• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK not feeding

tuna

NES Member
I’ve got a WASR10/63 AKM that doesn’t want to feed. Multiple mags and mag types same issue. Steel case, brass case, FMJ and soft point.
Bolt rides right over the round.

There’s some wobble in the mags all around. And another forum suggested pulling back on the mag as you fire to raise the back of the mag.
Bingo. Feeds now.
So I found the issue. What’s the fix?

Replace the mag catch? Bend it with pliers? Where do I need to hit with hammer?

Thanks

Got any pictures?
of what einstein? the gun not feeding?
Mag catch, tabs replacing dimples, bullet guide, etc.

Einstein indeed.

I thought Green Cobra’s comment was funny. Thanks for clarifying it Grendizer.
Pics below. Excuse the crappy quality, I’m still dealing with a pinched nerve and can’t stand or sit long so am doing everything lying down. Makes it awkward. At least I’m healing and playing with guns.

IMG_7371.jpeg
Chamber with top end off.
IMG_7370.jpeg
Better view of chamber

IMG_7369.jpeg
Looking at bottom toward front. IMG_7368.jpeg
Mag catch
IMG_7367.jpeg
Mag catch 2
IMG_7366.jpeg
Mag in rifle
IMG_7365.jpeg
Mag in rifle -can see catch against it.
IMG_7363.jpeg
Bolt about to ride over rounds
IMG_7362.jpeg
Same as above but ones better.

Thanks

Possible dumb question, but does it react any differently depending on which side of the mag is about to be chambered? That’s an odd wear pattern on the release.

Not dumb at all. No it doesn’t.

But, trying it from bed with rifle pointed at ceiling it fed fine. Mag must have moved back and up a hair. When I tried it level, both sides jammed.

So I guess it’s ok for antiaircraft and skeet until figured out. Lol

Subscribed.

I wish I could help, but the grim reality is that while firing about eight different AKs, hundreds of rounds apiece, with the same crapulent commie steel mags? I've never once had a misfire/malfunction out of an AK.

Last edited:
Subscribed.

I wish I could help, but the grim reality is that while firing about eight different AKs, hundreds of rounds apiece, with the same crapulent commie steel mags? I've never once had a misfire out of an AK.
I have one of the first Norinco underfolders and a Wasr-10. The Chinese mags are a little difficult to load into the Romanian rifle but, like you, never a misfire.

how come i never see those commie bastards do that?

of what einstein? the gun not feeding?
Pulling the mag back is a bandaid and not something that should have to be done.

And yes, the support bars welded inside (wasrs don't have dimpled magwells), bullet guide etc all could have a defect resulting in the malfunctioning gun.

All junk, but definitely should not produce the same results.

Agreed 100%. But WASR magwells can be a bit crude and varying size more than a normal AK since they are originally single stack mags milled out after import by century. I think its at least worth trying some steel combloc made mags to see if they work. Polymer mags have a tendency to swell and be very tight in magwells of aks.

Croatian mags are debatably the worst steel AK mags. I shot a friend's Croatian mag and it sent a round BACKWARDS into the trigger area of the receiver. I'd personally stick with combloc steel and bakeleite mags and Bulgarian current production stuff exclusively.

Last edited:
Perhaps an AK gunsmith could help? I was going to say Sergey at RustBlue but noticed you’re in NH. Nonetheless, it could be an easy fix and save you the headache of trial and error despite successfully identifying the issue. I have a MAK90 and have never had any issues but I did buy the wrong stock once and piss away money after having to resell it in the classified section. Doh!

I thought Green Cobra’s comment was funny. Thanks for clarifying it Grendizer.
Pics below. Excuse the crappy quality, I’m still dealing with a pinched nerve and can’t stand or sit long so am doing everything lying down. Makes it awkward. At least I’m healing and playing with guns.

View attachment 802487
Chamber with top end off.
View attachment 802488
Better view of chamber

View attachment 802489
Looking at bottom toward front. View attachment 802490
Mag catch
View attachment 802491
Mag catch 2
View attachment 802492
Mag in rifle
View attachment 802493
Mag in rifle -can see catch against it.
View attachment 802494
Bolt about to ride over rounds
View attachment 802495
Same as above but ones better.

Thanks
Are those projectiles FUBAR?

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but a lot of guys used to ARs and other guns do not insert the mag right into the AK. There is a lug on the front of a mag that needs to be "hooked in" to the corresponding notch in the mag well then levered into the gun from that.

Attachments

• 1696456482325.jpeg
    1696456482325.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Yeah, the rounds are screwed. Thanks for pointing it out if I didn’t notice myself.

The gun is new to me. And has always had this issue. Couple months. The plastic works better, and I thought it was the Croats that were the issue. Just got the PMAG and it’s the same.

I’m pretty sure I know how to load an AK, but I may be wrong. Does it look like the mag isn’t in right? That would be embarrassing, but I’m a Fudd at heart after all.

Thanks Uzi2, I’ll give it a try.

Really thought I was supposed to hit something with a hammer…..

I have an Opap. My Romy mags are a snug fit , no wobble. She's a flawless cycler. Even feeding from a drum shes a perfect shooter. Id be happy to meet up with you at my gun club and we can try swapping mags and bolt assemblies to see if we can isolate weather you have a trunnion / receiver issue or mag related.

Back
Top Bottom