Tire Noise

if skinflint stock goodyear or firestone/bridgestone tires, just get used to it.

They're shit, they'll scallop and howl/thump down the road no matter what you do....because they SUCK

--signed, unrepentant Michelin fanboy

This^ (except the Michelin fanboy part)

I would NEVER buy Goodyears or Firestones again, learned my lesson in the 80's.

I had a 76' GMC Jimmy (aka "Shimmy") and put on some 33" Goodyear Wranglers.
Complete junk, all four of them failed within a year through either growing giant blisters on the sidewalls or by catastrophic blowouts. And as for Firestones, I had a 76" Mustang II that came with Firestone 500's, remember those ???

U.S. Seeks Firestone 500 Recalls

Probably scalloped tires. But it could be that you need new wheel bearings. What's the mileage? When the bearings do wear down, the car sounds like it has scalloped tires. Put it up on a lift and try and pull out on wiggle each tire. If the tires have any play, you might need new bearings.

And as for Firestones, I had a 76" Mustang II that came with Firestone 500's, remember those ???

U.S. Seeks Firestone 500 Recalls

Well yes I do. Same car ( my first new car, Waltham Ford) I blew one out on the highway going as fast as the little pony would go. Had it been a front I would not be here today telling everyone what a great guy I am. As it was it destroyed the rear fender. All 4 of them suffered belt failure/ ply separation . Criminally bad tires, and frankly not such a great car either, although I was quite proud of it at the time.

By the time the tires are noisy rotating isn't going to fix anything. If you rotate like a SOB early on perhaps you may avoid the problem, but aggressive tread is almost going to get noisy as it wears to some degree regardless. IMHO the only way to correct directional wear on a tire is to dismount and put it back on the rim facing the other way, but that is not supposed to be good for the belts.

The typical "tire noise" however is not a "clicking like a stone is stuck in the tread" but rather a hum or a buzz, although well worn, flat spotted, or out of round tires will make a slapping sound. It's tough even for an experienced ear to differentiate, but the noise changing when swerving the car side to side may indicate a bearing problem as you load and unload the bearings. The noise changing on different road surface may indicate a tire.

If you haven't, look the tires over real good. You are looking for a saw tooth wear pattern, or any high spots or low spots, which often will show up as more or less tread wear than the surrounding tread.

If still in warranty you might get the dealer to swap them out for the less aggressive pattern tires. My friend who is a jeep mechanic says they do it quite frequently for this complaint.

The tires on the Rubicon are going to be loud but I'd concur with the above. Check tire pressure, rotate.

Have you rotated them yet in those 15k miles? If not you should rotate more often, check the service schedule in your manual. The interval is probably 5k. At most 10k.

Are your fronts wearing un-evenly? More on one side than the other? If so get an alignment.

My car has a staggered wheel set up and I can't rotate my tires- chews through front tires fairly fast because of it.

You drive a Jeep. Most of the cabin parts come off, or maybe even have zippers. They are a 4x4 system, and use 4x4 tires. Be thankful it is just a little tire noise. Have you rotated your tires regularly? Maybe there is a pebble or screw stuck in your tire somewhere that you missed. Good luck.

You drive a Jeep. Most of the cabin parts come off, or maybe even have zippers. They are a 4x4 system, and use 4x4 tires. Be thankful it is just a little tire noise. Have you rotated your tires regularly? Maybe there is a pebble or screw stuck in your tire somewhere that you missed. Good luck.
I was poking around trying to find what the factory tires are on a Rubicon package . I would think they would be geared a bit more for off road. Softer rubber more open tred ? Also I would think it has a "softer" suspension also. So more bounce? Geared lower to I assume. Fun stuff
Funny I see the off road packages on jeeps/trucks and know they most likely will never see "off road"
Same as truck guys who put P rated tires on thier 1 ton trucks and try to tow and haul at capacity and blow tires.
30 years in the trade and there's still 3 things people just don't like to service.
Tire rotation , coolant caps and thermostats , shocks
They just run them until there is a problem

A lotta great advice, but does it ever go off road? 99% of jeeps end up at Eric Church concerts and Wally World as opposed to serious bush. Has it been beaten?

Since 2007 I have had Jeep JKU's 5 or 6 sets of the BFG's. I have found the key is maintain proper tire pressure, and rotate at every oil change.. The rotation pattern I find works the best is to move the 2 rear tires straight forward and cross the front tires to the rear. I do not put the spare into the rotation. The front tires tend to build up high spots on the lugs and get noisy, by crossing them to the opposite side of the rear they now go in the opposite direction and those high spots wear back down and the noise diminishes... I will say if you do not rotate them yourself the dealer will probably just go front to back, back to front with the rotation, if they actually rotate them at all..

I don't see any obvious scalloping or anything. Wondering if it's just time for a rotation and maybe alignment.

I find that if you run a flat hand over the tread of the front tires you will feel what I call feathers developing on the lugs of the tread usually on the outer edge of the tire..

I was poking around trying to find what the factory tires are on a Rubicon package . I would think they would be geared a bit more for off road. Softer rubber more open tred ? Also I would think it has a "softer" suspension also. So more bounce? Geared lower to I assume. Fun stuff
Funny I see the off road packages on jeeps/trucks and know they most likely will never see "off road"
Same as truck guys who put P rated tires on thier 1 ton trucks and try to tow and haul at capacity and blow tires.
30 years in the trade and there's still 3 things people just don't like to service.
Tire rotation , coolant caps and thermostats , shocks
They just run them until there is a problem
I have a 2015 Tacoma trd off road....while it does not see alot of off road travel it does enough off road during hunting seasons on power lines and cart roads to make it worth it. The "getting to the spot" is much fun in a TRD off road Tacoma. I actually got rid of the stock bfg rugged trails and put on the k02 all terrains and they have been great .

But....yeah....lots of Rubicon jeaps and trd trd road Tacoma's don't see much dirt.

Mine.....just enough to make it worth it .

Sarcastic comment - Do you have chewing gum or a superball stuck in your treads?

Real comment - Is the noise constant or just on certain roads? My town redid a long stretch of road, and it sounds like my wheels are coming off. I thought it was my car (because it was likely that the wheels were falling off on it most days), but the same sound happens in my wife's car and my new car. But this noise isn't a rubbery tick, its more like a buzzy moan, like ooOOooOOooOOoo sound, not to be confused by tracks in the snow.

I have a 2015 Tacoma trd off road....while it does not see alot of off road travel it does enough off road during hunting seasons on power lines and cart roads to make it worth it. The "getting to the spot" is much fun in a TRD off road Tacoma. I actually got rid of the stock bfg rugged trails and put on the k02 all terrains and they have been great .

But....yeah....lots of Rubicon jeaps and trd trd road Tacoma's don't see much dirt.

Mine.....just enough to make it worth it .
That’s kinda my point most people don’t know what they are getting with a off road package. Short list is lower over all gear ratio, softer more open tire tread pattern, slightly stronger suspension and a “softer” suspension along with some sort of 4x4 mod like lockers front and rear and such. Then wonder why tired wear quickly , MPG sucks and the drive train feels clunky

That’s kinda my point most people don’t know what they are getting with a off road package. Short list is lower over all gear ratio, softer more open tire tread pattern, slightly stronger suspension and a “softer” suspension along with some sort of 4x4 mod like lockers front and rear and such. Then wonder why tired wear quickly , MPG sucks and the drive train feels clunky
All true. For me I work 1.5 miles from my house.....so fuel mileage is not a concern....thank God cuz the Tacoma.....love everything about it except for the mpg. Lucky to get 15 mpg out of the v6! There are full size v8 trucks getting double that. The Tacoma off road package eats alot of fuel due to all the things you mention. For me though it's perfect.....a little overkill 90% of the time but lots of fun when I do start fording ditches and climbing Sandy hills when I get the chance getting to the hunting spots .

It's a Jeep thing. ;-)

it's a fun vehicle. No regrets.

it's a fun vehicle. No regrets.
Same here with the Tacoma off road. I use it in true off road circumstances enough to make it worthwhile and I'd buy another one as long as my commute to work stays short .

ended up bringing it in for tire rotation and had the alignment checked. It was out of alignment. Rides like a dream now.
Did they give you a print out? Tell you what was off. There's not a lot of adjustment on factory jeeps. Toe and centering the wheel is about it. If your camber is off its usually because something is bent. Pretty much why the Rubicon comes with a beefier axle housing. Its all fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom