• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To port or not to port...

Has anyone had ports cut into their revolver barrel? I have a S&W 686+ w/2.5 inch barrel and was wondering if getting it ported would be a useful modification, for looks and also to decrease recoil. I know it would disqualify me from competition shooting (i.e. by IPSC standards etc... but just having a 7-round revolver does that anyway) but that's not a dealbreaker for me. Thoughts? [thinking]

Last edited:
my 6" 686 is ported, its a sweet shooter, i havent shot one that was not ported, I was looking at a model 60 that was ported, and it seemed nice as well..

I know it would disqualify me from competition shooting (i.e. by IPSC standards etc... but just having a 7-round revolver does that anyway) but that's not a dealbreaker for me. Thoughts? [thinking]

I don't think it disqualifies you. I believe it just forces you to shoot open class. However shooting just a ported revolver without optics you'd get smoked anyway. Also you can use a 7 shot but you can only take 6 shots before reloading without being penalised.
Haven't competed in a while so if I'm wrong I'll soon be corrected,.

This is my wifes 686, it was ported by Dave Santurri. She loves it, although it definately adds to the cleaning time.
downsized950423010726.jpg

In one of the last Front Sight magazines a question came up about using a S&W 627 (8shot) revolver in the revolver division.
The following answer was given: As far as the USPSA goes, the 627 can be used in the revolver division, but its risky. USPSA's rules require you to reload after every six shots. The 627 also sees some use in production division, where shooters take advantage of its full 8-shot potential - Editors

So I would consider the 686 to fall under the same ruling if it was to be used in revolver or production division.

You might want to talk to TY43215. I believe he has had a fair bit of experience with ported revolvers. Also, I think there are different techniques for porting a revolver and you might get different results with different techniques.

Check out MagnaPort in Michigan. They specialize in stuff like that. Anytime I need work done of any sort, that is who I use. My friend who lives there recommended them to me, and I have used no one since.

They (MagnaPort) do really any service you can think of, not just porting. But obviously porting is what they specialize in. It's a great, small, family owned company, and every time I have used them they have been awesome.

Back
Top Bottom