• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Boston Globe needs help with a story! Who can send some info?

G

GOAL C.M.

Matt Carrol from The Boston Globe just called us looking for some info. He is doing a story on the increase in gun licenses over the past couple of years, and would like to talk to people who got a Class A in the last year or two. He would like to ask about why they got their license.

If you fit this bill please send him and email or give him a call.

w 617 929 7375
[email protected]

It would be nice to know if this article will be pro- or anti 2a (at the very least I would hope it's neutral). Given recent discussions regarding suitability one has to wonder if this would make license renewal more difficult for the interviewee. Just a thought.

-MS

It would be nice to know if this article will be pro- or anti 2a (at the very least I would hope it's neutral). Given recent discussions regarding suitability one has to wonder if this would make license renewal more difficult for the interviewee. Just a thought.

-MS

MS, Matt in the past has been pretty fair to us. Please read the story in my post above for a sample of an article of his.

Thanks

I'll send him an Email, I got my LTC last spring. Hopefully he will not try to use the article to hurt our cause.

Any thoughts about renewal issues if we say something the .gov deems "inappropriate"?

Let's not go picking any fights. I don't think it's out of line for me to suggest you not say anything anything inappropriate to a Boston Globe reporter.[thinking]

Any thoughts about renewal issues if we say something the .gov deems "inappropriate"?

It might be advisable to refrain from acting "overly anxious", showing a "inappropriate preoccupation" with firearms and discussions of using "deadly force". [thinking]

I can easily see this ending badly.

Scenario plays out like so -

Local licensing officer reads the article. Notices a quote from a source, say, Jack D in his local town. Jack D expresses how he does not feel that the local police officer should be allowed to have so much power over another individuals constitutional right. Licensing officer takes offense thinking "I'm just doing this to keep the children safe.'

When Jack D comes up for renewal, officer remembers his name and restricts his license.

Call me paranoid, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.

I was quoted in the referenced article, and I think while the article was accurate, it unfortunately did not really make clear how very central the issue is that so many of us have, which is that a license with restrictions is often granted when an unrestricted license was requested, and there is no legal channel in place under current MA law for appealing the restrictions.

Last edited:
Let's not go picking any fights. I don't think it's out of line for me to suggest you not say anything anything inappropriate to a Boston Globe reporter.[thinking]

I'm not talking about picking a fight. I just wonder if anything we say can be used, etc. etc.

Larry Legend said it...

Local licensing officer reads the article. Notices a quote from a source, say, Jack D in his local town. Jack D expresses how he does not feel that the local police officer should be allowed to have so much power over another individuals constitutional right. Licensing officer takes offense thinking "I'm just doing this to keep the children safe.'

When Jack D comes up for renewal, officer remembers his name and restricts his license.

BINGO.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about picking a fight. I just wonder if anything we say can be used, etc. etc.

Well, as we've found out in the other thread, anything you say can be used against you in a court of... whatever your licensing authority wants to do. [hmmm]

I can easily see this ending badly.

Well, as we've found out in the other thread, anything you say can be used against you in a court of... whatever your licensing authority wants to do. [hmmm]

It called a chilling effect on speech. More proof of the harm of Swampscott's CLEO's far reaching effects of his actions.

It called a chilling effect on speech. More proof of the harm of Swampscott's CLEO's far reaching effects of his actions.

It is, of course, a chilling effect on political speech. But it's not really the Swampscott's CLEO's fault, it's the fault of MA's discretionary licensing altogether. Why do us Ma**h***s keep wanting to attend open-carry (or even empty-holster) events in New Hampshire? Because we think if we do them here, we'll be denied.

It may end up that Swampscott has done us a service waking up more gun-owners to these facts.

It is, of course, a chilling effect on political speech. But it's not really the Swampscott's CLEO's fault, it's the fault of MA's discretionary licensing altogether. Why do us Ma**h***s keep wanting to attend open-carry (or even empty-holster) events in New Hampshire? Because we think if we do them here, we'll be denied.

It may end up that Swampscott has done us a service waking up more gun-owners to these facts.

Correct. His was a small, but instrumental part. Knuckle dragger made a good post on the topic earlier too.

I dropped Matt a note mentioning I have a class coming up this weekend and offering to give his name to students. That didn't fit his deadline, but he called and asked me a few questions about the demand for classes, why people are taking them, etc. I hope I didn't mis-speak, but I basically stated that I felt the "Obama effect" was increasing demand as people fear further restrictions on what they will be allowed to purchase.

I hope I didn't mis-speak, but I basically stated that I felt the "Obama effect" was increasing demand as people fear further restrictions on what they will be allowed to purchase.

I'd say that, and folks finally starting to realize that they have to take responsibility for their own safety, that bad things happen to good people, and that the illusion of "safe neighborhoods" is almost non-existent now.

Or maybe thats just what I HOPE people are realizing.

I sent Matt an E-mail about 5 minutes ago and I just got off the phone with him. Seemed innocent. Just told him the facts...

I mentioned a few things:

1. Gun bans historically have been a prohibition on what you can legally buy, not confiscation - and noted that Obama said "we won't take away your guns", not "we won't prevent you from buying certain types of guns" - and that people understand that there is a substantial difference between those two statements.

2. A common theme I see with new persons getting their LTC is "I want to get a gun while I still can", and that I believe the "Obama effect" is a driving factor.

3. My gun club just experienced it's best year to date for new members.

Last edited:
I spoke to him this morning as well.

He was interested in the WOT programs that GOAL and the NRA have at the local clubs.

Like others said, he is looking for basic facts and numbers on licensing.

Sorry kids....Q is cranky again (what else is new) and has nothing but contempt for the news media - especially the Globe.

I renewed 4 licenses this spring - 2 FFLs (06 & 03), a LTC-A and a LTSA. Many a hoop was lept through (none were on fire this time around though...). I'll pass thank you. Its the Globe afterall. I don't care who the 'story fabricator' is, its still the Globe. I don't believe they will relay the facts without some moonbat/liberal spin put on them to suit their own political agenda. I flat out don't trust them. Never have.

-MS

I've read that story a couple of times now. It seemed pretty neutral and just reported the facts. The one thing that seemed evident in the story was that the existing licensing procedure was broken, or at best, had a few "glitches." [wink] The story actually got a lot of the basic facts correct.

My impression is that the reporter seemed pretty fair and didn't seem to have an axe to grind on the issue. BTW, the article said that Coakley was considering all the problems with licensing that GOAL had provided. I'm sure she'll be correcting it soon.

[rofl]

Obama aside, I suspect the implosion of the economy led to an expectation of increased crime. Those who could think to the next step saw the benefit of holding an LTC.

Back
Top Bottom