Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap

The description in one article listed as a quote from the mother said that the gun was firing on it's own while spinning in a circle. If a handgun, placed on it's side, suddenly went full auto while out of a person's hands, I would expect it to spin like what was described. The key to this whole thing being did the gun somehow become a FA and if so, how.

ETA: The second post in this thread says, "How did one round get three people?". That is the natural assumption but apparently it was not one round.

Wow, that's like a whole other type of russian roulette!

If she's been around guns all her life, she should have been loading it herself. My theory is he dropped the slide as he laid it down, got a slam fire when he didn't have a good grip, then the gem went full auto, thanks to either Jennings' famous QC or the gunsmithing skills of some Iraqi blacksmith. Either way, it wouldn't have happened if they'd followed the rules.
Damn, I wish I had your crystal ball. That must be one hell of a ball to let you figure that out all by yourself just from the newspaper article.

I'm psychic

Damn, I wish I had your crystal ball. That must be one hell of a ball to let you figure that out all by yourself just from the newspaper article.

Theory = Guess. It's hard to imagine the process getting launched without the dude having some contact with the gun. Either he was on the trigger, or he did a fast rack of the slide before handing it off. The article DID say he loaded it. Maybe it was space aliens. In any case, it shouldn't have gone WFO.

Jennings poor manufacture aside...my guess is someone, either the kid with the gun or someone prior to him, doing a little modification to try to get this POS to shoot full auto. Can understand poor manufacture accounting for a drop fire or slam fire, but shooting several shots in a row? My guess is an amateur modification gone very bad.

more fuel for there fire

Gun control (or lack thereof) takes on new meaning at Florida shooting range
October 5, 2009 | 11:47 am
Guns don't kill people; people kill people.
That has been a popular refrain among opponents of stricter gun control. Well, it turns out that guns -- all by themselves -- can at least injure people.

In a bizarre incident at a Lakeland, Fla., practice facility on Saturday, a 9-millimeter handgun began shooting on its own while spinning in circles. Three people were injured and one, a 29-year-old tourist visiting the range with a friend, was struck in the shoulder and throat and as of Sunday night remained hospitalized in stable condition.

Bullets started flying moments after Michael Thourot had fired and reloaded the weapon, and set it down for his wife to use.

Sherri Thourot was struck in the back of her right arm and the bullet exited in the biceps area. Her bone was shattered. Michael Thourot was struck in the left hand. Gary Flynn was the unlucky tourist.

Sherri Thourot told the St. Petersburg Times she first noticed that her husband had been hit. "But I couldn't tell how bad," she said. "Then I realized I had been hit. My hand was bent forward and I couldn't move my arm."

The husband and wife were test-firing their new weapon at Saddle Creek Shooting Range.

-- Pete Thomas

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/out...reof-takes-on-new-meaning-at-tampa-range.html

Gun control (or lack thereof) takes on new meaning at Florida shooting range
October 5, 2009 | 11:47 am
Guns don't kill people; people kill people.
That has been a popular refrain among opponents of stricter gun control. Well, it turns out that guns -- all by themselves -- can at least injure people.

In a bizarre incident at a Lakeland, Fla., practice facility on Saturday, a 9-millimeter handgun began shooting on its own while spinning in circles. Three people were injured and one, a 29-year-old tourist visiting the range with a friend, was struck in the shoulder and throat and as of Sunday night remained hospitalized in stable condition.

Bullets started flying moments after Michael Thourot had fired and reloaded the weapon, and set it down for his wife to use.

Sherri Thourot was struck in the back of her right arm and the bullet exited in the biceps area. Her bone was shattered. Michael Thourot was struck in the left hand. Gary Flynn was the unlucky tourist.

Sherri Thourot told the St. Petersburg Times she first noticed that her husband had been hit. "But I couldn't tell how bad," she said. "Then I realized I had been hit. My hand was bent forward and I couldn't move my arm."

The husband and wife were test-firing their new weapon at Saddle Creek Shooting Range.

-- Pete Thomas

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/out...reof-takes-on-new-meaning-at-tampa-range.html

Oh great.... that's all we needed.

I don't recall cars getting banned when they'd "run away" all by themselves. We just have to deal with that stupid brake interlock where we have to have our foot on the brakes when we shift into drive.

I don't recall cars getting banned when they'd "run away" all by themselves. We just have to deal with that stupid brake interlock where we have to have our foot on the brakes when we shift into drive.
Ralph tried[wink]

I just file this under "stuff happens" and the more familiar with firearms the every day "joe" is, the harder it will be for questionable handling to do result in a tragedy...

Probably REAL event as reported!!

I found this info posted on another forum w/o attribution, so a little Google search shows where it came from (ATFE & IL SP Lab) as follows:

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 2.htm (about 1/3 of the way down the page)

BRYCO ARMS
Model Jennings Nine,
9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

* AFTE Journal, Spring 2001; Volume 33, Number 2:145-147
* Illinois State Police Laboratory, Springfield - Notice, December 7, 2000

jennings

was the jennings gun of choice for police some yrs ago as a backup.it may be junk to you but there were many guns made cheaper then jennings when I grew up.and very few had S&W or COLTS.and most were police.if you look at the design you will see it is copy of many euopean countries guns.

Apparently Jennnings went out of business as a result of a liability judgement against them and became Jimenez Firearms in 2004. Jimenez began again to make the Jennings models with new labelling and model numbers.

Here's a comment about their 9mm...
Allegedly, the JA-NINE 9mm handgun was prone to catastrophic failure under normal firing conditions. (If you have any proof of a catastrophic failure please email this website.As far as the owner of this site has been able to research none have been presented to a court of law).

Link to Jimenez (Jennings)

was the jennings gun of choice for police some yrs ago as a backup.it may be junk to you but there were many guns made cheaper then jennings when I grew up.and very few had S&W or COLTS.and most were police.if you look at the design you will see it is copy of many euopean countries guns.

I think any gun that can
spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases
should be considered junk. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom