The Price Gouging/Everything Shortage Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a trade off. No way could we communicate and work together to fight BS as well as we can today. The internet has probably pushed back many forms of tyranny decades in the US.

I totally agree it allows us to more better work to fight stuff. It also allows us to panic faster too...

1.75 l of Hendricks, now that's high capacity :)

Merry Xmas to me. Just add ice.

IMAG1158_resized.jpg

Ice? You must be a amateur. I keep mine in the freezer. [smile]

Last edited:
As far as I can discern, this panic episode has almost exclusively affected AR's and similar rifles. Pistols and their calibers seem to be more or less in "average" supply, mags notwithstanding.

I scoured the interwebs for BX-25 magazines last night and bought any that were under $30. They're going for $50+ on GB.

The AR panic buying in MA is for nothing. We already have the assault weapons ban, 10 round ban. Relax and don't pay the inflated prices. Also AR's are not cheap, after this initial panic their will be a re-supply, and maybe some deals on used AR's from the buyers who over stretched their budgets.

The AR panic buying in MA is for nothing. We already have the assault weapons ban, 10 round ban. Relax and don't pay the inflated prices. Also AR's are not cheap, after this initial panic their will be a re-supply, and maybe some deals on used AR's from the buyers who over stretched their budgets.

This is exactly my thinking..... I can not believe what people are willing to pay. People buying guns, with no magazines or ammo, what's the point? I guess I can see having something because the .gov told you you cannot, but all the lowers here in mass are going to have to be built ban compliant anyway, and if there is a federal ban they will have neutered pre ban rifles anyway....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out looking for a safe the other day. The one we have has been very clogged for a while and it makes finding what you're looking for very difficult. Actually been telling DH we need another for quite a while and had a little 'incident' the other day that drove that point home so off we went. Every store we went to the clerks said the safes have been flying off the shelves as well and inventory was getting low. Now this may just be the time of year. Or a sales tactic. We heard the same line when we were in the furniture store the other week. An exasperated sales person wanted to know if we were looking to get our furniture in time for Christmas as that woul be impossible to do. Of course, usually when I look at the safes in the last several months there is no one else even looking. Every tme we were at a store - middle of the day, middle of the week - we had several other shoppers right there with us.

NES members are price gouging too. Take a look at the Classifieds. I saw a MP lower for 290. WTF?

Exactly what I am waiting in the weeds for....

NES members are price gouging too. Take a look at the Classifieds. I saw a MP lower for 290. WTF?

There's no such thing as gouging. There's a perceived risk that the availability of these items is going to be diminished sometime very soon.

This is how markets work. In a free market, there's no central planning authority that says "This lower receiver is to be sold at $X, and this fully assembled unit is to be sold at $X + $1500."

IDGAF about the free market, i am calling it like i see it right now, and if someone is a buddy-****er i am going to call them a buddy-****er. if you're actively engaged in the act of ****ing your buddies here on NES don't be surprised if i neg rep you.

There's no such thing as gouging. There's a perceived risk that the availability of these items is going to be diminished sometime very soon.

This is how markets work. In a free market, there's no central planning authority that says "This lower receiver is to be sold at $X, and this fully assembled unit is to be sold at $X + $1500."

Thanks for the economic lesson that I did not need. And yes there is such thing although it is more of an ethical issue in my eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

IDGAF about the free market, i am calling it like i see it right now, and if someone is a buddy-****er i am going to call them a buddy-****er. if you're actively engaged in the act of ****ing your buddies here on NES don't be surprised if i neg rep you.

Word and ditto

I totally agree ( although I wouldn't have said it as nice as you lol) I was checking the classifieds last night and saw some crazy sh**. I'm all about recouping your investment. Maybe making a few bucks. But in this atmosphere don't use NES as a platform to eff over your bros!

I was out looking for a safe the other day. The one we have has been very clogged for a while and it makes finding what you're looking for very difficult. Actually been telling DH we need another for quite a while and had a little 'incident' the other day that drove that point home so off we went. Every store we went to the clerks said the safes have been flying off the shelves as well and inventory was getting low. Now this may just be the time of year. Or a sales tactic. We heard the same line when we were in the furniture store the other week. An exasperated sales person wanted to know if we were looking to get our furniture in time for Christmas as that woul be impossible to do. Of course, usually when I look at the safes in the last several months there is no one else even looking. Every tme we were at a store - middle of the day, middle of the week - we had several other shoppers right there with us.

Wait until someone comes up with the idea of calling them AR-15 safes and jacking the prices up 50%.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Could we get a posted list of "ethical" price limits? I would hate to offer an item for sale at a price that offends anyone. Outdated notions such as capitalism might claim that a buyer is self-evidently better off (otherwise they would have not purchased). But as people here suggest, we need to protect these buyers from their own bad decision making, and the first step is limiting sale prices to the "ethical" and non-"gouging" levels (or not selling at all). Perhaps we could form a committee on price controls to set limits for various items. I don't know how to do this, but defer to the experts here on gouging to get that started.

If you don't like the price don't buy it. I see some prices and just say to myself "good luck with that."

I don't try to control how people price their stuff. That is between them and their buyer (or lack of same).

Last edited:
Just came from A&J Sporting in Housatonic. Joe's got quite a bit on his shelves right now, including AR and variants in most calibers. I picked up an M1A for just over $100 under the MSRP. Just don't call him on the phone, he won't answer if there's a customer waiting for help in the store.

If you are looking for a real gun safe (weighing hundreds of pounds empty), best bet is Eastern Security in Mendon. Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, etc. also seem to sell a few as does Sam's Club and Costco's.

There is another way to look at this. If I would have to pay $275-300 to go out and replace that lower, then selling it at that price might be a fair price today. If on the other hand, I can go down the street and buy a replacement for $100, then no, this would indeed be price-gouging.

