The wager

Was the ricochet a valid hit and does my wife take my weeks lunch money

• Total voters
You should pay her because

#1. $20 of the $40 is hers anyway (and i'm being kind because it's probably all hers)
#2 If you start trying to beat your wife on technicalities you're fighting a losing battle. ie) technically she doesn't have a headache but you won't know that
#3 Also relating to #2 - if you don't give her the $40 she may not be able to take care of her clothes and her zippers may become permanently stuck

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea

The hit was questionable, but it was also a .380

Don't give her the $40....use it to take her out to dinner.
yeah, we aren't talking about a 100 yard hit with a scoped rifle here... "Holy !@#$" counts as a win... Good sportsmanship dictates you concede and learn from your mistakes not to !@#$ with Mr. Murphy...

The bet was whether she could hit the target with a shot from her .380 pistol. She hit the target with a shot from her .380 pistol.

You didn't establish the criteria of "a hit" before hand and have started a disagrement with your wife over $40. Pay up, consider it cheap points with the wife that you'd conceed the shot to her and pay off the bet.

If it was a shooting buddy, might be a whole different ball game.

Gonna say no. When your betting, you have to call the shot...just like in pool.

Now this is your wife, so if there is some strategic advantage to having her win (probably guaranteed) it'll be the shortest $40 you've ever paid out.

Cudos for going out...awesome range day. I love shooting in the rain.

Rule #1 a happy wife leads to a happy life..............

is $40 worth the misery??????

what's worth more $40 for lunch or a week sleeping on the couch!

I say it was technically a hit, so give in and pony up the cash!

All this thread does is make me realize that if I bet someone on NES that they can't hit a target I need to make sure that I specify that if they bounce it off the ground, hit a plane that falls from the sky and hits the target, or knock a tree down that makes the steel target go "ding" that it doesn't count. Wait, if you hit a hibernating bear who wakes up and bites the target, that doesn't count either... [rolleyes]

We saw a plastic cactus target at the show today. Want to go shooting?

I was serious. Plastic cactus at 500 yards?

To Derek's point about specific rules, etc.:

If you were in a rifle match, and you knew your tenth shot was a flyer, but the guy next to you had shot the wrong target (yours) and put it in the x-ring, would you "protest" (I'm not sure what the procedure would be) and have that hole not counted?

When you write the rules, you either have to be specific; have a strong and well-understood history of custom to back up any occurance not addressed in the rues; or defalt to the broadest interpretation of the rules in case of a question. You have case 3 here.

For example- Trapezoids are a querulous bunch....so there are rules to cover damn near every eventuality. IF you have a squib, and the wad is still in the barre, it's a misfire; if the wad lands on the ground in front of the line, it's a lost bird. Both lacked sufficient oomph to throw the shot effectively, but there's a rule to cover it.

If it were an NES shoot, where a ricochet hit the target, I think that a Council of Elders woudl meet, and decide based on precedent (and style points) whether it counted.

Finally, the two most important words in a married guy's lfe: "Yes, dear."

That should settle the discussion, once and for all! [laugh]

It was a direct hit. What you saw as a disturbance in front of the target was splatter from the hit. Pay up.

This. Was it clearly a ricochet? I'm not sure I'd be able to identify a 380 skip at 100 yds with the naked eye. I assume it was one of those gopher poppers on the ground? This is like the NFL instant replay rule. The target was hit but if you have a preponderance of evidence to prove otherwise you reverse the decision but most of the time it's a shoulder shrug and the hit stands.

So she knows it is a valid hit and wants her $40.
there fixed it for you!!!!

I was "THE" witness pay her the money

the bullet hit the target not splatter or a rock

She wants to borrow my 357 and some of my ammo
I suggest hurrying

Last edited:
WOW...Really???

And I thought NES would have my back on this one. I guess I have to admit defeat on this one.
Yes Honey, you were right, it was a hit.

Not happy about this

WOW...Really???

And I thought NES would have my back on this one. I guess I have to admit defeat on this one.
Yes Honey, you were right, it was a hit.

Not happy about this
damn missed this the first time around, over something like this she is always right, give her the $40 and have her take you out for a steak and maybe.... oh never mind your married she doesn't do that part any more

Back
Top Bottom