked 8mm. It came in a thick cardboard sleeve and has two steel clips - each holding 5 rounds. The brass is still bright and shiny and has the eagle and swastika below the primer. I have no idea if this stuff is valuable and now that I've found them, (lost in the vortex until tonight), I'm considering shooting them. My questions are: Should I? Is there any value to these rounds? Should I keep them? Sell them?

Help me - my trigger finger is itchy.....[wink]

I don't collect ammo either, but I'd never shoot collectible ammo. Trade it to a collector or sell it and buy ammo to shoot.

Nazi ammo

I would hang onto it. I have shot a bandoleer of 1944 Romanian 8mm, 40 rounds without a misfire, probably the best functioning 8mm milsurp I have used. I have about six boxes of Nazi ammo, one of 9mm, and five of 8mm including rifle, MG, and yellow, green, and blue tracer. I've racked a few in my actions to "reunite" the pieces, but I won't shoot it. I've seen 1939 ammo for sale on several ammo websites for $40/box. I paid $10 a box eight years ago.

MajSpud

Screw those Nazis.
Put up a target with Hitler's picture on it , shoot the shit out of it and then throw the brass in the trash.

After what those bastards did to members of my family who were still in Europe during WW2, I wont allow anything with a swastika on it in my home.

Screw those Nazis.
Put up a target with Hitler's picture on it , shoot the shit out of it and then throw the brass in the trash.

After what those bastards did to members of my family who were still in Europe during WW2, I wont allow anything with a swastika on it in my home.

I hear you there...I wonder how many kajillions of rounds of this stuff are still stacked up somewhere? My ex-girlfriend from years ago had an uncle who lived in Holland. He saved his money and bought a warehouse to open up a storage and moving company. Stacked up in a walled off section of this building were hundreds of boxes of German Army gear - from uniforms and helmets - to weapons and munitions. He loaded this stuff up into his moving van, drove it out to his fathers farm and set it on fire....His family, (including his mother) had been all but wiped out by the Nazis....

I mean no disrespect to you mongoose but I suppose you want everybody to get rid of there mosins with that logic. I'm not defending Hitler at all but Stalin killed more people than Hitler did. German soldiers killed people not the rifles they carried, the helmets and uniforms they wore or the swastika which was a symbol of good fortune before Hitler bastardized it.

Last edited:
I have a shit load extra, shoot yours and I will give you a box or two still sealed from '39 with "chicken" marks. [wink]

First safety; I don't know if I would want to shoot MG or tracer ammo out of a K98. Then second, there is the legality; can you shoot tracer ammo at a gun club?

MajSpud

double check

On checking the ammo box what I actually have is:

1 box of 20 9mm rounds, WaA dnh, 1943

1 box of 15 8mm yellow tracer, marked P151, Rheinisch-Westfaelische Sprengstoffwerke, Nuernberg-Stadeln (eventually replaced by 'dnf'), 1940

1 box of 15 8mm green/red tracer, code P151, 1937

1 box of 15 8mm blue tracer, marked p150 (unknown) box WaA ckv, 1940, stamped "Lackerte Hulsen", (lacquer case).

1 box of 15, 8mm fur MG (for maching gun), WaA avu, Silva Metallwerke, Werk Genthin (fvf box), 1943

and....[smile]
1 box of 15 pistolenpatronen43 (for the Sturmgewehr automatic rifle[shocked]), marked "in ludenreifen" (on original stripper clips), WaA hla, Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbrietzen GmbH, Selterhoh plant (box ggk, Aktiengesellschaft fuer Cartonnagenindustrie, Dresden), 1945

MajSpud

Last edited:
Not a chance. Keep it and pass it down to your kids and so on. It's a part of history an should be treated as such. Some may have a ton of it, but you have only a few rnds. To each their own, but if it was me, I'd keep it. 8mm you can shoot is not hard to get.

Fire away...

I understand both sides of the debate. Me, personally, I grew up wondering what the other side of my family would have been like so I would drop the finest Nazi firearm I had in the lake without a second thought. I wouldn't think less of anyone who takes a different approach but, for me, the act of wantonly destroying, or in this case, unceromoniously shooting the ammo is just one more way to rob it of whatever remaining power exists.

That said, your still my buddy and I'll be amused to hear the outcome either way.

Back
Top Bottom