TL/DR response on my Facebook page by a supposed "gun right's supporter".

I guess the "gun lobby" is in decline and gun ownership is not a good investment for the average American and that it is the govt's responsibility to legislate safety.

The stats here are interesting—I did not know that the spike began in 2011. I did know that 2012 was expected to be an up year for reported purchases, but put it into perspective that the past few years have seen a huge concerted effort to push gun sales based on the public perception that guns will not be able to be purchased if gun control legislation goes through. I'm actually a little relieved by the Gallup poll because it shows me that the huge costly effort still could not significantly alter long-term social-economic trends. What is not shown, and usually isn't looked at, is the overall long-term matrix of gun ownership in this country and others. (This was where I was trying to go with our conversation before we got cut off.) In historical perspective, gun ownership has been and will plummet. Why? Because a gun is turning from a tool of necessity to an object of leisure. When the Constitution was written, guns were a means to survival—they meant food, protection, and even the means to communication in extreme situations. The population was sparsely scattered and surrounded by vast wilderness. Methods of production were pre-industrial. Reliance on guns was a no brainer. It is hard to come by historical statistics , but it would be a very safe assumption that upwards of 70% of the able-bodied population owned a gun. And household ownership was likely in the 90-95% range. Having a gun in a country of vast frontiers was a very real sign of economic viability because it demonstrated that you could sustain yourself if absolutely necessary. However, gun ownership began to decline as we became an industrial society and population growth translated into ever-growing urban/suburban zone. Two centuries later, the gun no longer holds economic value for most of the population. We don't measure this (because the gun lobby would never agree to releasing a factual exposure of this trend), but the number of people who RELY on guns for their survival (in non-military situations) would be extremely low. Even for leisure, the practical use of guns has become difficult—large expanses practical to the firing on guns are not easy to find, hunting requires ever-greater care as animal-human populations mingle, and commercial ranges are booming but an added expense to an already expensive hobby. The bottom line… its economics! Guns are expensive to buy, maintain and store properly, and their return on investment is minimal. Add to that a myriad of liabilities, and gun ownership is a not a good investment for a modern American household. The same historical trend happened in most industrialized European nations—we are just behind the curve because we have been a frontier nation until relatively recently. The biggest issue in the US is that there are major commercial interests involved which are trying to maintain sales, which means they have to convince a populace that spending their hard-earned dough on an object which will likely sit in a corner for the majority of its existence do little more than collecting dust. Not an easy task. So I believe that yes, spikes and temporary statistical anomalies will occur, but the progression of time will bring gun ownership to lower levels, provided that gun producers do not create artificial need for them.

make sure you understand… I WANT TO MAINTAIN THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. However, I believe that in order to do so, the onus is on those of us who want that right to step up and demonstrate that we are as responsible and sensitive as the anti-gun lobby. At the moment, the gun lobby is failing in this area, coming off as callous and reactionary. They go on and on about Constitutional rights, but when discussion turns to responsibility, such as answering questions of how a modern society can balance gun rights while making sure that there are mechanisms to curb irresponsible and/or criminal use, the gun lobby balks and offers half-witted responses at best.

Take for example the argument that they make that any gun laws hurt the people who have legal guns, not the ones who possess them illegally. On the surface, this is a persuasive argument, but it falls short. Why? Because at some point every "illegal" gun starts its cycle off as a legal weapon. The important question becomes how those weapons end up in the illegal market. We hear the philosophical argument that "a gun does not shoot itself and can not bear legal responsibility" (which I believe is true), but when we look to the purchaser/user/bearer of that weapon to make sure that they are competent and responsible in their use, the gun lobby contradicts itself and absolves the gun owner of the responsibilities of competent use and decision-making. For example: a variation of the arguments presented against gun laws is that they punish the citizens who are trying to protect themselves*. So why would it be that so many gun owners are okay to circumvent legitimate methods of gun resale, without knowing who they are arming, but feel the compulsion to "rub out" the serial numbers on the gun which can track the ownership back to them? Why? DOESN'T THIS PUT WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF THOSE YOU WANT TO PROTECT AGAINST? And, if you were (1) responsible with your weapon, (2) concerned about protecting responsible owners and citizens, and (3) confident in selling to another person who you could see is competent and responsible (which would be far more obvious with a license and/or background check) wouldn't that negate the trouble of having to erase the serial? Yet, it is common practice—the path to illegal market for thousands of guns per year—and the gun lobby doesn't want to do anything to curb this market. Think about that for a second. Their own arguments about curbing the illegal market HELP bolster the illegal market.

That is why I ague for licensing. Uphold the right to bear arms, but honor it by making sure that we do everything we can to make sure people exercise that right responsibly and competently. REMEMBER: EVERY RIGHT BEARS A GRAVE RESPONSIBILITY TO EARN AND RE-EARN THAT RIGHT! Are you willing to earn it?

(* The argument of gun ownership for protection against crime is not true in practical application, as a weapon is statistically far more likely to hurt its owner, friends or family than any other entity, by a ration of 7:1. Read Freakonomics on the statistics for guns as a deterrent to crime—no correlation. I have seen some articles and statistics which argue that gun ownership may statistically raise the likelihood of criminal involvement, as victims or perpetrators, but I believe there needs to be more study in those areas.)

The bold part is my favorite [rolleyes] moment in his post.

Thank you for highlighting that part - because it was way too long to read. You should defriend them based on either their stupidity or the fact that they presume their dribble is worth that much of anyone's time.

I began typing back but then was like, why even waste my breath? because all I will get back is another essay of over exposition with no plot (so to speak).

What I also find amazing is that he is pretty much saying because we are a minority, we need to just suck it up and deal with the hand we are dealt. Imagine if that was the response to other minority groups in this country. He would probably be screaming and ranting about the injustice.

Last edited:
I wish people would argue with me like that... Alas, no one I know dare step into the verbal sparring ring with me when guns are on the line... mostly because I know about a thousand times more than them about the subject matter.

Unfortunately, he is a former co worker and still comes in here and there to pick up stuff and starts in with these convos with me while I am on the clock. I want to reply to his post but honestly, I will just get back more verbal vomit with no substance.

No one needs to earn or re-earn a Natural Right. We have these inalienable rights until we do something Affirmative to prove we are no longer entitled to them, such as committing murder.

His statistics and mindset are too flawed to waste any energy on.

At the moment, the gun lobby is failing in this area, coming off as callous and reactionary.

I feel like this applies more to the gun control advocates more than anything. They were the first ones out of the gate after recent events advocating for bans on certain guns and magazines instead of recognizing that it was the act of a criminal and not the guns fault. Also when anyone refers to people like myself as the "gun lobby" that really grinds my gears. It's sad that we have to constantly work to protect our rights when so many are willing to give them up. I think the marathon bombing proved that it doesn't matter what kind of legislation you put in place, evil will always find a way.

My quick response:

There was way too much over exposition with no plotline in either of your comments. The only thing I got out of your first comment was that if I subtracted "gun owner" and add any other disenfranchised group within the body of your text, I realized your comment was just a veiled prejudiced attack on a minority group. By your standards, because gun ownership is down, I, as part of a minority group, need to just deal with the hand I am dealt and walk in line with what majority wants? If the majority of the population is so emasculated that it needs to depend on others to defend their lives, that is on them. I have the inalienable right to defend my life; which is the simplest life rule to understand and does not depends on majority rule.

My response to your second comment: Out of all that wordage, there was no point. I think I read through the entire thing five times and cannot come up with what you were trying to prove. 1) You mentioned law abiding gun owners look down on new gun control. Well yes, because you are effectively scape-goating us for the behavior of a few, making us criminals before any crime is committed. 2) Go ask Canada how effective a country wide gun registry is. That's why they junked the whole thing; since it was so effective to find stolen firearms and solve crimes, right? No, it was actually the polar opposite. It did not help at all and cost Canadian citizens tons of money. 3) A firearm, like anything else I purchase with my own money, is my property and it should not be up to any governing body to tell me who to sell to. By your standards, what would you like to happen to an individual who sells their motor vehicle to someone who then uses it to drive under the influence and kills a family of 5? By your admission, you would want background checks and a registry kept in order to prevent individuals to sell their car to an alcoholic? Because you don’t need to be licensed to buy a car, right? And not having a license or registration or insurance does not stop someone from breaking the law and driving anyways. Kind of like you can’t pass laws to stop a criminal from breaking into your house and stealing things; one of which could be a weapon. 3) If licensing and safety courses are so effective, then why are vehicle accidents number one in accidental deaths? You cannot legislate stupid. You cannot legislate irresponsibility. People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions and stop relying on the government to do it for you. If you commit murder, you are charged and trialed accordingly, for, you know, committing a crime - not because you MIGHT commit a crime. 4) Your statement "you are statically far more likely to hurt yourself and others by having a firearm than by not having a firearm" makes just as much sense as "you are statically far more likely to hurt yourself and others by driving in a car than standing in place".

"Are you willing to earn it?"

As far as I know, speech has been responsible for inciting many more deaths in history than anything else. Have you earned or re-earned your right to speak, considering what a deadly weapon it can be when wielded improperly?

"At the moment, the gun lobby is failing in this area, coming off as callous and reactionary."

Ahhh.....hello?.....reactionary? How about the Libtards response from Sandy Hook. Whoever posted that in your page is a complete moron and IS NOT FOR 2nd Amendment Rights like he stated. He happens to be just as bad as the ones who are pushing to take away our rights by being a typical fence sitter.

I guess the "gun lobby" is in decline and gun ownership is not a good investment for the average American and that it is the govt's responsibility to legislate safety.

The bold part is my favorite [rolleyes] moment in his post.

the only reason that a gun is "statistically" more likely to hurt it's owner or family/friends is because they include suicide. obviously adding this stat makes the results favor them as in all suicide attempts or completions with a firearms harm the user.

Back
Top Bottom