The wife and applying for an LTC

PaulR

NES Member
We live in a green town.
Years ago there was an imminent change in Chiefs so I started to pressure the wife to get the LTC.
New Chief now for a few years, still green as far as we know, nice guy, we know him fairly well.
Fast forward to now I've still been pecking at the wife to get her LTC, she already has her certificate, she just has a little "white coat" fear sitting down with the Chief for whatever reason.
So now some of you will laugh, that's alright (I gots big britches), because I know probably half of you have wives that don't even want permits.
She wants me to go in and with her and sit with her "to make sure she doesn't answer any questions wrong"
So, is this wierd?
Is this normal?
Any of you guys ever do this with your wives?
Any LEO out there know if this is routine?

Thanks in advance.

:paul:

It's just a friendly chat...it is not an interrogation. Just have her be herself. Polite, mature, and self confident. Will be no problem.

I went in with my wife, but not because she asked me to. We just went together. I wasn't doing anything important and figured I would go in to bs with the licensing officer. No questions asked really. A couple that sounded like he was fishing, but not really pushing.

My Wife has never gone in for that interview without my presence.

Basic reason is that I didn't trust the chief! He did start asking questions like: how many of what type of guns do you have, where are they stored, are you a member of a gun club (she wasn't at the time but went as my guest regularly), how often do you carry, etc. Each time I just shut the chief down with not required by law, not giving that info and she went as a guest to shoot (now she's a member of both clubs that I belong to as well). She's good but like most here would have been subject to intimidation. I don't put up with that crap and would have had no qualms about stopping at the Town Manager's office on the way out of there to file a complaint if the chief didn't back down (and he knew it)!

The other excuse is that the interviews are always on a workday morning, so I'd drop my Wife off at whatever commuter rail station (although it requires some driving, there are 3 commuter rail lines available to us) would get her to work the earliest. I do the same when she has a dentist or doctor appointment.

I told mine, NO, when she asked that same thing. Told to go and be herself, worked out and she was amazed at how easy it was.

Before she went, I explained how ridiculous it would look to the officer if she was applying for a license to carry a concealed weapon, and all of the responsibility that comes with that, but she needed her hand held to meet with a police officer.......

We live in a green town.
Years ago there was an imminent change in Chiefs so I started to pressure the wife to get the LTC.
New Chief now for a few years, still green as far as we know, nice guy, we know him fairly well.
Fast forward to now I've still been pecking at the wife to get her LTC, she already has her certificate, she just has a little "white coat" fear sitting down with the Chief for whatever reason.
So now some of you will laugh, that's alright (I gots big britches), because I know probably half of you have wives that don't even want permits.
She wants me to go in and with her and sit with her "to make sure she doesn't answer any questions wrong"
So, is this wierd?
Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

she wants some moral support. What's weird about that? I'd happily go with my wife if I could even get her to get her LTC.

Maybe she's a little intimidated by cops? Lots of people are. I'd just go with her, I don't see what the big deal is.

I know mine will ask me to go when the time comes so interested in seeing more responses. Honestly, it was more of a chit chat and me asking him questions... far from an interview IMO.

Basic reason is that I didn't trust the chief! He did start asking questions like: how many of what type of guns do you have, where are they stored, are you a member of a gun club (she wasn't at the time but went as my guest regularly), how often do you carry, etc. Each time I just shut the chief down with not required by law, not giving that info and she went as a guest to shoot (now she's a member of both clubs that I belong to as well). She's good but like most here would have been subject to intimidation. I don't put up with that crap and would have had no qualms about stopping at the Town Manager's office on the way out of there to file a complaint if the chief didn't back down (and he knew it)!

The other excuse is that the interviews are always on a workday morning, so I'd drop my Wife off at whatever commuter rail station (although it requires some driving, there are 3 commuter rail lines available to us) would get her to work the earliest. I do the same when she has a dentist or doctor appointment.

I told mine, NO, when she asked that same thing. Told to go and be herself, worked out and she was amazed at how easy it was.

Before she went, I explained how ridiculous it would look to the officer if she was applying for a license to carry a concealed weapon, and all of the responsibility that comes with that, but she needed her hand held to meet with a police officer.......

I do trust the Chief/Licensing Officer, I think it's more of (I guess I should coach her) she may something like "well I really don't want to carry that often, if at all" and the Chief will give her whatever Class B range license. Granted I talked her into this finally more for legal purposes if something should happen to me she can take everything. But I'd really like for her to have the option to carry.

I do also feel it may be sort of embarrassing if I were there......will await more replies.

My wife has her "appointment" scheduled for the 18th next month. She took the class months ago but showed no interest in ever getting it.
Getting her to go to the range with me was like pulling teeth.
This past weekend I did finally get her to go. I grabbed a couple of pairs of those SSP "Top Focals" 1.5 for me , 2.0 for her.
What a difference, I'm married to Annie Oakley.
Now that she could clearly see the front sight of the SR22 I bought "for her" she is shooting nice groups at 20-25 feet at the indoor range at Massapoag.
3 days in a row now and when I left for work this morning she said "can we go again today?". I'm glad because now I can prep her on any questions
she may be asked, and she is shooting regularly so she knows how to answer gun safety questions better, she knows what she is shooting (and what I am shooting)
where "we are members" etc.
Before this weekend I was thinking I may have to go in with her, but now I'm pretty confident she'll do fine on her own.
I just need to get up to FS and get some mini mags while they've still got some LOL!
Amazing how something as small as "the right shooting glasses" can change everything. She told me she hated going because she sucked at it,
but truth was she just couldn't align her sights clearly.
These glasses have made a big difference in my shooting a swell.

Last edited:
My wife has her "appointment" scheduled for the 18th next month. She took the class months ago but showed no interest in ever getting it.
This past weekend I did finally get her to go. I grabbed a couple of pairs of those SSP "Top Focals" 1.5 for me , 2.0 for her.
Now that she could clearly see the front sight of the SR22 I bought "for her" she is shooting nice groups at 20-25 feet at the indoor range at Massapoag.
3 days in a row now and when I left for work this morning she said "can we go again today?". I'm glad because now I can prep her on any questions
she may be asked, and she is shooting regularly so she knows how to answer gun safety questions better, she knows what she is shooting (and what I am shooting)
Before this weekend I was thinking I may have to go in with her, but now I'm pretty confident she'll do fine on her own.
I just need to get up to FS and get some mini mags while they've still got some LOL!
Amazing how something as small as "the right shooting glasses" can change everything. She told me she hated going because she sucked at it,

SSP Top focals. Dammit! you just cost me $35. [smile] [banghead]

Yet another reason to go and see Idoktr.

To the OP: If your wife wants you along, go along....the end justifies the means. In my green town, there was a licensing officer(not the chief), he spent more time shooting the breeze and joking about how awful my LTC picture was because of their camera than anything else.

I went with my wife too. It wasn't intentional but she didn't know where to go and the licensing officer ended up inviting me to go in with her. Now if I only could get her to the range more often.

I would say this is really a no-brainer. Wife wants you to go, you go. Worst case, the PD doesn't let you come back with her. Either way, wife is happy you made an effort on her part.

I went with my wife in a very green town. You don't see the Chief, you speak with his delegate. All really good guys just the same.

When we went downstairs for her prints to be done and the cell was open so I went in complaining about the cement bed. I was told it was not a motel room. LOL

I would go with her if she wants you to. She's your wife. It sounds like this is something she is willing to do, but reluctant about. Treat it like anything else and support her.

The very fact that she is nervous about having to talk to cops is a good indication that she should receive her license with no problems. It's the ones who are completely used to being grilled in a small room that might run into some issues! [rofl]

I would say this is really a no-brainer. Wife wants you to go, you go. Worst case, the PD doesn't let you come back with her. Either way, wife is happy you made an effort on her part.

This is the reasonable response that any smart man would go with. However, I am not a smart man and this would end up being a fight with my significant other.

We live in a green town.
So, is this wierd?
Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

I know my wife stipulated that if she was going to take a class, she didn't want to go by herself. (Either with a friend or I would have to go) Haven't crossed the going for the interview bridge yet, though she has gone to an interview for it in Ohio by herself (after taking the class with her mother) so likely not something that will be a horrible sticking point, but who know.

I read that and thought to myself "That's a good point, Len should accompany my wife to her interview". Was that the point you were trying to convey?

I read that and thought to myself "That's a good point, Len should accompany my wife to her interview". Was that the point you were trying to convey?

If someone was a good friend and asked me to go with him/her, I would go.

I know of one very good friend that if she was ever to decide to get a LTC, I would definitely volunteer to go with her. However, she's made it clear to me that it will never happen for a few reasons (she has eye problems and no longer talks with her Father - who owns some guns). She recently told me that when her Father passes on she'll have nothing to do with his guns or anything else. I have no idea what happened as some years ago her Father joined us for dinner and a movie in Cambridge and all was well back then.

licensing officer INVITED me to sit in for the mrs boscru's interview. she got unrestricted first time. i got t & h first time, but he had already lifted my restriction before she went in.

might have been due to her masters degree in ministry .[grin]

My wife and I went to a police dep together. She got t&h, I got unrestricted. Probably because she was not really keen on getting an unrestricted one anyways.

[laugh2]

The Mrs. just got her permit, -A-no restrictions, took just 4 weeks to process. We did go to the Station together-had a 'date' after , the Capt first asked the wife is she would like me to sit in, when she said yes he asked me if I would like to also come in-first class all the way (western MA).

My wife and I went to a police dep together. ...

^This. The Bride and I did everything in lockstep: class, filing, fingerprinting, picking up cards, interviewing with the local club, ... She wanted to be licensed if there were gonna be guns in the house, and it made no sense for one of us to be a "trailblazer" and go through the process first.

I don't recall the town doing an "interview" - just whatever the various officers can glean from conversation during the process, I guess.

Same lockstep happened with applying for NH non-res P&RL. When my NH non-res arrived in the mail and hers wasn't in the same envelope, I panicked and called Concord. The nice lady didn't tell me I'd married an axe murderer or anything like that. She said it was just that The Bride's card came back smudged from the printers, so they submitted another print request. Her card arrived scant days later...

... She got t&h, I got unrestricted. Probably because she was not really keen on getting an unrestricted one anyways.

^Not this.

I told The Bride we both needed to Go for the Gold, so that regardless of her druthers, she could legally own and do anything I could own and do. When I got to the "Purpose?" (sic) question on the Mass. forms, I remembered there was a magic incantation, and searched the Intarwebs until I found it ("all lawful purposes"); probably on NES.

True Confessions: our past two chiefs have been Green anyhow. (E.g., they were uninterested in FID or LTC-B applications from adults: if you're suitable enough to own guns'n'ammo, you're suitable enough for an LTC-A/ALP; and if you're not suitable enough for an LTC-A/ALP, you're not even suitable for an FID).

We also absolutely positively both always have all our cards with us 24x7. That way either of us can take possession of a gun after a traffic accident or hospital admission; and we know we can always buy twice as much scarce ammo at stores with box limits.

I do trust the Chief/Licensing Officer, I think it's more of (I guess I should coach her) she may something like "well I really don't want to carry that often, if at all" and the Chief will give her whatever Class B range license. Granted I talked her into this finally more for legal purposes if something should happen to me she can take everything. But I'd really like for her to have the option to carry.

I do also feel it may be sort of embarrassing if I were there......will await more replies.

Didn't they do away with LTC classes?

Had not thought of going with my wife. I might now.

We went to attorney Guida and had him prepare a package for her answering all the questions etc.

She just needs the appointment with the PD.

Back
Top Bottom