• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is how nuts things are currently

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
Or do what I did and skip buying the textbooks.

Can't do that in law school for the first year and a half. You actually have to read the textbooks. At least if you want to actually survive and not be put on academic probation and get good enough grades to snag a good job. Or, you know, be competent. Second half of law school, the textbooks are still pretty valuable.

For example, can you explain the 1983 Advisory Committee Notes to Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and subsequent case law interpretations thereof?

Funny/positive story:

In undergrad, I was a peer tutor. Most people I tutored requested tutoring for freshman accounting, basically Accounting 101. I had one guy my last semester that the tutoring coordinator specifically wanted me to work with because we had the same professor. That professor ran the class by assigning us work that had to be completed in Excel. The textbook contained very specific instructions, that if followed, guaranteed you an A. If you didn't have the textbook or if you didn't use the textbook, you'd get a B- to a F.

So anyways, I meet this guy and he basically says that he's getting solid Ds in the class and he wants to transfer, so he has to pass. Ok, no problem. We meet up every week and he seems to understand what I explain to him but he's not really getting any better than than a B- or a C+, which was an improvement but not really impressive enough to save his bacon. I kept telling him "read the textbook."

We get to the last couple weeks before finals. We meet up to discuss the final, which is basically one giant Excel project that the textbook lays out like a roadmap from start to finish. He said he got an A or an A-, can't remember which, on his previous homework. I asked what he did. He said "I read the book."

Kid passed the final and the class with flying colors and got to transfer to a college closer to his home, all because he finally learned to read the textbook. I'd call that a win.

The vast majority of the buyers are low information gun owners looking for one or two boxes of ammo.

My expectation is that because this is mostly the low information people buying ammo, ... they'll stop frenzy buying sooner than what happened in 2012-2013. They either don't know about online ammo or won't be able to find any....

I wish that were true. Most of the training ammo online is sold out everywhere. Duty/competition ammo is still available, but slim pickings and some places are price gouging. Heck, even primers are starting to disappear from stocks online. This is more than just low information gun owners. I want to believe that the ammo logistics will stabilize, but they'll take a while to get back to where they were, and then we'll have the general elections. This is going to be at least a year drought I think. I had anticipated a drought coming up and stocked up a bit a few weeks ago, but I did not anticipate it on this scale or this early.

I wish that were true. Most of the training ammo online is sold out everywhere. Duty/competition ammo is still available, but slim pickings and some places are price gouging. Heck, even primers are starting to disappear from stocks online. This is more than just low information gun owners. I want to believe that the ammo logistics will stabilize, but they'll take a while to get back to where they were, and then we'll have the general elections. This is going to be at least a year drought I think. I had anticipated a drought coming up and stocked up a bit a few weeks ago, but I did not anticipate it on this scale or this early.
Yeah I just noticed Win and CCI primers are sold out from my favorite vendor. The other vendor still has them in stock though.

Yeah I just noticed Win and CCI primers are sold out from my favorite vendor. The other vendor still has them in stock though.

I was about to purchase some reloading stuff, including CCI 41s and had it in my cart overnight while I thought about it. I waited too long. I've got plenty of ammo and I can ride out a drought. Heck, I don't even have any of my pile of cases cleaned to put the primers in. But yeah, they're being bought fast.

My optimistic thought is that this'll end before the election and that, with a Trump victory, things will return to normal.

My less than optimistic thought is that the buying frenzy of this past weekend is going to set off a series of chain reactions like what happened in 2012-2013. Back then, the first guns to go were MSRs. Then defensive guns like handguns and shotguns. Then hunting and surplus guns. With the guns goes the ammo/reloading supplies.

My pessimistic thought is that we're all f*cked if a Dem gets elected in November. Then game over man, game over. Or something similar thereto.

If you think there are shortages now, wait until the coronavirus insanity affects food supply to major cities. If there is any looting or rioting that result in "LA Korean shopowner" levels of response, there won't be any guns or ammo on any store shelf in America.
That reminds me, I need more popcorn and beer

Funny/positive story:

In undergrad, I was a peer tutor. Most people I tutored requested tutoring for freshman accounting, basically Accounting 101. I had one guy my last semester that the tutoring coordinator specifically wanted me to work with because we had the same professor. That professor ran the class by assigning us work that had to be completed in Excel. The textbook contained very specific instructions, that if followed, guaranteed you an A. If you didn't have the textbook or if you didn't use the textbook, you'd get a B- to a F.
Yes, the old textbook-or-fail cabal.

It's a racket.

One of my sons went to Hendrix University, which is "Kudzu League" (Ivy League of the South). Even in 2008, they had a school-wide policy of allowing e-books, used books, or any other source of information that could supply the necessary information so that students could learn the lessons and pass the tests. Tests were never based on the assigned textbooks.

In Ct, we are undergoing the perfect storm. I ordered an AR 'other' friday from a large lgs. Figured I'd wait 'til tuesday, normal working hours to get it. Have called, emailed and tried web site contact since Sunday with no response. Went in today, had to take a number. I was 297. They were serving 73. I waz talking to #74 at 3 p.m.. He'd been there since 7:30 a.m.. He got his 2 lowers at 3:40.
We have a rep trying to add a 35% ammo tax, coronapanic, a newfound loophole allowing AR's to once again be home built, which meant over 1000 orders for lowers at this store in 2 weeks, and bidens issue with the 2a and autoworkers. I filed a dispute on gun #20 tonight; not willing to pay for something I may never get while still needing to work and sleep. A co worker got his first pistol Monday, 5 hours at a small shop, and very lucky I'm here to sell him some 9mm.

You say that like its a bad thing........dont you ALWAYS feel like you need your ammo NOW?

[rofl]

Not if you plan ahead and buy ammo before crazy crap like this. I buy ammo to use and store, so even though I did put an order in for some 115gr 9mm, I still have ~1.5K rounds of 9mm to plink around with and have if SHTF.

There’s an article in today’s Globe about the ammo run in RI, and there’s a guy who has never owned a gun, but went out and bought a shotgun for defending his family. The picture shows him holding a couple of boxes of #9 loads. While effective in stopping an intruder, someone needs to tell him about pattern spread and the existence of slugs and 00 buck. I reload my skeet and clays rounds with #9 - I don’t use it for self defense.
Maybe he is looking to catch a Gimp.

And "an idea" is about as far as it will go with most people.[laugh]

True. And sad because you can buy a single stage Lee, Lee die set and scale for pretty cheap at any time. And the learning curve is pretty low if you are doing a caliber like 9mm. Buy any bottle of powder, read the label, buy the bullets listed and only use the charge listed.

Yeah you're not winning any bullseye pistol comps doing that, but you can certainly train and defend yourself.

Not to be a nag, but if anyone new is really serious about reloading, please learn how to safely reload and work up a load. Don't need to blow your hand off. All the info is out there on the web to safely get started. I recommend Jonny's Reloading Bench and Panhandle Precision on youtube.

I reload .357/.38 , 10mm, 5.56, and 6.5CM and never took a reloading class.

Not to be a nag, but if anyone new is really serious about reloading, please learn how to safely reload and work up a load. Don't need to blow your hand off. All the info is out there on the web to safely get started. I recommend Jonny's Reloading Bench and Panhandle Precision on youtube.

You can either pay attention to the post above or you can have an oopsie that will scare you into paying attention. I had an oopsie but can still count to 10

True. And sad because you can buy a single stage Lee, Lee die set and scale for pretty cheap at any time. And the learning curve is pretty low if you are doing a caliber like 9mm. Buy any bottle of powder, read the label, buy the bullets listed and only use the charge listed.

Yeah you're not winning any bullseye pistol comps doing that, but you can certainly train and defend yourself.

Fyi if you do this you should be paying about $7 a box, and the setup should pay itself off in about 2000 rounds or so, depending on how you hit your sales.

I agree. When I first got into shooting in the 1970s I started reloading .38, .357, .380, 9mm and .45. I was meticulous in the process and never had an issue. I loaded and shot thousands of rounds. I stopped reloading and stopped shooting as frequently due to time constraints. Now that I'm moving to NH, I'm selling off all my reloading stuff as I have less space and enough ammo, I just need more time to shoot.

You can either pay attention to the post above or you can have an oopsie that will scare you into paying attention. I had an oopsie but can still count to 10
Being extra vigilant is all that it takes. Just like firearms, there isn't much room for mistakes.

I ran an NRA Home Firearms Safety class two days ago. Had to make sure personal distance and other sanitation methods were in place. A number of people were procrastinating getting firearms training for a long time, and what's going on was pressuring them into action.

I have heard many PD's stopped licensing interviews altogether, however. That'll put a damper on people who are desperate for licenses.

I ran an NRA Home Firearms Safety class two days ago. Had to make sure personal distance and other sanitation methods were in place. A number of people were procrastinating getting firearms training for a long time, and what's going on was pressuring them into action.

I have heard many PD's stopped licensing interviews altogether, however. That'll put a damper on people who are desperate for licenses.

those people need to go tear their chiefs a new a**h***, and complain to selectmen... and they need to gig themselves for waiting so long.

A lack of a license would never stop me from making, having or carrying a gun, especially in a time when SHTF is a high possibilty.

There’s an article in today’s Globe about the ammo run in RI, and there’s a guy who has never owned a gun, but went out and bought a shotgun for defending his family. The picture shows him holding a couple of boxes of #9 loads. While effective in stopping an intruder, someone needs to tell him about pattern spread and the existence of slugs and 00 buck. I reload my skeet and clays rounds with #9 - I don’t use it for self defense.
#9 is an excellent home def round. up close results are horrific, low penetration through walls. hope perp isn't next to anybody special, though.

#9 is an excellent home def round. up close results are horrific, low penetration through walls. hope perp isn't next to anybody special, though.

Nope.

Wounds inflicted from birdshot tend to be gruesome yet shallow as they lack the penetration required to reach vital cardiovascular or central nervous system structures.

Back
Top Bottom