• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The virus is spreading...

I know, 109 mayors out of the thousands is barely a blip on the radar, but after the recent school shootings and the very real likelihood of Dem control (or comfortable margin), of one or both chambers of Congress, is not going to be very good news for gun owners.

Add in the possibility of a Patrick/Coakley win here, and we're severely screwed...

MAYOR BLOOMBERG AND BOSTON MAYOR MENINO ANNOUNCE EXPANSION OF MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS COALITION TO MORE THAN 100 MAYORS NATIONWIDE

109 Mayors from 44 States Across the Country Are Now Represented in the Coalition

Next Mayors' Summit on Illegal Guns Will Take Place in January 2007 in Washington, DC

Bi-Partisan Coalition Launches Website to Serve as Information Sharing Resource on Illegal Gun Initiatives Across the Nation

Atlanta, Boston, and Chicago Set to Host Regional Working Groups This Fall to Share Best Practices

Six months after hosting a landmark summit of mayors united against the plague of illegal guns, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino today announced the expansion of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns to 109 mayors in 44 states across the country and announced that the next summit would take place in January 2007 in Washington, DC. The mayors represent every region of the United States and include Republicans, Democrats and Independents. The expansion of the coalition builds upon the original group of 15 mayors who convened in April for the first Mayors' Summit on Illegal Guns. Mayor Bloomberg and Mayor Menino today also announced the launch of the Coalition's website, www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org, fulfilling a pledge from the first Summit to create an information sharing resource. The website provides a range of information on the illegal gun issue, including best practices and innovative state and federal legislative efforts. In addition, this fall the Mayors of Atlanta, Boston and Chicago will be the first to host regional working groups designed to encourage a dialogue among regional senior city officials and improve inter-city coordination in the fight against illegal guns. Mayors Bloomberg and Menino were joined today by Yonkers Mayor Philip Amicone and Providence Mayor David Cicilline for the announcement at Boston's City Hall.

"More than 100 mayors across our country have stood up to say, enough is enough - illegal guns don't belong on our streets," said Mayor Bloomberg. "These mayors recognize that public safety is not a partisan issue. Illegal guns know no borders and are not confined to one city, one state or one region. Our coalition is about increasing public safety and ensuring that we keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Mayors know all too well the damage and heartache caused by illegal guns. Together, we're taking another step forward in our efforts to create a united stand against this plague on our streets. Illegal guns have nothing to do with the Second Amendment. This isn't about ideology - it's about law enforcement. When Washington makes bad decisions to protect criminals rather than the public, our cities bear the tragic consequences. Together we're sending a message to our national leaders that we will not be silent on this issue."

"Last April, 13 other mayors joined Mayor Bloomberg and myself in New York with a shared purpose - to come together to take illegal guns off the street," said Mayor Menino. "Today, we have more than 100 mayors who are united in their commitment to protect their cities from the violence and sorrow that illegal guns cause. We need to stand together and not allow the federal government to continue to gut the essential programs that cities need to keep their residents safe and make it clear that we will not allow our streets to turn into war zones."

Each of the 109 mayors has signed the Statement of Principles which was created during the April Summit. The Statement of Principles outlines a commitment to increase enforcement of gun laws; increase penalties for criminals who possess, use, and traffic in illegal guns; oppose federal efforts to restrict cities' right to access, use, and share trace data; develop technologies that aid in the detection and tracing of illegal guns; support local, state, and federal legislation that targets illegal guns; share information and best practices to coordinate legislative, enforcement, and litigation strategies; and continue to expand the effort to other cities across the country.

Rofl I like the rhetoric they use.

Like mainly, WTF is an "illegal gun" ? [rolleyes]

Last I knew, in 75% of the country, almost all Title I firearrms are
"legal" in most localities. I guess a gun might be "illegal" if someone
filed the serial number off it or something... but hell, in many cases its
the ACT of serial defacement that is illegal, not the guns presence as
such.

-Mike

Take them VERY seriously! They are establishing relationships and laying the groundworkd for future success. They must not be taken lightly.

Take them VERY seriously! They are establishing relationships and laying the groundworkd for future success. They must not be taken lightly.

The really disturbing thing, at least from the court of boob-berg, is
this whole series of lawsuits launched against gun dealers trying to make
them culpable for crime guns and the like. I thought S397 was supposed
to protect people from that... but I guess it only protects MANUFACTURERS, so
a whole lot of good that POS accomplished. If these liberal cretins
keep gettin away with these kinds of lawsuits, they'll drive the cost of the
guns up, and drive local dealers out of business.

Frankly though, what are we going to do? How are we going to dethrone
these people? I wish the ATF would grow a pair and arrest bloomberg
for interfereing with their investigations, and let him see the inside of
club fed for a little while. (The little "private sting" boobberg was
running has interfered with the BATFEs own sting operations. ) Perhaps
this is a topic to write about, to send to the US AG's office, the president
and the like, or to send to congresscritters that have oversight of such
issues.

Back
Top Bottom