• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Illinois Way: Pro-2a speech gets your FOID revoked

pdm

NES Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-claims-based-on-gun-seizure-can-go-forward/

Free speech, right to bear arms, search and seizure, and due process claims based on gun seizure can go forward

By Eugene Volokh
March 24 at 9:35 pm

So holds Rhein v. Pryor (N.D. Ill. Mar. 20, 2014). At this stage of the proceedings, there has been no factfinding based on the plaintiffs’ allegations, so one cannot assume that the defendants indeed behaved the way the plaintiffs claim. I quote the case only to show what legal theories can be brought if government officials do indeed act in the ways the plaintiffs allege. Here are the factual allegations; note that a FOID card is a Firearm Owners Identification Card that is required under Illinois law to possess guns.

Read it all.

Ah, the beautiful world of bureaucrats who are given just enough authority to want to always fall on the side of caution at the expense of someone else's rights.

The court is letting the 1st A and Due Process claims proceed, which seems pretty straightforward - the 1st A and Due Process claims underlie (and subsume) the others in that the 2nd and 4th claims are based on a response to speech that is alleged to be retaliatory or arbitrary.

I hope the plaintiffs will object to/appeal the removal of the 2nd and 4th claims so that - if the facts show the 1st claim isn't valid (the speech was a threat and the action was not retaliatory or arbitrary), they can perhaps later proceed with the 2nd and 4th claims still being an issue.

Some of the comments are great.

Howard Bowman said:
What a shame that the defendants, if found liable, will not suffer any personal loss. Time to end immunity for state actors.

RickCaird said:
Boy, do I agree with that. State actors have no fear of violating people's rights because they bear no consequences. As long as there are no consequences, violations will continue.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I've read it all, and am not remotely surprised. As long as prosecutorial immunity exists, abuses exists.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
What could be more absolute, than default immunity from prosecution?

If only they had taken a nap in the house after the seizure you could make an argument for a 3rd Amendment violation too. Violating 1-5 would be pretty impressive. I mean, 1,2,4, and 5 is darn impressive as it is...

Back
Top Bottom