• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ashfield Select Board hosting forum on gun noise

Brookline Ma and Newton Ma already have decibel levels maximums on such equipment.

Cambridge might too and probably others.

There are threads on it.

Brookline straight up banned gas leaf blower use for good portions of the year. Only two at a time on lots of 7,500 sq. Ft. or less, landscape companies have to be permitted by the town, blah blah. Brookline and Newton lead the way when it comes to placating Karens and virtue signaling.

14489FDB-FAB8-4057-A916-217FAF8AE052.jpeg

It’s a shame in the last 10 years they have gone as far as buying all the old boards off the Tabacco barns… F’in rich people. Now it looks like a bunch of wooden skeletons standing out in the fields.
Wait, there's a second side to this, the sellers. Talk to your fellow farmers. Also, why are the tobacco barns no longer with siding? Are there newer barns? Plus, what do they do with old siding?

Wait, there's a second side to this, the sellers. Talk to your fellow farmers. Also, why are the tobacco barns no longer with siding? Are there newer barns? Plus, what do they do with old siding?
More importantly, if the tobacco barn is no longer in use (producing revenue for the owner) I think that it's a very Yankee move to "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without," and part out the barn.

Yes Skelebarn looks less folksy than one with siding, but the $ from the sale of the boards was probably needed by the owner.

As for what they do with the boards, I'd say "artsy" stuff. Years ago I saw a nice cabinet made from salvaged barn board. Or, it would have been nice, except when the owner fired up the woodstove, there was a huge amount of shrinkage across-grain, as the wood was "used to" 100 years of living outdoors. [laugh]

More importantly, if the tobacco barn is no longer in use (producing revenue for the owner) I think that it's a very Yankee move to "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without," and part out the barn.

Yes Skelebarn looks less folksy than one with siding, but the $ from the sale of the boards was probably needed by the owner.

As for what they do with the boards, I'd say "artsy" stuff. Years ago I saw a nice cabinet made from salvaged barn board. Or, it would have been nice, except when the owner fired up the woodstove, there was a huge amount of shrinkage across-grain, as the wood was "used to" 100 years of living outdoors. [laugh]
It’s not the farmers selling boards off the barns, it is their lazy ass kids who inherited the land.

He is not the Karen it is Lauren Mills she is the one who initiated the complaint and will be presenting at the meeting with some sort of presentation.

He is not the Karen it is Lauren Mills she is the one who initiated the complaint and will be presenting at the meeting with some sort of presentation.
Is there a counter-presentation? Does the other side have a plan?

It’s not the farmers selling boards off the barns, it is their lazy ass kids who inherited the land.
Well, this is the whole ownership of private property thing. The lazy- ass kids are the owner(s), and can do what they damn well please. Not sure if you're a farmer, but if it meant that much to you, and your neighbors, you could have purchased the land, with the structures, and done what you wanted to do with them.

This is like the news story in Sommerville:

Should a neighbor be able to tell you what you can do on your land?

Even the hill towns out this way have their karens. It's definitely a disease that's spreading.

It’s all the clowns who freaked out during Covid and moved away from the larger population areas. A buddy of mine who lives near The Forks area in Maine. His wife is a teacher, and said during the early days of Covid when people were escaping NY/NJ, they had 22 new families move to the area. She stated they were almost unable to accommodate the influx, and that a large percentage of the parents were insufferable in their demands.

Well, this is the whole ownership of private property thing. The lazy- ass kids are the owner(s), and can do what they damn well please. Not sure if you're a farmer, but if it meant that much to you, and your neighbors, you could have purchased the land, with the structures, and done what you wanted to do with them.

This is like the news story in Sommerville:

Should a neighbor be able to tell you what you can do on your land?
over the years rich people from the cities have bought farms and large parcels of land that the locals can’t afford
He clearly stated that these are rich city folk with very deep pockets. He also stated that he and his neighbors could not afford to buy the land.

In my area of the Hilltowns we are being overrun by wealthy New Yorker's. (mostly summer places)

The nice old farm up on the paved road recently sold for $700,000. I only have a couple other neighbors and none of us had an extra $233,000 kicking around.

It all worked out as they are nice people, they let me ride my 4-wheeler's on their land and never complain about gun fire.

Your getting together with neighbor's plan is a pipe dream. Most of the "locals" around do not have a lot of $$$.

Ashfield is really not a "Hilltown" and does not have Hilltown values. Ashfield is close to Northamton and some of that has bled over.

In my Hiltown she would have not gotten through that 20 minute presentation before one of the LTC/Hunter selectmen shut her down.

Here in KY you cant grow tobacco commercially anymore for some reason I don't understand.
Same here…. The local politicians decided not only smoking was bad, but growing tabacco was bad too! Now all they grow are potatoes…. But with all the pesticides and roundup ready seed potatoes they have killed off most all the bees needed for pollination. Funny thing is, all that crap they put on potato fields to rid them of any weeds and bugs goes directly into the potatoes. And that’s why I grow my own. And they wonder why the cancer rates are skyrocketing.

He clearly stated that these are rich city folk with very deep pockets. He also stated that he and his neighbors could not afford to buy the land.

In my area of the Hilltowns we are being overrun by wealthy New Yorker's. (mostly summer places)

The nice old farm up on the paved road recently sold for $700,000. I only have a couple other neighbors and none of us had an extra $233,000 kicking around.

It all worked out as they are nice people, they let me ride my 4-wheeler's on their land and never complain about gun fire.

Your getting together with neighbor's plan is a pipe dream. Most of the "locals" around do not have a lot of $$$.
I understand about the locals not having enough money to buy it.

I was making a point, that people that presumably don't want to be told what to do (by virtue of posting on a 2A forum) take issue with others acting in their best interest, by selling the family farm.

The downside of freedom, is that others have it, too.

Back
Top Bottom