thoughts on the M&P 9mm?

E

ericdimarzio

Any thoughts on the M&P 9? Was shooting my buddy's free state (Utah) XD40 the other day and really enjoyed it. It was my first glock style automatic. Since then I was thinking about getting an M&P 9 for my first auto seeing as this state in its infinite stupidity has deemed the XD series unsafe (My only other pistol is a Smith and Wesson 686). Any idea how the two would compare calibers aside or any other general thoughts on the M&P 9?

M&P is nice, but I traded mine in for a Glock 19 and couldn't be happier. Both are great pistols, but there a lot of preban 15rounds floating around for the Glock that aren't available for the M&P. Also, out of 500rounds my S&W jammed several times. This isn't to speak for all M&P's but that was my experience. My Glock has yet to fail after 1000rnds.

thanks

Interesting, just a couple more questions. I know there are only a couple glocks on the roster is the 19 one of them? Also I know that Smith and wesson offers the M&P in both a regular and carry version. I know the barrel is 3/4 of an inch shorter in the carry. Is there much a difference between the two of them at the range and if so would the full size be concealable on someone 5'7" 160ish

Is the trigger that heavy? are we talking revolver heavy? and if so how much can i reduce it and stilll have it legal and safe?

Is the trigger that heavy? are we talking revolver heavy?

Yes. 10+ pounds.

and if so how much can i reduce it and stilll have it legal and safe?

The regulations govern only what it can have when the dealer sells it to you. You can reduce it to whatever you like.

As far as what is safe, that depends upon you, what you intend to use it for, and your tolerance for risk. There are those who are comfortable carrying a Glock with a 3.5 lb connector. There are those who recommend carrying a Glock with the NY trigger.

If I was you, I'd look for something in the 5 lb range for carry. If you are an experienced shooter and are only going to use it as a race gun in IDPA/IPSC, then you'd probably want lighter.

Is the trigger that heavy? are we talking revolver heavy? and if so how much can i reduce it and stilll have it legal and safe?

Generally, 5-6lbs is a decent defensive trigger, although it's user preference. Some 1911 users prefer 2-3lbs crisp triggers. The M&P's are generally around the 10-13lb range, I've even heard some around the 18lb range [shocked]. You'd have a better chance concealing the compact version, which BTW is really good at the range.

I agree if I were to do this the worst i would lighten it to would be about a 6 lb pull, espcially seeing as I am used to the 10lb pull on my 686. and thanks for the info on the carry version, as this gun would have to have some eventual carry capability if I end up working as a public defender in a couple years like I hope. How much would a trigger job like that run me? (I am a student so money is an issue)

I'd consider that too light for anything other than range use.

Too each his own. As long as when I pull that trigger it goes bang, I could care less about the pull. I know enough to keep my finger of the trigger until ready to fire. For a 1911, that's easy enough because of the safety and the grip safety. For a glock, No external Safeties 5lb should be ideal.

I believe S&W has an M&P action package where they polish certain things, install peformance sear, etc. I heard (though can't verify as accurate) that after all this stuff, the trigger pull is down to 5-6 lbs. I believe cost is around $125-150 total.

There are also several gunsmiths in Mass. that can do this as well.

I have an M&P .40c and like it better than a glock 27. It just feels better in my hand than the glocks. Not that I wouldn't buy a new glock if I could legally do so.

Last edited:
I agree if I were to do this the worst i would lighten it to would be about a 6 lb pull, espcially seeing as I am used to the 10lb pull on my 686. and thanks for the info on the carry version, as this gun would have to have some eventual carry capability if I end up working as a public defender in a couple years like I hope. How much would a trigger job like that run me? (I am a student so money is an issue)

Check with Greg Derr http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=297

I believe S&W has an M&P action package where the polish certain things, install peformance sear, etc. I heard (though can't verify as accurate) that after all this stuff, the trigger pull is down to 5-6 lbs. I believe cost is around $125-150 total.

Will S&W do this for a MA resident?

