The Season of Small Turnouts?

I don't see it.

Most of the regular shooters I know buy in bulk and reload. They tend to have enough supplies on hand to sustain themselves through a temporary market condition like this one (if not much longer). Of course, the talk at the range is always about how everyone's favorite suppliers are backlogged and how long it's taking to fulfill orders, but an 8-10 week backlog isn't going to slow these guys. These guys have an established supply line and are preferred customers, they won't have problems continuing to get supplies.

Our bimonthly IDPA practices are always full (25+ guys) and we always have a few new faces join us. I thought we had a great turnout for our first match of the year, with another coming up in a couple weeks. Of course, it's still early in the season to really tell.

I suspect the issue will not be the competitive shooters, but rather the casual shooters who buy their ammo one range trip at a time, or the new shooters who may become discouraged and quit because they can't find ammo easily.

..and GIShooter claims he doesn't practice. Imagine if he did...

Good catch there Craig... I didn't miss it either. Biggest lie a friend has ever pulled off. I should have know.

- - - Updated - - -

I am just going to shoot Lugnut's ammo for the season.

I have some specially made ammo for you! I just can't recall when the powder drop kept sticking on your batch. ;)

By the way- if you want to shoot- there are components to be found. It's just harder these days.

I should be fine this year.
I have plenty for High Power.
IDPA, I may have to change from 147 gr. to 115 for a while.
I could also start loading 45 if my dies ever show up and change division.

As someone who recently tried IDPA on a whim, and really enjoyed it, this is definitely affecting me! I've been going over the match schedule and looking at all the matches I'd like to shoot and which ones coincide with the high power matches that I also like to shoot. Thankfully, there are only six that conflict, but that leaves about a dozen IDPA matches and 18 HP matches! I currently only have about 450 rounds of my pistol ammo and about 800 of my rifle match ammo, neither of which will get me through a whole season! I recently started to reload for the rifle and am now considering getting materials for 9mm, but I cannot find even the components, so I really hope this drought ends so I'll be able to fuel my passion, otherwise, I'm out in the cold during the hot summer months!

Last shoot in the state match attendance was 1/3 of normal. Im slowing down to one match a month, as someone else said i can shoot but im worried about running out towards the end of the summer and then not being able to replace it.

My new holster just arrived for my new 1911 pro 45.
I will classify with both on 5/4
spread the ammo to different guns.
Any advise on mag pouches for single stack?

1911 Single Mag Carrier | KYTEX Shooting Gear

These are nice, quality pouches, and are a great price. I use 6 of them for USPSA SS. Although I prefer the simplicity of these, they are not adjustable like some pouches. The tension was perfect for me anyway, and I suppose you could bend them a bit to your taste. Did I mention the great $15 price tag, which is great when you want to carry 6 on your belt!

I have dealt with Talon Tactical for a long time and find Mike to be responsive and great to work with. He is a shooter, supports IDPA matches even here in MA and prices are fair.

LINK to Mag Holders

I want to try all kinds of pistol shooting this year, I just can't find when and where matches are. I can't spend all day online looking at each individual NH gun range's website (which never gets updated anyway) trying to find a match.

When I was doing Cowboy Action stuff I went to 1 site and it had a 18 month schedule with something to do just about every weekend, all at 1 site. That's the only turn off to me for IDPA/3 gun is not finding anything locally.

I want to try all kinds of pistol shooting this year, I just can't find when and where matches are. I can't spend all day online looking at each individual NH gun range's website (which never gets updated anyway) trying to find a match.

When I was doing Cowboy Action stuff I went to 1 site and it had a 18 month schedule with something to do just about every weekend, all at 1 site. That's the only turn off to me for IDPA/3 gun is not finding anything locally.

uhhh...how about this thread at the top of the forum? [thumbsup]

for USPSA you go to USPSA: Northeast Section. there's probably similar for IDPA but that's not my game so I don't know what it is.

with 12G ammo still plentiful I wish more USPSA type shotgun matches would pop up.

As KP indicated, I've had not problems finding shotgun ammo. Anything else though is luck of the draw when you're at someplace. Besides my shotguns, I've virtually stopped shooting. I guess I'm hording what I have. I see this having a big affect on the NES shoots scheduled this year as well.

+1 Shotgun. Both a USPSA-style or a Super-Duper-Tactical style would be very interesting given ammo availability.

Looking forward to the first match of the year I will be partaking in this weekend.
USPSA Autism Match at Harvard. See you guys there if you have the rounds to shoot!

Ammo is why I'm holding off on shooting. I have some, just don't want to run low...

I am low and don't want to run OUT. Bought a new gun in .45, at least I can still find some of that local and reasonable. And it came with 8 mags, so no worry with that either. What a crappy time to try taking up a new sport:/

Ammo is why I'm holding off on shooting. I have some, just don't want to run low...
Really surprised so many shooters did not see this coming and added to the ammo cabinet. When you break every record for NICS checks month after month ammo is bound to be under a great deal of pressure. Every gun sold generates a minimum of 50+ rounds at the same time of purchase. Times the number of guns sold ,add in the reelection of the most anti gun President ever and you have the ultimate recipe for a shortage of everything gun related products. Then guys like me bought three years worth of primers and powder adds to the shortage. Other shooting buddies bought 160,000 primers at one time. Then spread this whole thing across the USA and you wonder when it will or ever will get back to normal.

Check out the "pistol competition" link the other guys mentioned.

For NH specifically, there is Pioneer, SIG, and Pemi.

Pioneer Sportsmen, Inc. - also has steel challenge, not sure of dates
Pioneer IDPA:Matches will be held on:
May 18th
June 15th
July 20th - Classifier
August 24th
September 21st
October 18-19th - State Match, match staff shoot on the 18th

SIG: Special Events

Pemi - http://www.pemi.org/
April 14th Sunday 3 Gun or Pistol
May 26th Sunday IDPA
June 29th Saturday 3 Gun or Pistol
July 28th Sunday IDPA
Aug 31st Saturday 3 Gun or Pistol
Sept 29th Sunday IDPA
Oct 27th Sunday 3 Gun or Pistol

Lastly, MA has some pretty good competitions in Steel Challenge/ IDPA/ USPSA. Harvard is not that far of a drive from your location, and they put on great matches.

Really surprised so many shooters did not see this coming and added to the ammo cabinet. When you break every record for NICS checks month after month ammo is bound to be under a great deal of pressure. Every gun sold generates a minimum of 50+ rounds at the same time of purchase. Times the number of guns sold ,add in the reelection of the most anti gun President ever and you have the ultimate recipe for a shortage of everything gun related products. Then guys like me bought three years worth of primers and powder adds to the shortage. Other shooting buddies bought 160,000 primers at one time. Then spread this whole thing across the USA and you wonder when it will or ever will get back to normal.

For some of us, stocking up wasn't an option. My situation improved late fall, and started stocking up in December, but it was too little, too late at that point. Oh well, make due. Either don't shoot or pay ridiculous prices here and there.

I am not planning on shooting what i have until i know i can replace it.

This, I was slowly buidling my stockpile before the current insanity, but I'm not at where I can comfortably shoot. I need about 3-500 more 9mm rounds, 200 .40 and at least 1500 .22 before I start shooting again.

Posted from my car phone.

Back
Top Bottom