• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To sell or not to sell

A modern copy of R. Heinlein, whom I respect, said that the day government bans ARs is the day you need yours more than ever.

Right, it brings its own hubris. Perfect.
I lot of ppl here seem to treat an ak like it is a deity. :).
It is a fine and robust design, but not made for accuracy. And to shoot something with a 5moa spread gets boring quite quick.
And in a shtf scenario it is not clear to me where an ak ammo will come from here.

I lot of ppl here seem to treat an ak like it is a deity. :).
It is a fine and robust design, but not made for accuracy. And to shoot something with a 5moa spread gets boring quite quick.
And in a shtf scenario it is not clear to me where an ak ammo will come from here.

If your AK only does 5 moa you might want to throw it in the trash. [rofl]

Nothing is better for shooting boulders, propane tanks, toasters and air conditioners, either.

Also if you don't have ammo to run the gun, you're hosed anyways. The battlefield pickup faggotry is stupid.

Nothing is better for shooting boulders, propane tanks, toasters and air conditioners, either.

Also if you don't have ammo to run the gun, you're hosed anyways. The battlefield pickup faggotry is stupid.
That is how beaten up ones shoot. What is sold here now, it depends. AKs I dealt with were originals and may be 2 out of 10 were decent. But it was long ago.

As of an ak for me - it is a Ford Taurus for you. Drive one if you like it. :)

That is how beaten up ones shoot. What is sold here now, it depends. AKs I dealt with were originals and may be 2 out of 10 were decent. But it was long ago.

As of an ak for me - it is a Ford Taurus for you. Drive one if you like it. :)
Convenient you forgot to mention that in the first post.

My vote is not to sell any of the AR’s. I’d sell Fudd style long guns only because I feel that those can easily be replaced in any climate, or much easier than an AR at least.

I'd keep some essentials and maybe consider selling some stuff.

It'd be hard to really whittle it down to five if I was to move into a skoolie or survival situation.
Probably a 9mm carry gun. .22 carbine. pump shotgun w/ 3 bbls. AR carbine. and .308 Scout rifle. (plus more stripped lowers)

Pubic lice is fun. When I was a student, 2nd year at university, there was an outbreak. It took some time to get the vibe, but, it was an interesting thing to see how scratching progressed, see who was with whom. :)
Summer of 1987, first job out of college, working on Wall Street at a major money center bank in their trading operations. Wolf of Wall Street stuff, not kidding. On weekends I'd lifeguard at the beach I worked at during college, more for fun than anything. Drunken beach party, a buddy & I crashed on a mattress we found in utility shed. About a week later I'm in downtown Manhattan reconciling multimillion Dollar trading accounts and it began to itch... WTF!? Finally called my buddy and he was like "Dude, wtf, you too?? I got this stuff all over me!" (he was a hairy dude). Talk about an uncomfortable few days in July in NYC... Quell took care of it.

Hippies don’t wanna get pulled over for fear we’d have to deal with the cops.
Hippies don't want to get pulled over because they have weed on them.
I've never regretted buying a gun, but I've regretted selling them.
Great wisdom here.
Gun I most regret selling was a Sig 556

Yeah but 2 moa is pretty common, and boulders and air conditioners don't shoot back.
Ringing steel at 300 yards + with a decent AR is easy. Not as easy with most AKs.
I am going to choose accuracy every time.
I think Paul is right. Many on this forum think the AK is the be all end all. I don't.

I think Paul is right. Many on this forum think the AK is the be all end all. I don't.

Agreed. Both are great to have. If I was protecting the homestead I'm not sure which I'd grab first given that I'm surrounded by trees and wouldn't realistically be able to take a shot more than 50 yards. Indoors? AR15 all the way. If I had to make a run for it into the woods in the rain? Probably AK.

Minus the bickering, it seems nearly unanimous that you should not sell your guns.

You're left with somewhat varyingly illegal options for storing them in the RV, keeping them with friends or perhaps buying an acre of very remote property and burying them.

Or do what that one guy suggested and sell them, hoping things someday get better and you can buy more...

I have a camper that we spend most of the summer in, so i can identify with the lack of "seen" storage. but the more i check out the camper without my wife around, i have found some pretty cool places. That being said, I have done the "sell" them to move / finance something. And found that replacing them never worked out like i thought it would. I regret almost every gun I have ever "had" to sell. Paul

Back
Top Bottom