Ashfield Select Board hosting forum on gun noise

Maybe the central topic should be the benefits of making suppressors legal in MA.
Ashfield could lead the way and become a 'suppressor sanctuary'...
I was going to post about the law protecting ranges on noise issues.

I like your idea even better, but the former should also be mentioned. It should be read aloud with the Chapter and Section.

Gun noise? What BS!
How about leaf blower noise? lawnmower noise? weed whacker noise? chain saw noise?
The lawn Nazi's in Westfield living around the ex-GF's house used to drive me crazy all summer. 8-10 hrs a day all weekend these guys were in their yards with every lawn contraption running.
……………..gas powered lawn equipment will soon be banned as well

Gun noise is very misunderstood by the public.
-I'm hiking in the NH white mountains, I hear slow-fire gunshots in the distance. Liberal chick hiker goes "Is someone hunting? Is that thunder?". I had to explain that backyard ranges are common in NH.
-A month ago I was mountain biking Harold parker in Andover. I could hear the beautiful sound of 223 on 8" steel getting closer (that range is awesome btw). Nobody said anything.
-This past weekend, I road biked Sudbury/Southboro area and heard slow-fire rifle shots. Not sure which ranges were nearby, but likely a backyard range. Nobody freaked out.

Like others said, landscaping equipment and commercial trucks cause way more of a disturbance than gunshots.

Gun noise is very misunderstood by the public.
-I'm hiking in the NH white mountains, I hear slow-fire gunshots in the distance. Liberal chick hiker goes "Is someone hunting? Is that thunder?". I had to explain that backyard ranges are common in NH.
-A month ago I was mountain biking Harold parker in Andover. I could hear the beautiful sound of 223 on 8" steel getting closer (that range is awesome btw). Nobody said anything.
-This past weekend, I road biked Sudbury/Southboro area and heard slow-fire rifle shots. Not sure which ranges were nearby, but likely a backyard range. Nobody freaked out.

Like others said, landscaping equipment and commercial trucks cause way more of a disturbance than gunshots.
Naugy has:

A bit to the south:

So nice days it's not uncommon to hear.

Gun noise? What BS!
How about leaf blower noise? lawnmower noise? weed whacker noise? chain saw noise?
The lawn Nazi's in Westfield living around the ex-GF's house used to drive me crazy all summer. 8-10 hrs a day all weekend these guys were in their yards with every lawn contraption running.
The soothing sound of Mexican bagpipes!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_VeVMl0oKg

The guy shooting on his property needs to set up markers, a shooting bench, and other accoutrements of a "Gun range" in order to be sure he is grandfathered under the range protection law. Even some size fixed target stands and "WARNING - GUN RANGE" signs would be a good start. It's fine if he wishes to negotiate an agreement with his neighbors, but he would be best served to do so from a position of strength. If he is a grillmaster he could host an open carry BBQ :rolleyes: When speaking, he should refer to "his gun range", not "shooting on his property". And do it soon.

The fix would appear to be in - the complainant has been allocated 20 minutes and allowed to make a full audio/visual presentation and respondents are allowed 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Gun noise? What BS!
They will get to that........all in due time........

Shi has repeatedly disrupted their lives by firing high-capacity rifles for hours on end.

He should get together the local Barrett .50 Cal and Smooth Bore/ Cannon clubs if they don't like those highfalutin large capacity thingys.

Last edited:
Man they got it all "covered" don't they.....loud noises, AR-15, wanton, lead contamination, dying spouse, quality of life,.........

At the end of the day is the guy breaking any law?

"As a result, former Ashfield resident Keith Harmon Snow, who had moved out of Williamsburg after a neighbor started a gun range in the adjacent backyard, went to discuss the problem with Shi at his home in Wellesley. "

If "former Ashfield resident Keith Harmon Snow" showed up at my property I would tell him to get off my property because he was trespassing. If he called me I would refuse to say anything other than I won't discuss the issue, bye and hang up.

How does a "former Ashfield resident" have any standing in this issue.

Looks like the same man-Karen that had issues with his neighbor's range in Williamsburg, is now having issues with his neighbor's range in Ashfield since he moved there. Tale a hint loser, move to New Jersey and you won't have to deal with the sounds of rural life.

From both of the posted articles: "former Ashfield resident Keith Harmon Snow"

He appears not to live there anymore. He should STFU and go away. I don't see how he has any standing in the issue.

Try living within a half hour of Camp LeJeune and its remote air fields and bomb ranges in one direction, and Marine Corpse Air Station Cherry Point with its wide assortment of aircraft in the other direction, with occasional MedEvac or Coast Guard helicopters flying over to the hospital two miles away, too. And yeah, I work from home and my neighbors or their landscapers have some loud mowers, blowers, and whackers running while I'm trying to take business calls. Invasive noise is a way of life.

Now, the deal for us is, we knew this moving in. The realtors even mentioned it while we were house hunting that we'd hear bombs and about the low-flying aircraft. So we're not surprised, and can't complain.

If you move into a place near an airport or gun range, you have no right to bitch about it later.

In the Ashfield case, how long has the range been in steady use?

Also -- this should be prima facie evidence that suppressors should not only NOT be banned, they should be encouraged!

Ever notice that there is something about the way almost all moon-bats look, male, female and other, that makes them instantly identifiable in a lineup?

Maybe the central topic should be the benefits of making suppressors legal in MA.
Ashfield could lead the way and become a 'suppressor sanctuary'...

I was going to post about the law protecting ranges on noise issues.

I like your idea even better, but the former should also be mentioned. It should be read aloud with the Chapter and Section.

This is why suppressors should be legal and not require a tax stamp.

From the recorder article:

Isaac Clark, who said he is a gun owner and collector, said more laws and regulations are not the answer. He said noise issues can be reduced with gun suppressors — more commonly known as silencers. However, Massachusetts is one of nine states in the country that ban the devices. Perhaps, Clark suggested, a grassroots effort to overturn the ban could resolve gun noise problems across the state.

There was a time when you would just go talk to your neighbor(s) and work something out without getting the "Man" involved.
Unfortunately almost no one knows their neighbors any longer. I hardly knew most of my neighbors when I lived in NH. It was almost like a cloistered community.

It's way different here in Southern Missouri. When I moved my wife and I here last year, the neighbors all around us showed up to help unload the truck. I think the folks that owned our house previously put out the word or my wife's siblings who live nearby were the "little Birdies".

These neighbors showed up to help move furniture into the house and move extra stuff into the barn, They brought bags and bags...and bags, of groceries and stuffed our cupboards and refrigerator with food. They still drop by occasionally, a year later, and check on us.

One next door neighbor behind us is a veterinarian, his dad, another next door neighbor just north of us owns a farmers store...you can bet we give these guys as much business as we can. Another neighbor (the neighbor dad's son in law) down the road learned (somehow) that I needed a ditch dug from the service pole to our barn, about 170 feet away to run power to. He showed up with his tractor and a ditch digger and dug the ditch for me...gratis. I bartered that job for my field full of hay, which that family cut for me. They have cattle and with the price of hay lately, they certainly appreciated it.

Last edited:
“gun noise” “silencers” “Karens”

Sounds like every day in my life

If Karen calls the goddamn police on me one more time over shooting at the airbase or explosives training at the airbase or blasting at the rock Corry and I have to put my pants on and talk to somebody.

I may finally snap.

This is the same type of people who couldn’t tell you which direction north is…

Back
Top Bottom