The MYTH of over lubrication.

IMHO the only "bad" thing that comes out of it is you're wasting lube... and itll go places you dont want it to go, including places you don't really need to lubricate, which in turn, will make those areas collect more poop/dirt. You can have the gun spitting the shit in your face, or have it flowing onto your hands, etc. What a mess. [laugh]

-Mike

No kiddin. Generally if someone breaks out a handle of lube you best be ready with all the accoutrements. Face shield, rubbers, wellies if it gets really outta control.

Use enough juice to get the job done and come home clean. IMO.
We are talking bout guns here, right?

Browsing in Barnes and Nobles, one of the gun magazines (I don't remember which one) had an article on an upcoming no lube AR by Anderson Rifles, "The World's Only NO LUBE AR-15" Model RF88

All the gun metal, including the barrel, is infused with a molecular process requiring no lube and ensuring a much longer life.

https://www.andersonrifles.com/ is "under repair" right now but it sounded pretty good in the article.

Anyone know anything more about it?

Last edited:
Anderson has been advertising the no lube gimmick for a few years. I wouldn't bet against any rifle with a NiB BCG being able to shoot thousands of rounds without additional lube. Anderson sell sub-$500 complete rifles. The chances of Anderson having some legit nano technology secret sauce is unlikely. Instead, they should put that R&D money into making sure the grip screw holes are the right depth and the walls of the receivers are of even thickness.

I treat my firearms like machines... oil and grease the moving parts and try not to overthink it.

I do believe that excess lube will hold on to dust, grit, powder but that just means an extra cleaning every now and then. But I'm not lugging my gear around in sand and crap all the time.

Being a mechanic, I have this ingrained in me. If it moves lube it. If it doesn't move and should, lube it and work it. If it doesn't move and shouldn't move paint it.
I lube my guns with oil where it's needed and grease on the rails so it stays in place and provides lubrication when it's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great video. It's especially hilarious if you listen to the audio without watching the video and substitute a reference to women for all references to weapons.

i find that the OLDER models need the most lube....

just sayin'

I like roller coaster oil/grease.

5762392.jpg

I'd like to see them do that test in AZ, especially that Baretta. I know a couple places where that much lube on a gun will make it look like a Chia Pet in a matter of minutes in the right wind conditions.

They are proving a point, I get it. But to tell soldiers going to one of the 'stans it will never be a problem is just as bad.

Just one word. Amen!! I lube my glocks, my rifles and my Benelli well and clean after each match or trip to the range.

Anderson has been advertising the no lube gimmick for a few years. I wouldn't bet against any rifle with a NiB BCG being able to shoot thousands of rounds without additional lube. Anderson sell sub-$500 complete rifles. The chances of Anderson having some legit nano technology secret sauce is unlikely. Instead, they should put that R&D money into making sure the grip screw holes are the right depth and the walls of the receivers are of even thickness.

Maybe they say it doesn't need lube because whether is is lubed or not it's still going to fail just as quick. [laugh]

A friend of mine was on the SEAL teams back in the late 80s and early 90s. He spent a lot of time in the jungles of South and Central America.
The first time I want shooting with him, he pulls out a bottle of Mobile1 with a tooth brush inside of it and proceeds to slather up his AR.

It was extreme. But that is how they determined was best to do in the humidity of the jungle.
Fast forward 20 years and another friend who was in Iraq has a different protocol. He applies oil precisely where parts touch. That's it. And he cleans the gun out after he shoots it and reapplies oil.

My SEAL friend just keeps adding oil. Ha.

A friend of mine was on the SEAL teams back in the late 80s and early 90s. He spent a lot of time in the jungles of South and Central America.
The first time I want shooting with him, he pulls out a bottle of Mobile1 with a tooth brush inside of it and proceeds to slather up his AR.

It was extreme. But that is how they determined was best to do in the humidity of the jungle.
Fast forward 20 years and another friend who was in Iraq has a different protocol. He applies oil precisely where parts touch. That's it. And he cleans the gun out after he shoots it and reapplies oil.

My SEAL friend just keeps adding oil. Ha.
I use Mobil 1 grease for my M1's and M14. The film stays put in high heat and it runs normally at minus 7 F- that's the coldest temp I have had a range day in. Haven't tried Mobil 1 oil in an AR. I can say that RemOil turns gummy once temps reach 10 F or colder. Someone recommended Marvel Mystery Oil for AR's in extreme cold temps and by my experience it works quite well.

Of course there's such a thing as over lubrication. One day of experience on a range getting splashed in the face is all one needs to see that. I've also seen an overlubed handgun stain a guy's clothes before...
NO WAY !! stained shirt f*** !

Years ago I was shooting with a friend and a friend of his came walking up with a big black rifle. I knew nothing about it but learned it was a belt fed .HK 308.

Like most machine gun owners this guy got more pleasure by watching others shoot his gun than by shooting it himself. Unlike most machine gun owners, he was happy to offer the gun up with some free ammo.

So I get on the ground behind the gun and he puts in a belt with 30 rounds. He then gets out his trusty oil can and lays a bead of oil down the entire length of the linked belt on all of the ammo cases. "send it" he says.

I let all 30 rounds go down range in 2 or 3 bursts. The oil is flying everywhere. Its glorious. I've got crap on my shirt. (I'm left handed) and on my face. But I've also got a huuugggeeee s41t eating grin on my face. Well worth it.

Did what Grandpa Hickok45 did for years and sprayed everything with Ballistol until I discovered CorrosionX. Finally something that doesn't smell like anything.

Back
Top Bottom