I totally agree ( although I wouldn't have said it as nice as you lol) I was checking the classifieds last night and saw some crazy sh**. I'm all about recouping your investment. Maybe making a few bucks. But in this atmosphere don't use NES as a platform to eff over your bros!

OK, so this means that if you bought your house for $40-50K back 35-40 years ago and you go to sell it today, you shouldn't sell it for any more than perhaps $60-80K, right? It really is the same philosophy, just a different product. [And that is a real example, which fits my homebuying situation. My late Parents bought their house for ~$15K back in 1957, so when I sell it off, I guess I should put it on the market for no more than $30-40K right (even though the other houses in that neighborhood are selling for $170-200K)?]

If I have USGI pre-ban mags and the current replacement cost is $40-60 each, selling them for $15-20 is downright stupid. That's my opinion anyway, obviously YMMV

As for buying things at insane prices, I'm sitting this one out. Got lots of mags, ammo and a few ARs/AKs to play with to bide my time.

Could we get a posted list of "ethical" price limits? I would hate to offer an item for sale at a price that offends anyone. Outdated notions such as capitalism might claim that a buyer is self-evidently better off (otherwise they would have not purchased). But as people here suggest, we need to protect these buyers from their own bad decision making, and the first step is limiting sale prices to the "ethical" and non-"gouging" levels (or not selling at all). Perhaps we could form a committee on price controls to set limits for various items. I don't know how to do this, but defer to the experts here on gouging to get that started.

Indeed!

Back in the 1960s, some mfrs "price-fixed" what dealers could sell stereo equipment for and if they found you deviating from their pricing strategy (especially if you sold it lower) they dropped you and black-balled you from ever selling their product again. Late 1960s-early 1970s I was independently selling stereo equipment and my supplier was the wholesale arm of Tech HiFi (for those old timers that remember that biz). I was very careful on my invoices to arrange any discounts so nobody could prove that I was selling under the "allowed price" but made sure to give all my customers a discount no matter what. I did get "accused" on a sale of Bose speakers and that was the end of my selling stereo equipment (I never had a store, just ordered, picked up and delivered custom orders). Eventually the Feds ruled that price fixing on most consumer goods was illegal.

Last edited:

I agree, economist. Fully agree. Pricing is a complex issue and we don't want the government controlling pricing.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I got gouged on some auto repairs recently. I couldn't believe how much it cost.

I'm thinking that auto mechanics everywhere reduce their rates 'cause it's for the benefit of everyone who lives in their home town. Or maybe the government should tell mechanics what they are able to charge. Yeah, that's it.

Or... if you want to buy something I have at the price I paid for it... I have some Apple stock I bought at $700 per share a few months ago. I'll be glad to let you have it for exactly what I paid for it.

:)

Last edited:
Screw it - I'm going to have to go dig out all those preban mags I stashed away , pull the stripped lowers out of the safe - and start processing brass - and get those auctions going.

In kinda with you. I have more mags than ammo, so I'm gonna list a couple.

I figure if people want to bid them up to rediculous prices, then why not?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

i have been looking for a 9mm berreta px4 storm forever.... found one finally today for a grand..... really i had to find it now... when its full retard..... I will likely buy it i am a shmuk

If you are looking for a real gun safe (weighing hundreds of pounds empty), best bet is Eastern Security in Mendon. Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, etc. also seem to sell a few as does Sam's Club and Costco's.

There is another way to look at this. If I would have to pay $275-300 to go out and replace that lower, then selling it at that price might be a fair price today. If on the other hand, I can go down the street and buy a replacement for $100, then no, this would indeed be price-gouging.

OK, so this means that if you bought your house for $40-50K back 35-40 years ago and you go to sell it today, you shouldn't sell it for any more than perhaps $60-80K, right? It really is the same philosophy, just a different product. [And that is a real example, which fits my homebuying situation. My late Parents bought their house for ~$15K back in 1957, so when I sell it off, I guess I should put it on the market for no more than $30-40K right (even though the other houses in that neighborhood are selling for $170-200K)?]

If I have USGI pre-ban mags and the current replacement cost is $40-60 each, selling them for $15-20 is downright stupid. That's my opinion anyway, obviously YMMV

As for buying things at insane prices, I'm sitting this one out. Got lots of mags, ammo and a few ARs/AKs to play with to bide my time.

Indeed!

Back in the 1960s, some mfrs "price-fixed" what dealers could sell stereo equipment for and if they found you deviating from their pricing strategy (especially if you sold it lower) they dropped you and black-balled you from ever selling their product again. Late 1960s-early 1970s I was independently selling stereo equipment and my supplier was the wholesale arm of Tech HiFi (for those old timers that remember that biz). I was very careful on my invoices to arrange any discounts so nobody could prove that I was selling under the "allowed price" but made sure to give all my customers a discount no matter what. I did get "accused" on a sale of Bose speakers and that was the end of my selling stereo equipment (I never had a store, just ordered, picked up and delivered custom orders). Eventually the Feds ruled that price fixing on most consumer goods was illegal.
I know what your saying. But I can't compare a steady 40 year increase of real estate values to an overnight 300% markup on a $10 mag. I've never bought an AR mag. thinking I could flip it in 40yrs for 20 times the value. And I agree with sitting it out. I'm petty much all set myself. But if you weren't, would you pay the "insane" prices? Would it leave a bad taste in your mouth?
Not arguing just my opinion.

40 years? Were you there for the bubble? I bought a 3 Decker for 117k and it sold for 277k five years later.

I just got back from my local rounds,happy to say there is plenty of untouched C&R items with no gouging,I know one shop that is almost untouched,they did mark their EBRs and ammo up...no lines but there was more than normal amount of people in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom