The MYTH of over lubrication.

A firearm's lubrication needs are simple and primitive compared to a cars. You can't do better than Mobil 1. If you are afraid it will gum up, then use 0W20.
Re-read my post and see that it wasn't clear. I'm sure Mobil 1 would be AOK. The 5W30 I use in the vehicles is still plenty 'thin' at ~zero degrees.

LOL is it winter yet? I'll have to start thinking about 'fabulous' random drawing prizes for the Winter Warrior postal match I usually sponsor.

There is so much technology and research wrapped up in a $8 quart of Mobil1. It's incredible. The fact that a firearm will run great on canola oil tells us about a firearms lubrication needs.

Canola oil; or in a pinch, used motor oil dripped from the end of an engine dipstick; or in a real pinch, chapstick . . . .
Often a filthy AR that refuses to run, will come back to life with nothing more than motor oil dripped from a dip stick onto the bolt carrier.

Using oil from your car should be included in any AR 101 class given. Chapsstick is essentially grease without any additives.

There is so much technology and research wrapped up in a $8 quart of Mobil1. It's incredible. The fact that a firearm will run great on canola oil tells us about a firearms lubrication needs.

Depends on where you are. Canadian army (SF? I forget) has MASSIVE troubles with CLP. It couldn't handle the cold. Good in heat. Canadana is cooooold. So they swapped out to G96. (This was 20 years ago - might be different now.). G96 doesn't get gummy in sub-zero weather.

And it smells sort of like bubblegum. So strange. Good stuff, tho.

So maybe Canola will be fine. And maybe not. Gotta go test it in your AO for combat. Maybe it doesn't protect in the heat of the desert or the humidity of teh jungle or hte cold of Mother Russia. Good to know before you go slathering your firearms in it.

This aught to be fun. I'm sure it's a topic we can all agree on. [smile]

Let the panty bunching begin! Don't forget to include how your years of experience as a gas station attendant, short order cook, insurance salesman, etc... makes you more knowledgeable about firearms than Larry Vickers. [laugh]

Go!

That video is cute. Now take that Baretta out into the Sonoran Desert for a day on ATV's and tell me how well it runs like that. I'd say the same for the AR.

If you can keep it wet, sure it'll run. But when it looks like a teddy bear from the moon dust out there, the Baretta in particular won't run. Say what you want about my 'experience'. Dunk it in the oil again and it'll run sure. But I didn't carry a vat of oil around in the back of my truck.

Edit:
I'm pretty sure the argument is 'you can overlube a gun' and this video shows that's not a problem. Saying it doesn't attract dirt is the part I have an issue with. Take your gun out of the safe, it will get dust stuck to it in places that will hinder the functionality.

Most of the "food" s*** like FrogLube is f****** terrible. Stick to shit like Slip 2000 EWL 30 or if you're a skinflint, Mobil 1. There's so much garbage out there it's incredible.

Most of the "food" s*** like FrogLube is f****** terrible. Stick to shit like Slip 2000 EWL 30 or if you're a skinflint, Mobil 1. There's so much garbage out there it's incredible.
Its not about being a skinflint. I use so little gun oil that cost is no object.

However, IMHO there isn't anything that's actually better than really good quality motor oil. If the viscosity is appropriate for the application.

Its not about being a skinflint. I use so little gun oil that cost is no object.

However, IMHO there isn't anything that's actually better than really good quality motor oil. If the viscosity is appropriate for the application.
Fully agree. Hey, I’m the one (up the thread) who suggested using dipstick droppings in a pinch. :)

But really, I loathe the stench of motor oil on my hands and on the gun.

Fully agree. Hey, I’m the one (up the thread) who suggested using dipstick droppings in a pinch. :)

But really, I loathe the stench of motor oil on my hands and on the gun.
I agree. The only thing worse is Dexron.

I do love the smell of Balistol and use it for general use, like on a Glock. Though if I think there is any real need for lubrication, like inside an AR. I use Mobil 1.

There is such a thing as over-lubrication.

If you have to stop and wipe your gun off with a towel before you can finally get a shot off, that was too much lube.

You just have to close your eyes and mouth if you over lubricate.

The video is kind of funny.

It’s like saying if you fire a gun underwater it’ll “explode”...Like you guys have never done it. But I would recommend after you fire your gun in your pool...You could probably use some lubrication I recommend frog lube.😜

I usually just reach for the closest dip stick in whatever vehicle im driving...If you care about your finish on your gun I’d stay away from the brake fluid though..Personally whatever’s closest

Well, canola oil started as an industrial lubricant before it was a food product. The navy used it in WW2 for ship's cannons.

The story of canola began in 1942, the middle of World War II. At that time all trains and ships were steam powered and to keep them running smoothly, oil from the rapeseed species Brassica napus and B. rapa were essential. This was because rapeseed oil clings to metal surfaces, when washed with steam or water, better than any other lubricant. When the war cut off supplies from Asia and Europe, Canada was asked if it could grow the crop. Experimental plantings confirmed that with minor adjustments to seeding and harvest equipment the crop was well adapted to the cooler, moister regions of the Canadian prairies. Seed of the B. napus species was quickly increased from a sample of seed thought to have originated in Argentina while a Shellbrook farmer distributed B. rapa seed he had brought with him from Poland in 1936. Thus, the two species became known in Canada as Argentine and Polish types.

Commercial production began in 1943 with a government guaranteed price of 6c/lb and production quickly expanded to 79,000 acres by 1948, about 75% of which was B. rapa. However, with the war over and diesel replaced steam power, the government withdrew its support price and the market and crop almost disappeared. Fortunately, an edible oil market was found in Japan where rapeseed oil was the traditional deep-frying oil (Tempura), and the crop was saved.

Try to overlubricate with Remington dry lube.

That sh*t is like sand. I am not sure what Remington idea of lubrication is, maybe to act as sand paper until all the parts are so smooth you will never need lube again?

I used that sh*t ONCE, like 7 years ago on a 10/22 and I swear I still find some of it in the gun.

Go ahead. I dare anyone dump an entire can of that crap on your gun. Only an AK could survive that, maybe.

Well, canola oil started as an industrial lubricant before it was a food product. The navy used it in WW2 for ship's cannons.

The story of canola began in 1942, the middle of World War II. At that time all trains and ships were steam powered and to keep them running smoothly, oil from the rapeseed species Brassica napus and B. rapa were essential. This was because rapeseed oil clings to metal surfaces, when washed with steam or water, better than any other lubricant. When the war cut off supplies from Asia and Europe, Canada was asked if it could grow the crop. Experimental plantings confirmed that with minor adjustments to seeding and harvest equipment the crop was well adapted to the cooler, moister regions of the Canadian prairies. Seed of the B. napus species was quickly increased from a sample of seed thought to have originated in Argentina while a Shellbrook farmer distributed B. rapa seed he had brought with him from Poland in 1936. Thus, the two species became known in Canada as Argentine and Polish types.

Commercial production began in 1943 with a government guaranteed price of 6c/lb and production quickly expanded to 79,000 acres by 1948, about 75% of which was B. rapa. However, with the war over and diesel replaced steam power, the government withdrew its support price and the market and crop almost disappeared. Fortunately, an edible oil market was found in Japan where rapeseed oil was the traditional deep-frying oil (Tempura), and the crop was saved.

It's not real healthy either. Just think, if they called it Rapeseed Oil, sales would plummet. And that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom