This is how nuts things are currently

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Went to law school to go clean out my locker. Our semester is officially online for the remainder. Here's where it gets interesting. I saw a fellow law student who works at a FFL in Hope Valley, RI. He hasn't slept in four days. They sold 60,000 rounds of ammo on Saturday (3/14/20 for future readers). Piles of guns sold in the backroom.

The vast majority of the buyers are low information gun owners looking for one or two boxes of ammo.

My expectation is that because this is mostly the low information people buying ammo, who still think Dick's and Wal-Mart are viable ammo options, they'll stop frenzy buying sooner than what happened in 2012-2013. They either don't know about online ammo or won't be able to find any. So once stuff gets back in stock around a month out, they'll have their one box of ammo that isn't even the right caliber and will be content. Could be wrong, but this panic is mostly driven by people who aren't "in the know" or competitive shooters or people afraid of a second coming of a national assault weapons ban.

Most people probably feel they “need” their ammo now, and don’t want to search and wait for online options.

Hope your classmate sees a light at the end of this tunnel.

All my “less informed” friends are scrambling to find ammo now even though all year I been calling them and asking them if they want to tag in on my orders. I keep telling them that the prices have not been this good in 10 years. Now they keep asking when om going to order more......

I read in another thread where someone saw a guy at a gun store grabbing up boxes of 9mm projectiles and when someone informed them that wasn't actual ammo just bullets , they put them back.
Seems like that was one of the dumbest gun owners out there, some shitbird neckbeard , or a non gun owner .

I read in another thread where someone saw a guy at a gun store grabbing up boxes of 9mm projectiles and when someone informed them that wasn't actual ammo just bullets , they put them back.
Seems like that was one of the dumbest gun owners out there, some shitbird neckbeard , or a non gun owner .

There’s an article in today’s Globe about the ammo run in RI, and there’s a guy who has never owned a gun, but went out and bought a shotgun for defending his family. The picture shows him holding a couple of boxes of #9 loads. While effective in stopping an intruder, someone needs to tell him about pattern spread and the existence of slugs and 00 buck. I reload my skeet and clays rounds with #9 - I don’t use it for self defense.

Last edited:
There’s an article in today’s Globe aboutthe ammo run in RI, and there’s a guy who has never owned a gun, but went out and bought a shotgun for defending his family. The picture shows him holding a couple of boxes of #9 loads. While effective in stopping an intruder, someone needs to tell him about pattern spread and the existence of slugs and 00 buck. I reload my skeet and clays rounds with #9 - I don’t use it for self defense.

Recently, I did some plinking with @daekken that involved his suppressed .22 PPK/S and my 930 JM Pro. I normally run No. 8 1180fps AAs in my JM Pro but I had a box of steel hull Silver Bear shotgun shells that I bought in like 2013, 2014, and I just wanted the damned things out of my closet. So, I fired the steel shells without any problems and had a bunch of steel empties.

Towards the end of the range session, I was curious if we could make hits on the steel hulls with the .22. Short answer is yes.

The suppressed .22s were able to put a nice dent and hole in the steel hulls. After that, we tried No. 8 out of my shotgun. The birdshot couldn't penetrate the hulls. Just made some shot-shaped light dents, but no penetration. This was fairly cheap steel, like something you'd see on steel tubing.

So, in terms of penetration, a silent but deadly .22 appears to be more effective than trap loads. I wouldn't trust trap or skeet loads for home defense. The problem is, now, people just want whatever will chamber (or sometimes not?) in their guns. If it's around, they'll buy it.

I honestly think that most of the panic buyers have no clue what they're actually buying.

There’s an article in today’s Globe aboutthe ammo run in RI, and there’s a guy who has never owned a gun, but went out and bought a shotgun for defending his family. The picture shows him holding a couple of boxes of #9 loads. While effective in stopping an intruder, someone needs to tell him about pattern spread and the existence of slugs and 00 buck. I reload my skeet and clays rounds with #9 - I don’t use it for self defense.

Meh. Within 10 yards (inside your house) that would put a world of hurt on an intruder. [laugh]

I was always going to make up some ultra-badass HD loads - 12 ga, 00 Buck, then, before crimping, pour some 8/9shot in, to fill up all that unused space between the big pellets. [shocked]

There’s an article in today’s Globe about the ammo run in RI, and there’s a guy who has never owned a gun, but went out and bought a shotgun for defending his family. The picture shows him holding a couple of boxes of #9 loads. While effective in stopping an intruder, someone needs to tell him about pattern spread and the existence of slugs and 00 buck. I reload my skeet and clays rounds with #9 - I don’t use it for self defense.

Better than harsh language I suppose.
I wouldn't want to catch a load of it at 10-12 feet.
The wad would be somewhere around your backbone.

All my “less informed” friends are scrambling to find ammo now even though all year I been calling them and asking them if they want to tag in on my orders. I keep telling them that the prices have not been this good in 10 years. Now they keep asking when om going to order more......

Just tell them you're not.

Classic " a day late and a dollar short" gun owners.

There's a shitload of people who do this.

Last edited:
Come on. if you throw them really really hard, they will leave a nasty welt!

they got a book on how to bullshit? in my humble opinion the best lawyers are the ones who bullshit the best.

bad for defending your family, but good if there are some fat birds in the back yard and your family is hungry!

I agree that it’s mostly low information gun owners. I was chatting with a guy buying ammo at a gun shop today and he said he’s had his license for a year but hasn’t shot his gun yet and bought 100 rounds of ammo. I told him to buy as much as he can afford.

Back
Top Bottom