I believe S&W has an M&P action package where the polish certain things, install peformance sear, etc. I heard (though can't verify as accurate) that after all this stuff, the trigger pull is down to 5-6 lbs. I believe cost is around $125-150 total.

There are also several gunsmiths in Mass. that can do this as well.

I have an M&P .40c and like it better than a glock 27. It just feels better in my hand than the glocks. Not that I wouldn't buy a new glock if I could legally do so.

Gregg Derr in Marshfield, MA does excellent trigger work for $60 or $65. You can't get a better trigger job than what he can do.

I called to get a price from Pete's gunshop in Cheshire MA as I will be out there in a week for a bachelor party. He gave me a competitive price and told me that for $30 he can drop a new sear in which would lowe the pull to the 5lb range has anybody heard of this being done before and if so could you speak to its effectiveness (I do not mean to disparage the shop just trying to cross reference this)

Gregg Derr in Marshfield, MA does excellent trigger work for $60 or $65. You can't get a better trigger job than what he can do.

Greg did mine for about that and 1/2 a box of ammo. Regarding misfires, I have tried 6 or 7 different brands of ammo and the only one I had problems with was S&B. I just bought gold-dot today to give that a try. Otherwise I think I am at about 700 rounds since December with no other issues.

This was my first center fire semi-auto pistol. I wanted 9mm because of ammo cost but was concerned about the heavy DAO trigger. The rebates were to good to pass up and I never even bothered to fire it before Greg worked on it. I am very happy with it.

Bill

Last edited:
I called to get a price from Pete's gunshop in Cheshire MA as I will be out there in a week for a bachelor party. He gave me a competitive price and told me that for $30 he can drop a new sear in which would lowe the pull to the 5lb range has anybody heard of this being done before and if so could you speak to its effectiveness (I do not mean to disparage the shop just trying to cross reference this)

Yes, I have done this -- you (or better yet, the professional gunsmith) replace the sear in the gun sold in MA with the 'standard' sear in the gun sold outside Ma, which is 6.5 lb. trigger pull. It really makes a difference![grin], and as you continue shooting, it becomes even less (or, at least, appears that way). I have put through over 3k rounds through my 9c, and it is smooth and easy. A great gun, but, I believe, less so if were to have the 10lb. mandated trigger pull in MA. Just my opinion....

Why buy a full size gun that can only (legally in MA) hold 10 rounds when there are plenty of semi autos that hold 15-16 rounds. I just don't get why the M&P has any following.

Why buy a full size gun that can only (legally in MA) hold 10 rounds when there are plenty of semi autos that hold 15-16 rounds. I just don't get why the M&P has any following.

Have you ever held or shot one? Many (but not all) like them better than the glocks and other polymer semi-autos because they feel better in the hand. I agree, it would be nice to get the large capacity magazines with them.

thanks clearshot it was good to hear someone else mention this being done. Once again I did not mean to disparage the shop, especially since their price is basically inline with Four Seasons. I just like to cross check most things that I hear

I love my M&Ps because they are well-made, well-designed guns that are very amenable to a good gunsmith's tweaks. Even a neutered, Mass-triggered gun can blossom into a true champion.

I love my M&Ps because they are well-made, well-designed guns that are very amenable to a good gunsmith's tweaks. Even a neutered, Mass-triggered gun can blossom into a true champion.

And Massachusetts made with a lifetime warranty.[smile]

I have an M&P 9mm compact - been using it, oh, I guess close to 3 months now, and have shot it nearly every week since. I am in FL so there is no trigger prob/adjustment required, and I feel no need to adjust it. The only jam I have had was with the magazines that S&W sent free, the other 3 I have been using have no problem, so will adjust the new ones. Anyway I have no complaints about the gun and have enjoyed it.

i've had mine since april...

i went with the compact for a back up / summer CCW.

i love it.... feels good in the hand, shoots nice and very reliable.

i had issues with the cheap "Range Safe" ammo...

but it eats everything else fine...

Back
Top Bottom