• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To build an AR or purchase an AR......That is the question?

Cheesy title, but it gets the point across...I hope!

I am just now really taking an interest in building or purchasing an AR. The rifles principle purpose would most likely be strictly for target shooting, so 5.56/.223 is definitely the caliber I am looking for. With no experience in this field, I have found myself doing a lot of browsing across the internet. In my search for information across the world wide web, i find myself overwhelmed as to the amount of information and resources that are out there.

My question to those of you that have been around, and have had numerous hours of experience with AR's is, "Is it better for a beginner to build his own, or to purchase one from a dealer fully assembled?" I have the skills and ability to do anything I set my mind to, so mentally and mechanically I should have to tools and knowledge to complete this task.

Secondly; Where should i begin? Is there one web site that is better than another for information on building my own? Are there any instructional videos that are better than others? Are there pre-made parts lists for a complete AR build with part numbers and prices?

Lastly; Should I pole the audience on what parts i should purchase, where to purchase, and what to avoid? If so, please feel free to give me a list of parts that you would recommend.

I'm not looking to go bankrupt with the build/purchase, just get myself set up with something decent and fun to shoot.

I thank you guys in advance for your help with this. I know there has to be a lot of additional information that each and everyone out there can share, so any input is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to seeing what everyone's feelings are on this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

Build. The videos on Brownells are really good if you've never done one before, or if you want to get hands on instruction and don't mind paying a few bucks go to the Sig AR-15 armorer's class.

Building an AR is easy. You'll save some money and you'll end up with the exact rifle that you want. The only downside is that if you're like me you'll find yourself building a new one every few months and you'll need a bigger safe. [grin]

Buy it, For your first AR get something that has a warranty. That way when something goes wrong, you have a company to fix it

The cost of build vs buy is very close when talking about equal quality. Add it the cost of tools and its more to build.

When you spend some time behind the rifle and decide what you want, then start replacing parts to customize it

Buy it, For your first AR get something that has a warranty. That way when something goes wrong, you have a company to fix it

The cost of build vs buy is very close when talking about equal quality. Add it the cost of tools and its more to build.

When you spend some time behind the rifle and decide what you want, then start replacing parts to customize it

Second vote for buying. Another option is to build the lower and get a factory upper.

Thanks guys, but if I purchase, who is dependable?

This has been hashed and rehashed lately, do a quick search and you will get recommendations. I would do lots of reading and research before pulling the trigger, get it? Ha!

If someone comes on here and says bushmaster research the snot out of bushmaster or any company that is recommended.

there is a good thread over at m4carbine.net that ranks the AR manufacturers. It explains the difference in parts and manufacturing and why it is beneficially. Read up on the what and why and then decide on the who. Some rifles are better than others, just as some cars are better than others, find the one that fits your needs and budget

The chart is for m4 style ARs, so keep that in mind when researching

chart

Thread

S&W
Colt
Bravo Co.
LaRue
White Oak
Noveske
Daniel Defense
Spikes Tactical
LMT
Armalite

...all solid rifles

there is a good thread over at m4carbine.net that ranks the AR manufacturers. It explains the difference in parts and manufacturing and why it is beneficially. Read up on the what and why and then decide on the who. Some rifles are better than others, just as some cars are better than others, find the one that fits your needs and budget

The chart is for m4 style ARs, so keep that in mind when researching

chart

Thread

+1 this is how I decided on my M4

.+1 For the advice by Supermoto.

Buy unless there is a specific configuration that you want and is not available.

You can build one if you want but if that is the route you decide then I would go the upper / lower route. There are no tools to borrow or buy to do this.

If you build make sure to take all the components into account. Some uppers come complete others do not. This is where I ran into some problems. The little things (Sights, rails, and mags) can add up quickly and I completely overlooked during my build. This prolonged the build longer than I would have liked.

I hear good things about the M&P line. Also check CMMG as they often have specials in the bargin bin. As suggested check "the chart" and decide what the intended uses are and what you are willing to sacrifice.

This.

Contact Remsport in Ludlow, MA.
Even if you don't purchase from us you should at least stop by and get an idea about the AR15 you might want.
Questions and answers and you will get to touch the parts that go into an AR build. By the way Remsport guns come with a life time warranty.
Call
John
413 579 1994

Buy your first, this way you can get to know your likes and wants. Once you know what you want, build it.

I have to agree with this recommendation. You may very well be handy with tools, but until you understand the piece of machinery, you are better off buying from a reputable manufacturer and, for lack of a btter term, reverse engineering from there.

At the risk of starting another flame war, I will add Remsport in Ludlow MA. John is a member of this forum and has done some good work. There are a some here who disagree but it seems that the majority of people like his work. And you would be supporting a local business/gun manufacturer.

OOPS! I see John beat me to it while I was composing this.

its harder to decide WHAT to buy or build that if you should buy or build
1. try as many platforms as you can
2. Be realistic in end use
3. set a budget
4. have fun and just see how many times your wants and needs change with the AR platform.....

You are not going to save much money building, at the most 100 or so, especially if you ship from multiple locations. Spikes and Bravo would be my top 2 recommendations.

Mike

you can save a good amount of money if done right, find good deals and limit your shipping cost...check out group buys or discounts..
I paid 950.00 for my 1st rifle STAG H2. I then assembled a STAG H2 myself
Puchased a H2 upper KIT on a group buy which came with everything but the lower 595.00 shipped
S&W lower on a pre order deal 95.00.

There are a lot of things to keep in mind:
My H2 came with the flip up rear sight. Thing is I did not know it only has windage adjustments. Great for back up or close up "HIT" target shooting.

mags can add up quick but AR15.com had a seller of preban mags for us preban states and did not charge a lot. I purchased from him and it averaged out to 17.50 per mag shipped. assorted condition plus a few niw.

It can be fun and expensive. I was all over the place on 4 builds, I was lucky to sell them off for money put in. In the end if I where to do it again I would go for
a standard A2 style with a 20 in barrel w carry handle. kinda covers a lot. good plinker, compete in service rifle matches, most likely more accurate than the average shooter.

who to buy from is another question almost impossible to answer.
The gent I know who is into ARs the most has a olympic arms AR which have been known to have issues. His looks like its been through hell. finish worn all beat up BUT he has put more through this gun than all others combined he also has a Model 1 which he has had great luck with.
As for special tools if you plan on putting a upper together a upper vise block is a must
AR multiwrench
after that you could put a ar together with a hammer,punch and pliers.
If you plan on doing several but the tools that make it easier.

The hardest part I found was getting the front sight pins out, and the front take down pin detent and spring installed.

Yes buy some xtra small parts.

Then he has his others colt,RRA,CMMG and a host of other uppers.

Olympic is crap stay away. You can buy/build a great Spikes or BCM rifle for under a grand. If you want to spend more money there are a handful of other great companies out there. I have had fewer (none) issues with my built Spikes rifle over my issue Colt M4. My rifle shoots much smoother too(due to the mid length gas system). This is not to say Colts aren't great guns, but so are Spikes. You can also build one using parts all from one company. IE, order everything from them at once to have it configured exactly how you want it, then put it together.

Mike

In terms of value for your dollar, I really do not think BCM uppers can be beaten. There's also a site out there that was offering complete Daniel Defense uppers(minus BCG) + Daniel Defense rail of your choice for $525, which was a smoking deal.

Well, I decided to go with a Smith and Wesson M&P AR. I purchased the M&P15ORC from Four Seasons, and couldn't be happier. Right out of the box it shoots great and feels really well balanced. I figured as an entry level AR this was a good decision for me. Now the fun begins. I've been talking to a few people about accessories for the M&P, and really starting to configure it the way I want it. First up is a set of Troy Quad rails for the front, a set of BUIS (as this model has none), and probably a vertical grip. From there the sky is the limit. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciated everyone's input on this.

Back
Top Bottom