Thats new!

(redacted fa-10 for pay comment)

Well at least when you guys go to your PD and ask for an FA-10 form your not told and I quote: "We don't have any here, your going to have to call and schedule an appointment with the licensing officer" and this was after I told him that I wanted an FA-10 form and got . . .

A certain small town town immediately adjacent to Dwarven1, having NO noticable crime has a state of the art PD station with the bullet proof glass and all, and FA-10 forms are only handed out by the licensing officer. I picked some up (by appointment) and was handed a couple. I looked at him and he added 4 or 5 more to the pile. After another look from me he sighed and put another 20 on the pile. I thanked him and left.

Last edited:
I believe the PD does have to pay for them.

A certain small town town immediately adjacent to Dwarven1, having NO noticable crime has a state of the art PD station with the bullet proof glass and all, and FA-10 forms are only handed out by the licensing officer. I picked some up (by appointment) and was handed a couple. I looked at him and he added 4 or 5 more to the pile. After another look from me he sighed and put another 20 on the pile. I thanked him and left.

NO, they do NOT pay for them. CHSB fully understands that if the PDs had to pay for them, not more than a handful of PDs across the state would order them! Therefore, they are free to the PDs . . . but they do have to order them when they get low. I suspect that some PDs just let the supply run out and either forget to re-order or don't bother for political reasons.

Just call CHSB and get them sent to you directly. Also, if you are told that your PD is out, you can ask CHSB to ship some to your PD as well. [wink]

NO, they do NOT pay for them. CHSB fully understands that if the PDs had to pay for them, not more than a handful of PDs across the state would order them! Therefore, they are free to the PDs . . . but they do have to order them when they get low. I suspect that some PDs just let the supply run out and either forget to re-order or don't bother for political reasons.

Just call CHSB and get them sent to you directly. Also, if you are told that your PD is out, you can ask CHSB to ship some to your PD as well. [wink]

I stand corrected. Thanks. I was told (apparently incorrectly) by several police departments that they do, but in all cases I spoke with front desk officers, not the supply types.

Whn igo to my PD, they say:

PD: How many.
Me: 2
PD: Here's 4 just in case
me: thanks.

Smooth as can be.

the office clerk at Woburn PD gave me a hard time when i was asking for 3 fa-10s. she only wanted to give me one, and stated they cant give out more then 3 because then your considered a dealer. i stated repeatedly its for registration purposes only, im not selling the items. she still then didnt fully understand my purpose. i ended up calling CHSB and got a bunch in the mail and the lady over the phone was very nice about it.

Last edited:
I'm in a green town - very green. Maybe the guy behind the counter was new or something - he was very polite and just said they needed to log who they gave out forms to. I said "okay" - its not as if was put out by it. I'm not gonna worry about it too much. I have never ever had any problem with any of the LEO in this town and actually find them all very pleasant and reasonable. I am freinds with a few of them and the town next door, we often talk about what our carry guns are and the pros and cons of them (they all seem to like Glocks). I live in Mendon by the way - way out there with cows and stuff.

Not pissed - just curious I guess. I thought maybe there was some new state level mandate about it. Now if THAT were the case, I would start raising some ire'.[smile]

Go back in a few days and ask for another FA-10, just for the hell of it. At least this way we'll know if its an isolated incident or otherwise.

This sounds like a classic example of collecting documentation to defend a budget during hard financial times. Simply put if you are facing potential cuts it becomes very important to document all interactions so that the work your budget is funding doesn't fall through the cracks. It also becomes important to show you are servicing the right people (people from that town in this case) and not wasting resources on outside issues.

must-an-old-dog-jump-through-hoops.jpg

I stand corrected. Thanks. I was told (apparently incorrectly) by several police departments that they do, but in all cases I spoke with front desk officers, not the supply types.

Your first mistake was asking a police department a question regarding the Mass Gun Laws...even though it was simply a form you were looking for. Most LEOs don't have a clue. I stopped by the State Police Barracks in Danvers a while back asking for an FA10 form. The trooper at the desk asked me what it was for. I explained that I was selling a firearm. He proceeded to ask me what type of firearm and to who I was selling it. I told him all I needed was the form, thank you. He then loudly told me he was unable to help facilitate my sale and that a sale of a firearm had to go through a gun shop not the police and they charged money for that service. There was no form that he could provide, especially if I refused to give him the details of the sale. I thanked him for his time and told him to have a nice day. Called the CHSB and had a half dozen in my hands in 2 days.

Every police officer should have the basic understanding of the Mass Gun Laws just as they have that knowledge of the rest of the laws of the commonwealth (or are supposed to). [thinking]

Never ask the LEO if you can help it, the dispatcher is usually the go to guy for these type of things. I had to get one in the town I work in (never again), and the LEO was telling me I had to do the sale thru a dealer. I said no, I just need a form...he started arguing.....the dispatcher came in finally and gave me the forms......

When I called my PD to make sure they had them, they asked my name and that's it. Didn't much like the idea of them even asking, but at least they didn't pull ID.

Just so we're clear, at the time I was simply on a hunt for fa-10s. I move around a fair amount in my work so I simply stopped in when I saw a PD and picked some up, wherever that might be. Some were very polite and helpful (+1 to Sudbury & Hopkinton) and others were control freaks (-1 to Milford). Some chatted and a few mildly griped about the high cost of forms. Lens has already clarified that so if I run into the same situation in the future I know the answer! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom