• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The wimpafication of Americas College youth

stinx

NES Member
Last week my Dept sent me to a local community college for a computer class. The College recieved Federal Grant money to Offer various computer classes to Police Officers. I showed up in plain clothes with my weapon concealed, but one Officer from another Town showed up in uniform wearing his weapon etc.

During lunch we all went to the cafeteria at this time I over heard a young 19-20 year old girl talking among her friends " The conversation was about "the police Officer from another town; Ie not the college, wearing his weapon in the School I actually heard the girl say it "This is a gun free zone , he should not be wearing it, Even security doesnt have guns" With that I looked right at her and replied " How secure could you be if security is unarmed? With that I got a blank stare and then the response" well yeah I guess. If these kids are the future weve got problems.

Last edited:
Given that these lovely coeds have been raised for the last 20 years or so by people who keeping electing Kennedys, what would you expect?

Last week my Dept sent me to a local community college for a computer class. The College recieved Federal Grant money to Offer various computer classes to Police Officers. I showed up in plain clothes with my weapon concealed, but one Officer from another Town showed up in uniform wearing his weapon etc.

During lunch we all went to the cafeteria at this time I over heard a young 19-20 year old girl talking among her friends " The conversation was about "the police Officer from another town; Ie not the college, wearing his weapon in the School I actually heard the girl say it "This is a gun free zone , he should not be wearing it, Even security doesnt have guns" With that I looked right at her and replied " How secure could you be if security is unarmed? With that I got a blank stare and then the response" well yeah I guess. If these kids are the future weve got problems.

While I agree with you, I think poor spelling and grammar is almost as big a threat.

With that I got a blank stare and then the response, "well, yeah, I guess."

Typical response from someone who hasn't given the issue a fraction of a second of a thought, but simply regurgitates the knee-jerk emotional outrage that her favorite talking head supplied her with.

You should have said "I know! What makes him so special? We should ALL have guns."

When your existence is handed to you, you have no appreciation of what you enjoy.

Chances are:

They never had to do more than open a cabinet or refrigerator to eat. Even in college, Room and Board covers the basics and likely "spending money" covers the pizza and other snacks. And most likely they gripe that it isn't enough.

They have never had any more serious threat on their person other than possibly a bully in school. They take their own safety with no regard at all because it has never been compromised.

They read about societies where every day is a struggle for life, but never bother to actually consider what that truly means. Not once do they contemplate the loss of their own bubble of safety.

They are taught about wars past, but the killing is no more meaningful than losing a life in a video game. Not once are they made to face the human horror that is war.

They have no 'memory' and the world of today is the world always. A major disruption in their life is when a favorite store at the mall closes. The very thought of society falling to chaos and needing a 'backup' plan is about as realistic as a jolly elf delivering them gifts.

The sad thing is that very very few grow up to look at life any differently. The government helped me with my loans, they will help me find a job, and if there is a problem, they will help me solve it. Why not? Authority has always been there to help. In just what way have they been presented with any alternative?

Since the depression and WWII, families have worked hard to ensure that their children did not have to 'suffer' as they did. For the most part they have succeeded. Perhaps too well. Sure, there have been moments of suffering, but its been fairly limited.

Students are still taught the checks and balances of the federal government, but not the fact that it is failing miserably today. They are taught that anyone can be president, but not that you have to sell your soul to one of only two organizations who have ensured that they keep the power by making it nearly impossible for anyone else to get a fair shake.

Guns? You would be hard pressed to find a single person on today's college campuses (and this INCLUDES the instructors) who would tell you that the Second Amendment was put there to ensure that the citizens could exercise their ultimate voting power and remove an oppressive government.

It is by no accident that control over education is slipping from local control. Afterall, you can't rule over the minions until the minions can't fight back. Or, in the case of our current education, not realize that they could fight back.

If these kids are the future weve got problems.

You are correct, we do have problems! We have a generation of kids that grew up taking prozac and Ridalyn because their active minds and bodies were too much for their parents and teachers to handle!

College Kids

These kids are clueless. You should have seen the looks I got when I went to see my daughter at Clark U. in Worcester in my BDU`s. Kids in her dorm would get out of my way when I walked down the hall thou.
Remember the dipshit student at Worcester State that was bitching about the proposal to arm the Campus Cops. I argument was that guns made her nervous. WOW! imagine how nervous she would be if the bad guys had the guns and the cops didn`t. DUH!

Prosperity has ruined at least 2 generations since the War in Vietnam ended. We are on the path to suicide as a nation. Just wait for the next Presidential election!

Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. -John Adams, April 15, 1814

That's one of the main reasons I bailed out of college teaching. When I started out, more than half my students had spent a few years in the real world before deciding to go to college: a lot of "housewives" whose kids were no old enough to be in school all day, guys who'd spent a few years doing various jobs for Uncle, older people who were now retired. Not only did they have a vital core of actual knowledge in their heads, but they were there because they actually wanted to learn something. It's a whole different ball game from when Mommy and Daddy are paying your tab. I admit it; I was spoiled.

Ken

I'm not sure I agree..

On one hand, kids these days do seem a lot "whimpier" than previous generations. But most of the time when I tell other kids that I shoot competitively and for fun, they are actually pretty inquisitive, and some even ask if I could ever take them with me.

To be perfectly honest, some of it's from video games. Kids shoot guns all day long on the computer or whatever, but they never get to do the real thing. I'd put money that if someone started up a nice big gun range that offered classes to juniors in Metro-West, and got word out, they'd fill up. A lot of kids want to shoot, and want to get involved with firearms. Unfortunately, their parents are either gun-grabbers or don't want to make the half-hour to hour drive every week.

I'd put money that if someone started up a nice big gun range that offered classes to juniors in Metro-West, and got word out, they'd fill up. A lot of kids want to shoot, and want to get involved with firearms. Unfortunately, their parents are either gun-grabbers or don't want to make the half-hour to hour drive every week.

Riverside Gun Club in Hudson has a junior rifle team.

But how much exposure does it have? I guess that's what I was really trying to get to, that the gun community here has NO exposure. That's mostly due, in my opinion, to the anti-gun politics here, but still..

Besides, Hudson is just inside 495. Still a decent drive away. Most parents are barely willing to let their kids around firearms, much less drive outside their general vicinity.

We've had queries for a junior program at our club. Unfortunately, our indoor facility is limited to 2 lanes with a distance of about 45'. The bigger issue is simply coming up with the volunteers to run a junior program. We can't get folks to come to our monthly meetings, let alone run a junior program.

I believe Maynard Rod & Gun Club has a junior program.

Don't worry, in a few years, when they earn a paycheck and have a mortgage, they will gain some Responsibility and "See the light".

I think that straightened me out at least...

My best friend's sister is a perfect example. She loved Dems and never heard of a give away program she didn't like until she graduated and started earning a paycheck. The look on his face when she was freaking out at how much of HER MONEY they took out of her check was priceless.

My best friend's sister is a perfect example. She loved Dems and never heard of a give away program she didn't like until she graduated and started earning a paycheck. The look on his face when she was freaking out at how much of HER MONEY they took out of her check was priceless.

My son learned this lesson at 14. His first job and he was making $11.00/hour. He figured he'd make a fortune. Until he got his first pay stub. Once I explained to him what all the deductions were for, a conservative was born.

It was beautiful and brought a tear to my eye.

Now that my daughter is out of college and working full time, I expect a similar epiphany.

Gary

There's a joke about that. Not going to bother to repost it, but I hope that you said something at that point.

He handled it very well. She is beginning to see the light. She is having a hard time not agreeing with emotionally charged calls for useless spending, but a well timed, "Fine you pay for it", goes a long way. Apparently she thinks she pays high enough taxes already.

This is the same girl that after the '04 election responded to being the only one, out 15 people, that voted for Kerry with a "I can't believe you're all that stupid". 13 of the 15 had degrees or doctorates, but we were all stupid for not voting for Kerry.

I can't count how many times her brother and I have been lectured about our guns. We get all the Brady talking points and nothing to back them up. "You're gonna shoot yourself, only the police need guns, it will only be used against you, blah blah blah". I hope she doesn't learn that lesson the hard way.

She is beginning to see the light. She is having a hard time not agreeing with emotionally charged calls for useless spending, but a well timed, "Fine you pay for it", goes a long way.
She's learning... [grin]
I can't count how many times her brother and I have been lectured about our guns.
Heh. I just got it once, from my sister... about how I was "opening [my]self up to the path of violence" by owning guns. 26 years later and I've taught her son and daughter to shoot. [devil2]

Why not offer to take her shooting? Not in a snarky way, but just "Hey, would you like to try shooting?" Who knows, she might just become a convert.
Robert Heinlein said:
Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend.

We've had queries for a junior program at our club. Unfortunately, our indoor facility is limited to 2 lanes with a distance of about 45'. The bigger issue is simply coming up with the volunteers to run a junior program. We can't get folks to come to our monthly meetings, let alone run a junior program.

I believe Maynard Rod & Gun Club has a junior program.

I'm interested in helping out with this, but there is NO indoor range, and I'm not really sure how to go about the whole thing. The club isn't really into it, but I would love to work on this now, so my kids have something when they get a little older. Any ideas?

Don't know what club you belong to, but the first step is to start talking about it to the members. I know that Mansfield F&G is trying to get an indoor range built, so that would be the first obvious step. Going to take some time, but if you're going to stay put for a few years, it seems like it would be worth it to try.

See who else you can get at your club on board with this - an indoor range would not only benefit you (and your kids), but everyone who wants to shoot pistol in ugly weather. Float the idea by some of your friends at the club, bring it up to the board members. Just like any great or important undertaking, it will take time, so start now.

I'm interested in helping out with this, but there is NO indoor range, and I'm not really sure how to go about the whole thing. The club isn't really into it, but I would love to work on this now, so my kids have something when they get a little older. Any ideas?

Dunno if you can do this sort of thing outdoors...

I think the best way to start would be to contact the folks who run a junior rifle program at another club and ask them. Since we know that Riverside has a successful program, ask Chris to set up a meet with some of the folks in charge of it so that you can pick their brains. Note, you will need at least one NRA certified rifle instructor and/or an NRA certified coach.

Every Friday Night from clock change in the fall to clock change in the spring is Riverside's schedule.

Feel free to drop by and see how we do it. You'll find a few 'instructors' but most of the work is handled by the parents. Kids have a great time. We run the standard 50' NRA Marksmanship (forget the exact name) where each shooter has to achieve X number of targets scored Y or better to move up. Kids compete against themselves. Enough of the people involved have some ability to coach, and new kids are paired up with better shooters. Since we only have 8 lanes, its not hard to have someone assigned to help each kid.

As for a facility, no reason you can't use an outdoor range during warmer weather. The range I used in NH was outdoors with a covered line. We shot no matter what weather it was. Backstop was a simple earth filled 'form' (like you'd use to pour a concrete wall) with a replaceable section just behind the targets. Was for .22LR ONLY.

It does go in cycles. I remember years ago that we were lucky to have 8 kids show up on a given night. Now, we have more than 30 in the program and get maybe 15-20 any given night. There is a fee for each night (like $3) to cover targets, ammo, and the awards earned. Club throws a banquet at the end of each season to hand out the awards.

When I was growing up, your "Award" for reaching Sharpshooter was a jacket. Then as you progressed through the bars, you got a new rocker sewn on. Ultimately, when you got your expert it was a pin. My jacket is long gone, but I still have my pin.

The nice thing is that you can define your own program and how you want to reward your young shooters.

Back
Top Bottom