the AR im going to be building

Well based on your choices (which are top notch, by the way) I would say you are not a Mass. resident.
Also, with that barrel, the rifle will be a SBR. which is great for CQB but the ballistics past 150 yards leaves alot to be desired. It also seems kind of contradictory to have such a short barrel with such a precision stock. Personally, if I was going the SBR route I would save the money on the stock and get a stubby skeleton or traditional collapsable stock.
Ditto for the Trijicon. You might consider a reflex or eotech for substantially less money.
Save the bipod for a longer range rifle.

Now if you were to opt for a 20" match barrel then I would be all for your choices except the Tangodown front grip. It would be to much with the bipod.

i am actually in mass, so was going to go piece by piece, is the noveske not allowed in mass? i mean i would be doing this all piece by piece so hopefully noone would figure it out. and the trijicon does have the reflex on it, i want to build an everything in one rifle. what would you suggest for barrels then? i am just getting started here so i will be learning as i go

i am actually in mass, so was going to go piece by piece, is the noveske not allowed in mass? i mean i would be doing this all piece by piece so hopefully noone would figure it out.
I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting here, but it gives me pause. First, is the lower receiver that you have post-ban or pre-ban? If it is post-ban, then you have to put a post-ban configuration upper on it (that is, no flash hider or bayonet lug).

Putting a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower is a felony in MA. The penalty for this violation is one to ten years in prison. After which, as a felon, you could never own a gun again for the rest of your life.

Second, a 10.5" barrel would create a short barreled rifle. You can do this IF you follow on the rules and procedures for doing so, including getting a form signed by your police chief, paying the $200 to the ATF, engraving the receiver, etc. If you do not do this, it is a federal felony, punishable by 10 years in federal prison. There are a number of legal hoops to jump through if you decide to go the short barrel rifle route.

You don't want to risk 10 years in prison, hoping that "no one would figure it out." Don't do it. Don't even think about it. And if you do decide to do it, you shouldn't have posted your plans for doing it on the internet.

and the trijicon does have the reflex on it, i want to build an everything in one rifle. what would you suggest for barrels then? i am just getting started here so i will be learning as i go

Your choices of equipping your rifle seem rather contradictory. A 10.5" upper is very short. It works well as an entry rifle for CQB, for getting in and out of vehicles, etc. But the tradeoff is that you lose a great deal of velocity and beyond 150 yards or so, that drop off in velocity significantly reduces lethality.

The stock you picked, the UBR, is really a sniper stock. It would be great on an SPR rifle (20" with a high power scope), but just adds weight and unneeded length on an entry gun. If you want to keep the 10.5" upper, I'd go with an MOE or CTR stock.

As for a scopes, I can't see picking that type of scope on a 10.5" entry-type of gun. I'd go with a red dot 1x scope, like an Aimpoint or Eotech, on an entry-type gun.

If you want an all-around AR15, then I would recommend a 14.5" barrel with permanently attached 1.5" muzzle device (flash suppressor if you are putting it on a pre-ban lower, or muzzle brake if you are putting it on a post-ban lower), or a 16" barrel with appropriate muzzle device. CTR or MOE stock. Then I would use a 1x4 scope like the Trijicon TR24g 1x4 if you want magnification.

thanks for all that info, thats actually why i always post here because you guys will always give it to me straight, no hours of reading laws and trying to figure it out. its clear that i have allot to learn about the AR sides of things, so i think i would probably now just talk with my ffl to know exactly what i can do and how. so i will continue to refine the list thanks for all the information

thanks for all that info, thats actually why i always post here because you guys will always give it to me straight, no hours of reading laws and trying to figure it out. its clear that i have allot to learn about the AR sides of things, so i think i would probably now just talk with my ffl to know exactly what i can do and how. so i will continue to refine the list thanks for all the information

You're not the only one. The replies here are well thought out and helpful. There's more to building an AR than snapping together pieces like a lego set, and your efforts to thoroughly research the subject will pay off.

As an AR neophyte, I've read up endlessy on this subject and there's still, really, no substitute for for talking to someone who knows first hand.

Oh, yeah, the bipod. I think a bipod would just add weight and get in the way on an entry-type gun. On a 20" precision rifle it might make sense. But I wouldn't put one on a short gun. YMMV.

And one more thing. If your lower is post-ban, then you can't have a collapsible stock on it -- the stock must be a fixed stock or a collapsible stock that has been permanently pinned at a particular length (which kind of defeats the purpose IMHO).

Last edited:
The stock you picked, the UBR, is really a sniper stock. It would be great on an SPR rifle (20" with a high power scope), but just adds weight and unneeded length on an entry gun. If you want to keep the 10.5" upper, I'd go with an MOE or CTR stock.

The UBR is not the sniper stock, the PRS (Precision Rifle/Snier is the one you are thinking of. The UBR is a telescoping stock like the CTR/MOE is, but is a bit heavier than the CTR/MOE.

As far as the UBR, good luck getting one. They sell out pretty quick on-line and such, and since you do live in MA you probably need to get a pre-ban lower to use on it.

Ah, yup, you're right. The UBR is still a 1/2 lb heavier than the CTR/MOE, which seems kind of silly on an 10.5" entry gun.

Back
Top Bottom