• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Boston Globe needs help with a story! Who can send some info?

Obama aside, I suspect the implosion of the economy led to an expectation of increased crime. Those who could think to the next step saw the benefit of holding an LTC.

This was one of the reasons i got mine. Protection, and i decided to start exercising my right.

It's all been said before on here. The police can't respond in a nano-second. I'd rather be prepared instead of having to jump off my 20 ft balcony and let whoever have all my stuff.

I'll bite, and send an email in a little bit.

I sent an email explaining my reasons for getting my LTC. I asked him to keep my name anonymous, because one of my rules for carrying is to not let anyone else know it.. [wink]

BTW, the article said that Coakley was considering all the problems with licensing that GOAL had provided. I'm sure she'll be correcting it soon.

[rofl]

I'm sure you all remember what happened with the freedom of information act that we filed with Deval in regards to all of the extra money that was illegally charged... [shocked]

Here's an oldie but a goody in regards to filing FOIA's

GOAL Files Freedom of Information Act Request after Governor Patrick Blames Licensed Gun Owners for Crime

On April 12, 2007 Governor Deval Patrick filed H3978 "An Act to Reduce Gun Violence". Among other things, this bill would make it a crime for Massachusetts licensed gun owners to purchase more than one rifle, shotgun, firearm, machine gun, large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device in a thirty day period.

In the letter to the Massachusetts General Court that was attached to the bill, the Governor directly blamed the licensed gun owners of the Commonwealth for the illegal gun market. “First, this legislation shrinks the supply of illegal guns, by limiting gun buyers to one firearm purchase per month, reducing gun trafficking by “straw purchasers” who purchase firearms for prohibited buyers.”

As a result, GOAL has sent the following letter to the Governor which includes a Freedom of Information Act request for the specific proof that licensed gun owners are responsible for the illegal gun trade.

"It is time that the supporters of this type of legislation provide the public with specific proof that our members are to blame for illegal gun trafficking," said Jim Wallace, Executive Director of GOAL, "not simply unsubstantiated reports ginned up by anti-civil rights groups, but specific confirmable proof. Over the past decade our members have been forced to bear the consequences of the terribly misguided laws passed in 1998. Now with the ranks of lawful gun owners decimated by ill-conceived laws, our new Governor is trying to blame the rest of us for the growing crime in our state. This type of blanket accusation reflects an appetite to persecute an entire group of people rather than prosecute the few that might be guilty."

And this,

Governor Patrick has No Information to Back Legislation

On April 30, 2007 Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) sent a Freedom of Information Act request to Governor Patrick concerning his new one gun a month proposal. Since the entire premise of such a bill is to place the blame for illegal gun trafficking on lawfully licensed citizens, GOAL requested the following, “…any and all documents, memos, briefings, case files, prosecution documents, police reports, etc. specifically proving that the lawful gun owners of the Commonwealth are responsible for the illegal gun trade in Massachusetts.”

In a May 8, 2007 letter, Governor Patrick’s Deputy Chief Legal Counsel claims that the “…the Office of the Governor is not one of the instrumentalities enumerated…” in the public record law G.L. c. 4, § 7, Twenty-sixth and was therefore not obligated to disclose anything. The letter goes on to state however that the Governor’s office may respond, “…to public records requests on a case-by-case basis.”

The Deputy Chief Legal Counsel then states that our request has been reviewed and it was determined that, “…it fails to provide a reasonable description of the requested documents…” However, the Counsel then goes on to state, “…your letter seeks materials that are exempt from production under, inter alia, exemptions (d), (f), and (j) of the public records law…” These two statements together are not collectively logical. If our request was not clear, than how can the documents requested be determined to be exempt?

After reading the Governor’s response, GOAL then looked to the exemptions claimed under (d), (f), and (j) of the public records law. Upon reading these clauses, it was clear the Governor was telling us he had no evidence to back up the premise of his bill!

By claiming G.L. c. 4, § 7, Twenty-sixth (d), he has told us that he is not in possession of any, "... reasonably completed factual studies or reports on which the development of such policy positions has been or may be based."

By claiming G.L. c. 4, § 7, Twenty-sixth (f), he has told us that there might be law enforcement work being conducted that could be compromised if information was released to the public. While GOAL doesn’t condone a bill being filed before all the facts are in, we are pleased that the Governor supports the concept behind the Tiarht amendment that blocks anti-civil rights groups from obtaining current investigatory files from the BATFE.

