• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of changing my wood Yugo SKS stock for a Tapco one. Thoughts?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I have a Yugo SKS that I spent a lot of time re-doing the stock many years ago. I liked the way it came out, but I rarely shoot it and am thinking of trying something different with it.

As I was walking around the Concord gun show I was looking at a Tapco replacement stock for the SKS. It's basically this one.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS070-1.html#Reviews

It looks like it will give the SKS a new and exciting look. Maybe will take it to the range more. Of course I'll keep original stock. I spent way to much time reworking it to junk it. Just want to try something new.

Oh and yes, I know it has a collapsable stock. I'll permanently pin that once I figure out the best position for me. I'll also keep it at a friends house in NH until I get it pinned out, just in case. [rolleyes] Don't want any trolling LE to think I'm trying to break the law.

So what do you think? Worth the money or waste of time?

I hear they're one of the best aftermarket stocks out there. Plus they allow keeping the bayonet on the rifle. If you ever move to a free state, you can always add a Tapco mag too.

http://www.sksboards.com

Check out the Yugo section and the SKS pictures section for more info. There is a thread in the pictures section thats about 20+ pages long called Bubba/Tacticals that has some nice work done by people.

If you ever move to a free state, you can always add a Tapco mag too

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I will admit I am biased and it's basically a result two incidents. On two separate occasions, I've seen guys at the range with that same model of plastic stock and both times they were constantly coming loose and literally falling apart between rounds. I mean the screws were a disaster and all of the sudden the action would be in their hands and the rifle stock hanging below.

So hey, that's just what I've seen. I do not own and SKS yet so I can't speak to the comfort etc...I guess some guys really like them because they seem to sell a lot of them. Plus, it could be that these two maroons didn't understand the concept of tightened screws, or Locktite.

That is one fugly looking stock! [shocked]

Hey... you asked [smile]

The SKS isn't covered under the MA AWB, so you don't need to pin it unless it's set-up for 30 round mags.

The Tapco mags are the only ones I hear work.

As for problems with the stocks, I haven't heard or read anything bad about them. A friend of mine in Texas put one on his Yugo a while ago because he wanted it for a cheap SHTF rifle and he loves it. His gunsmithing skills are next to zero.

Myself I put a Choate stock on a Norinco because the bayonet lug was already ground off the rifle so I figured since it will never be right, it'd be a good project rifle. Its very solid and shoots better with the new stock. My groups even tightened up.

SKSproject.jpg

I've got a Choate scope mount for it and a nice small scope but I've still been too lazy to drill and tap the receiver.

I have a Yugo SKS that I spent a lot of time re-doing the stock many years ago. I liked the way it came out, but I rarely shoot it and am thinking of trying something different with it.

As I was walking around the Concord gun show I was looking at a Tapco replacement stock for the SKS. It's basically this one.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS070-1.html#Reviews

It looks like it will give the SKS a new and exciting look. Maybe will take it to the range more. Of course I'll keep original stock. I spent way to much time reworking it to junk it. Just want to try something new.

Oh and yes, I know it has a collapsable stock. I'll permanently pin that once I figure out the best position for me. I'll also keep it at a friends house in NH until I get it pinned out, just in case. [rolleyes] Don't want any trolling LE to think I'm trying to break the law.

So what do you think? Worth the money or waste of time?

So long as you don't put a removable magazine, you don't need to pin the thing. I have it (half way down page http://www.tickbitesupply.com/sks.html) and it does not fall apart, etc and is pretty rock solid. On the same page is a replacement gas tube (get the right one for the yugos) and I would highly recommend getting it instead of trying to swap the wood one off. It also facilitates swapping the stocks much faster.

One thing I would caution and I am not sure of the answer, is the legality of it, not at the state/MA level, but at the fed level. There are some weird rules with regards imports and US made parts. And these apply to things without removable mags from what I remember. I actually reinstalled the wood on mine just in case since I have ATF at my club on a regular basis. Hopefully someone here can fill in the details though.

IMHO do not do it. I just spent the morning returning an SKS back to original configuration. They are great as is. If you want a different rifle just buy it.

If you are changing the stock to make it more like an AR the money is better put towards an AR.

If you have not taken it to the range in a while, take it to the range. I was recently ready to sell my SKS then a range trip changed all that.

I had a Tapco T-6 on mine for a while. I found a little fitting was needed to get the stock on. Nothing big. I liked the adjustability of the stock as well. The stock rattles a little as the tollerance on the collapsable part is not great, but not bad either. Overall I found it to be worth the $. In the long run I removed all the bubba stuff and went back to stock and refinished the stock. The only things I kept of the bubba conversion were the Rick Miller brake (worth every penny) and the recoil buffer.

As stated in the end it is up to you. Either way you should be happy. Should you go with the Tapco you can always get a chunk of $ back selling it on GB or other auction site.

Good Luck

I have a couple of ARs, so it's not that. The guy selling them had a few SKSes that were in these stocks and it seemed like it was a really good fit. I was thinking of getting it then but passed. Now I'm still thinking of it and figure it would be a good project to do. If it shoots better then great. If not, I'll sell it. Either way I have to do some kind of a trigger job on it as the trigger really sucks, which is why I don't shoot it all that often.

If you are changing the stock to make it more like an AR the money is better put towards an AR.

If you have not taken it to the range in a while, take it to the range. I was recently ready to sell my SKS then a range trip changed all that.

I had a Tapco T-6 on mine for a while. I found a little fitting was needed to get the stock on. Nothing big. I liked the adjustability of the stock as well. The stock rattles a little as the tollerance on the collapsable part is not great, but not bad either. Overall I found it to be worth the $. In the long run I removed all the bubba stuff and went back to stock and refinished the stock. The only things I kept of the bubba conversion were the Rick Miller brake (worth every penny) and the recoil buffer.

As stated in the end it is up to you. Either way you should be happy. Should you go with the Tapco you can always get a chunk of $ back selling it on GB or other auction site.

Good Luck

I have toyed around with the idea of dressing up my SKS as well. Post pics if you decide to give it an overhaul!

Wayne... check out the link in my first reply to this thread. There is a gallery section on the SKS boards and accessories section that gives reviews on products such as aftermarket stocks.

Some good info there from folks that know how to trick out an SKS.

Thanks, I did look in there. A lot of cool setups. From the sounds of it I am in the same boat as Rockrivr1 that I cant decide if I like the original wood look or tricked out!

Back
Top Bottom