To Plug or Not to Plug . . .

Inquiring minds want to know . . .​
Dog-gone-it, does the extra cartridges "plug" in a shotgun have to be installed at all times or just while hunting? I should know this but just can't remember, its been quite a while since using it. A friend said he thought it only needed to be installed when hunting but he wasn’t really sure.

It only needs to be installed while hunting migratory birds.

I keep mine in all the time. I don't use it for home defense, and I've never need 3 shots hunting, let alone 5.

Last edited:
It only needs to be installed while hunting waterfowl.

Careful with that statement.

First off, the Federal law that limits magazine capacity for shotguns applies to MIGRATORY game birds, not just waterfowl. Snipes, rails, woodcock, and doves are all federally-regulated migratory game birds and getting caught shooting them with an unplugged repeating shotgun will cost you just as much as if they were mallards.

Secondly, some states require that repeating shotguns be plugged to two rounds in the magazine for ALL hunting, not just migratory birds. Ohio does. Kansas, where I started hunting does not. Check Mass rules to be sure.

Same goes for rifles. Some states limit capacity of hunting rifles, some do not.

correct. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I'll edit that.

Careful with that statement.

First off, the Federal law that limits magazine capacity for shotguns applies to MIGRATORY game birds, not just waterfowl. Snipes, rails, woodcock, and doves are all federally-regulated migratory game birds and getting caught shooting them with an unplugged repeating shotgun will cost you just as much as if they were mallards.

Secondly, some states require that repeating shotguns be plugged to two rounds in the magazine for ALL hunting, not just migratory birds. Ohio does. Kansas, where I started hunting does not. Check Mass rules to be sure.

Same goes for rifles. Some states limit capacity of hunting rifles, some do not.

It only needs to be installed while hunting migratory birds.

I keep mine in all the time. I don't use it for home defense, and I've never need 3 shots hunting, let alone 5.

+1 I just keep mine in. If you need 5 shots to down a grouse or pheasant you should go back to the range. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom