• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

That's some fugly ammo.

Yeah, I know, mil-grade stuff is annealed and are discolored as a result. But, damn, some of these cases looked like they had been lying on the ground since last season.

FullSizeR.jpg

Wipe down with Clearasil pads. Should clean that right up...

1630433108828-png.518008
Is Superfruit flavor good to clean bores with copper and lead build-up?

Well, yes, the picture was taken as it was going into the magazine. Just commenting on the appearance, not worrying about the functionality.
normal old brass, what`s the issue? put the target behind a car door at 100yds and enjoy the piercing.

if you think thats bad then i'm extremely embarrassed and won't mention some of the ammo i've burned through over the years. oops, i just did...

Was it at the bottom of your purse and got cover up on it? I was expecting russian steel case that was rusted out or something

is this ammo or beauty pageant?
It’s M855
garbage projectile but its a consistent type of garbage so it gets points for that
it will also slowly destroy AR550 steel

When I get some time, I'll show you "fugly ammo". Greek HXP 30.06 out of two spam cans where one of the bandoliers had got caught in the roll crimp and wicked in moisture over years....( not in my storage condition but from the time it was produced ).....1972.
Bandoliers completely rotted away, enbloc clips rusted to flakes, ammo caked with thick layer of green corrosion....an absolute mess.
Odly enough, the powder was still dry in most of the ammo ( no not going to salvage it ) I pulled about thirty rounds just to satisfy my curiosity.
Will post a picture when I can get outside and dump it on some cardboard. Been raining steady here for almost two days and two more to go. Ida remnants.

When I get some time, I'll show you "fugly ammo". Greek HXP 30.06 out of two spam cans where one of the bandoliers had got caught in the roll crimp and wicked in moisture over years....( not in my storage condition but from the time it was produced ).....1972.
Bandoliers completely rotted away, enbloc clips rusted to flakes, ammo caked with thick layer of green corrosion....an absolute mess.
Odly enough, the powder was still dry in most of the ammo ( no not going to salvage it ) I pulled about thirty rounds just to satisfy my curiosity.
Will post a picture when I can get outside and dump it on some cardboard. Been raining steady here for almost two days and two more to go. Ida remnants.
Yeah, I bought a bunch of those spam-cans (CMP) and after a little read on the CMP-Forum decided it would be better to open the cans and put the ammo (after inspection) into new U.S.G.I. .30 CAL cans (with some good desiccant.)

Absolutely did not want to open a bad can when I needed the ammo for SHTF (if that is still a "thing"...)

Luckily, 100% attractive good ammo....

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought a bunch of those spam-cans (CMP) and after a little read on the CMP-Forum decided it would be better to open the cans and put the ammo (after inspection) into new U.S.G.I. .30 CAL cans (with some good desiccant.)

Absolutely did not want to open a bad can when I needed the ammo for SHTF (if that is still a "thing"...)

Luckily, 100% good ammo....

Yes, good idea. I've opened all of mine, inspected and re packed in almost new condition .50cal cans

I feel lucky actually.....only 2 bad ones out of a pallet of 54 cans purchased. Hey, shit happens. The cans looked fine but amazing what happened over time.

Is this stuff “remanufacture” or assembled from pulled down parts?
That's quite normal looking for Lake City military ammo.....they don't polish it up for a retail market. The .50bmg stuff usually still has lubricant on it along with some tarnish. All goes bang.

I would just put it in the Vibratory corn cob / walnut Tumbler after its fired….If you really care about how it looks when it doesn’t even matter you can put it in there while it’s live. You’re not supposed to but what’s the worst that could happen?

Back
Top Bottom