Tighten up Maine's Firearm Laws

By Karen D'Andrea
Mar 22, 2010

"Maine guns for Mass. drugs" (March 14) was an excellent piece of journalism. Congratulations to Mark LaFlamme for his coverage of this topic. Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence has been working on this issue for a considerable time and applauds his work.

The National Rifle Association has argued that there is no such thing as a gun show loophole and, on its Web site, calls it a myth. Tell that to the victims of crime in Massachusetts and New York where Maine guns, obtained legally here, were used by felons in the commission of those crimes.

In Maine, as the article pointed out, only federally licensed gun dealers such as L.L. Bean or Cabela’s require background checks. What it didn’t mention is that 200 to 300 people each year fail those checks. But those who fail, including felons, can easily obtain guns through Uncle Henry’s, immediately and without a background check. Uncle Henry’s lists hundreds of guns for sale or trade every week.

LaFlamme does a good job of pointing out that responsible gun owners do not want to sell a gun that might end up being used in a homicide, but realistically there are only two solutions: the gun seller can, voluntarily, go through a licensed dealer for the sale, or Maine needs to tighten up its laws and require all sellers to do background checks.

Karen A. D’Andrea, director

SOURCE

MY REPLY-
Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence joined the National Rifle Association in publicly endorsing the Maine Gun Sellers Kit available from the US Department of Justice. The kit is available at [email protected] OR CALL (207) 771-3294.

Enforcement of current laws works. Selling firearms to prohibited persons puts the seller in serious civil and criminal jeopardy. Visit http://www.mainecwptraining.com/IMPORTANT_LINKS.html for important state and federal firearm laws.

MY REPLY-
Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence joined the National Rifle Association in publicly endorsing the Maine Gun Sellers Kit available from the US Department of Justice. The kit is available at [email protected] OR CALL (207) 771-3294.

Enforcement of current laws works. Selling firearms to prohibited persons puts the seller in serious civil and criminal jeopardy. Visit http://www.mainecwptraining.com/IMPORTANT_LINKS.html for important state and federal firearm laws.

Bah.

As Homer Simpson said, "Facts! They can be used to prove anything that's remotely true!"

You should know that facts are irrelevant is a situation like this.....

What is the Maine version of GOAL? As a Ma**h*** who spends a lot of time in Maine, wants to eventually retire to or buy property in Maine I would like to start supporting the effort there.

Google turns up some info, but, horses mouth etc.

The NRA and the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine are very active in Maine. If you're not an NRA member you can join here with a $10 discount to $25. Scroll to the bottom of our home page and select the JOIN NRA insignia.

So what is this "Maine Gun Sellers Kit" and why do you have to e-mail someone to get it? Why can't you just download it from a web page?

It gives the sellers instructions / guides and laws relating to the transfer of firearms. Free for the asking. Too large to download.

You don't have to email a request~ you can call too.

The NRA and the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine are very active in Maine. If you're not an NRA member you can join here with a $10 discount to $25. Scroll to the bottom of our home page and select the JOIN NRA insignia.

I am an NRA member, I'll check into the Maine Sportsman's alliance. Thanks!

We'll be at the Maine Sportsman's Show in Augusta Representing the NRA ~ Western Maine Fish & Game and Maine CWP Training

Have to check the dates, I know I'll be up there in late July, and again in August. Mid coast trip with the family then later we want to check out Baxter park. Joined S.A.M.

The 30th Annual State of Maine Sportsman’s Show (SMSS), the largest sportsman’s event in the state, will run April 2, 3 and 4 at the Augusta Civic Center off Interstate 95’s Exit 112.

“This year, our audiences will have entertaining choices, ranging from extraordinarily skilled, well-known personalities to excellent exhibits,” promised Harry Vanderweide, the show’s co-director.

This year’s 3-day show gives the audience an option of over 100 seminars and stage events, 130 booths in the auditorium and myriad exhibits in rooms around the main floor, the most attractions ever in the last 30 years.

THE MAINE SPORTSMAN'S SHOW

Back
Top Bottom