• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on Abu Ghraib and the guy that revealed it.

Well, the reason the guards at Abu Ghraib got court-martialed is for violating US Army regulations pertaining to treatment of prisoners. They got their just rewards for their actions. They were wrong, and likely influenced by employees of certain intelligence agencies that had to be there. THat doesn't make it right, though.

That being said, I have ZERO empathy for any prisoners there. Damned straight they want to stay under US control. The Iraqis will certainly treat them far worse than the Americans have, and they know it. What was done to them by Americans was very mild, but has in fact, been blown way out of proportion by the media.

And Sue, the main reason Alan's unit was running the place is likely due to the Guard having more maturity and responsibility.

I honestly don't remember hearing about things done that were worse than what was originally reported. That being said Lugnut, I haven't checked on what you've been reading, however, I will say that from other things I've heard, what the original "victims" in AG got is nothing to what our boys have endured and died from. Anyone remember Black Hawk Down? (I still hate Clinton with a passion for hanging those boys out there to die. I hate him anyway, but after seeing the movie, I REALLY loathe the man).

But to answer your question about the whistle blower.... I'll chime in with the rest of those who've served. You NEVER sell out your country or those who you trust to cover your 6. While his life might suck because of what he did, he did it to himself. I have no sympathy for him.

My 2 cents.

If they called that torture and abuse, they are way off base. I have seen worse than that happening in prisons and jails right here in New England!
Most of the time it was warranted and other times, I was not in any position to do anything about it. Think serious retribution.

Also, I had the opportunity to serve under BG Karpinksy. She was only a captain at the time, but one sqared away commander. If she had any inkling of what was going on, she would have stopped it personally. I know, as I have been on the wrong side of her wrath! Several times.

She was also the type of commander that wanted to be the best at what she did and pushed the envelope of the "boys club".
She obviously pissed someone off and was made the sacrificial lamb in this facade called "torture".

Next time we have a shoot, pull me aside and I can give you some personal insight into BG Karpinsky and the state of corrections in this country.

I've always wondered why it was so terrible to make them wear underwear on their heads - at least they still had heads on their shoulders on which to put underwear! [shocked]

I've always wondered why it was so terrible to make them wear underwear on their heads - at least they still had heads on their shoulders on which to put underwear! [shocked]

That's what this is about???? Underwear on thier heads......naked little willy laughing jokes???? Hmmmm...if they are complaining about that obviously they never went to college...lol

Back
Top Bottom