The Hedge Fund in Your Pantry...

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Interesting read:

If you had an extra $500 in your checking account, what would be a rational thing to do with it? All things being equal, many experts would recommend investing it in the stock market, where the average annual return of 10 percent handily beats the pitiful interest rates offered by most retail savings accounts. But few households actually do this—especially lower-income ones. Are they acting irrationally?

Hardly, says Scott Baker, an associate professor of finance at the Kellogg School. New research from Baker and his collaborators Stephanie Johnson and Lorenz Kueng (of Rice University and the Swiss Finance Institute, respectively) shows that many households “invest” surplus cash in an inventory of common household consumables—everything from canned goods and breakfast cereal to boxes of tissue and rolls of toilet paper.

Interesting read:

Household consumables and most other things aren't getting any cheaper as time passes. Anyone with an extra, undedicated $500 hanging around would be a fool to not put it into some type of tangible goods that they know will be used.

Money in the bank or stock market isn't going to feed you if there's no food available, and your stock receipt can only wipe your ass once. Same goes for cash. Sure, cash might work for a little while, but only if goods to buy are available......and then expect to pay exorbitant prices for everything.
Why people can't understand this simple concept is incredible.

It's absolutely amazing how complacent, dependent and "normalcy biased" people have become. When things crash, they are going to fall and fall hard.

Tangible assets are what us poors can afford to buy.
It's a smart use of money in inflationary times. Markets go up slowly but drop fast.
Whatever inflation #s they are quoting are not true.
Look at your grocery receipt.
Look at your bar tab.
Your restaurant bill.
Even gold and silver are just commodities to be manipulated.
Hard to stock up on things like gasoline but how about tires, oil, brake parts, etc.

There is one product you probably use, and can buy today, that will increase in price by 7.35% on Bastille Day.

I've also done well taking a long position on town pay per throw garbage bags just before a pre-announced increase.

Hopefully the masses will eventually put two and two together and realize the government is their biggest threat.
Half either might or already do realize this, the other half are waiting for their next government hand out.

Half either might or already do realize this, the other half are waiting for their next government hand out.

I’m hoping the brutal inflation will teach them that handouts just make their lives worse, maybe after the next 2020-2022 style handout bonanza, but by then it won’t matter if they realize it.

There is one product you probably use, and can buy today, that will increase in price by 7.35% on Bastille Day.

I've also done well taking a long position on town pay per throw garbage bags just before a pre-announced increase.
They're watching Rob. They'll get their money one way or another.
They'll change the design or color and declare the former ones unacceptable.

The recycles and trash pick up company here recently put out a notice that the containers must have the lid closed for the truck to pick them up. This means no over loaded containers, thus forcing customers to "rent" another container of they have a lot of trash normally.

It's an ongoing racket and the customers are always had by the short hairs.

They're watching Rob. They'll get their money one way or another.

The recycles and trash pick up company here recently put out a notice that the containers must have the lid closed for the truck to pick them up. This means no over loaded containers, thus forcing customers to "rent" another container of they have a lot of trash normally.

Better get that used trash compactor off Craigslist before the prices shoot through the roof lol

I took a long position before the last garbage bag price increase and used the pre-increase bags for over 2 years before I ran out, plus I was able to use a 5% off coupon at Roaches - which meant they sold at a loss since they buy their inventory at full price. The new manager enforces "town trash bags excluded" from the 5% coupons. No one at the store had read about the price increase and gave me funny looks when I asked for a full case from the back room at $600ish.

[laugh] We have weekly trash pick up but we don't generate enough trash to put it out but once a month. The container is pretty large and we've yet to fill it.
My cousins town a while back put a limit on the number of bags that could be put out. My uncle took the compactor off his boat and brought it up to her place. They stayed under the limit but the trash guys broke their backs throwing them into the truck

Depends on the town. Where I live its 100 bucks a year for the extra garbage can and it easily pays for itself. Where Rob lives with those bags its basically an eco nazi extortion racket to try to guilt people into somehow making less trash.

Depends on the town. Where I live its 100 bucks a year for the extra garbage can and it easily pays for itself. Where Rob lives with those bags its basically an eco nazi extortion racket to try to guilt people into somehow making less trash.
Down here it's part of your taxes. Weekly. 2 big cans. If you tip them well at Christmas , it's amazing what they'll take.

Down here it's part of your taxes. Weekly. 2 big cans. If you tip them well at Christmas , it's amazing what they'll take.

we get 1 can w/taxes but you gotta pay for a 2nd one, but the robot dont care how much the cans weigh... lmao... one time I cut up a couch into about 9000 pieces with a sawzall and they took it... [rofl]

we get 1 can w/taxes but you gotta pay for a 2nd one, but the robot dont care how much the cans weigh... lmao... one time I cut up a couch into about 9000 pieces with a sawzall and they took it... [rofl]
You'll be a smith and wesson man before you know it

I can’t believe how many people don’t tip their trash man!

I’ve had times when I stuck around to hand them a $20 and helped them load up.

Exactly! That kindness goes a long way. About a month ago I forgot to get my cans out before i left. I figured oh well. Then on camera I saw them walking down my driveway and rolled them up. I appreciated it and left them a case of beer the next week.

OK Rob, you've got me intrigued about the 14th of July. What product?

Just before the past caretaker of my town's transfer station retired last year, he clued me in that our "pay as you throw" bags would be increasing in price. I did the same as you and laid in a large supply.

My town allows you to toss an unlimited amount of recyclables with purchase of the town sticker, and has separate roll-off containers for things like glass, paper, cardboard, metal, etc. I take full advantage of that and we usually only generate a single large bag of "Garbage" every two weeks.

Back on subject, I have instructed my wife to buy things like canned and dry goods by the case and store it for future use.
I handle the collection of base metals and nitrocellulose based substances. ;) ;)

I dont think Ive ever seen them. Im certainly never home during the day to tip them. Even in work we seldom see the same few guys more than once. I dont even have the same mailman or UPS guy every day.

OK Rob, you've got me intrigued about the 14th of July. What product?

Just before the past caretaker of my town's transfer station retired last year, he clued me in that our "pay as you throw" bags would be increasing in price. I did the same as you and laid in a large supply.

My town allows you to toss an unlimited amount of recyclables with purchase of the town sticker, and has separate roll-off containers for things like glass, paper, cardboard, metal, etc. I take full advantage of that and we usually only generate a single large bag of "Garbage" every two weeks.

Back on subject, I have instructed my wife to buy things like canned and dry goods by the case and store it for future use.
I handle the collection of base metals and nitrocellulose based substances. ;) ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3t6iHhYksc

Back
Top Bottom