By claiming G.L. c. 4, § 7, Twenty-sixth (j), since clause (j) protects the identity of lawful gun owners, but police reports are public record (as they appear in newspapers everyday) the Governor is clearly stating that, although he has no evidence to support his claims, he will persist in accusing lawful gun owners of being at fault for illegal gun trafficking.

GOAL can only conclude from the Governor's response that he has no evidence to support the filing his legislation limiting lawful gun owners to purchasing no more than one gun in a thirty day period. GOAL encourages our members to share this information with their local legislators and urge them not support the Governor's bill to restrict lawful citizens.

I am pleased to see that folks are responding to the request. I'm sure that people like John Rosenthal will be heard from, so it's nice that some sane and rational folks will be quoted (hopefully) to balance out the idiocy.

I wish I were a licensing authority and Rosenthal were applying for an LTC. "The applicant is denied on the basis that anyone who spends large sums of money on inaccurate billboards to attack civil rights is not suitable to possess firearms...or pointy sticks either." [laugh]

I've had mine for way too long, but even if I just got it I would never cooperate with anyone working for that ultra-liberal piece of crap newspaper.

I hate to be negative, but those scumbags will twist your quotes and make you look bad. I wouldn't cooperate with them in any way. And if you do decide to cooperate with them, I hope you'll all use a pseudonym.

Nothing good ever happens after midnight. Or when you interact with the nutty liberals in the media.

I sent him an e-mail, I always feel anybody can ask questions, I can always choose not to answer it. His last article seemed fair, nothing for or against, and was direct and to the point, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt if he calls. I will let you all know how it goes, if he should decide to call.

My situation is, both my wife and I obtained our LTC's together, same class, same town, interveiwed together, issued on the same day. Husband and wife both get LTC's. Kinda makes it a family event.

Can't help. I am sure the reporter is a nice guy and all , but : I intend to celebrate when that POS propaganda machine effing dies.

I'll see how you all like it when it's printed.

I'm in the category he's looking for, I received my Unrestricted LTC-A earlier this year. If it was the Herald, I'd think about shooting an E-Mail or giving him a call. I have no inclination to speak with anyone who writes for the Globe. I go so far as do do as Howie Carr does: I'll send out those paid postage envelopes that comes with the Globe's solicitation (empty of course) for a subscription just to cost them a few cents! [devil2]

They came and took pictures of me shooting today, asked me a few questions... After a little while talking to the photographer he ended up thinking about getting his own. Seemed harmless, we'll see

My opinion...

Anyone who cooperates with a Globe article, thinking some good will come of it, is delusional.

Allowing themselves to be quoted or otherwise identified is insanity.

The article will be in tomorrow mornings paper, to all those who are sceptical... I just figured it would be better they get their information from a decent source instead of making up their own. Since everyone else seemed iffy about speaking to them I can see why they were so eager to speak. And at the very least, I spoke. They can twist it however they like, I can't control that but I was careful what I said. People are going to find something wrong with it no matter what side of the fence they're on. Anyway, I'll be buying that issue : )

The article will be in tomorrow mornings paper, to all those who are sceptical... I just figured it would be better they get their information from a decent source instead of making up their own. Since everyone else seemed iffy about speaking to them I can see why they were so eager to speak. And at the very least, I spoke. They can twist it however they like, I can't control that but I was careful what I said. People are going to find something wrong with it no matter what side of the fence they're on. Anyway, I'll be buying that issue : )

i will read it as well.

I do not trust that communist rag....will they go out of business already? To me this is like Nancy Pelosi writing a thesis on why every american should own a firearm....do not be fooled people...

My opinion...

Anyone who cooperates with [STRIKE]a Globe article[/STRIKE] any member of the press, thinking some good will come of it, is delusional.

Allowing themselves to be quoted or otherwise identified is insanity.

Fixed it for you.

I think it played both sides pretty well, definitely liberal... but not bad per say.

No, it is fine. He does not challenge rosenthal's BS but he doesn't play games either. GOAL wouldn't have posted this thread if they thought it was going to be a hatchet job.

No, it is fine. He does not challenge rosenthal's BS but he doesn't play games either. GOAL wouldn't have posted this thread if they thought it was going to be a hatchet job.

Agreed, that's what I should have said, it was pretty straight forward... left some things unchallenged that most of us would have foamed at the mouth about but I didnt see it as a negative article. [grin]

Class A permits, commonly called “a license to carry,’’ are the only permits that allow individuals to carry concealed guns and own all types of legal firearms.
So now I can buy a machine gun with an LTC/A?

Well, the multiple reference to the Quincy shooting was a bit of a stretch. Every day this week more has been coming out that doesn't paint the firefighter in such an "innocent victim" light.

Back
Top Bottom