Texas man suing MA

Brent Carlton, co-founder of Commonwealth Second Amendment, a nonprofit promoting the interests of Bay State gun owners, certainly gets that. But he’s concerned about the SJC’s decision to take Cassidy’s case. He says the high court picks cases that will allow it to restrict Second Amendment rights through precedent.

“They have a history of picking bad cases that are ripe for bad case law,” Carlton said. “The fact that they have accepted this case is setting off alarm bells for me.”

This guy is part of the problem.

This guy's so completely ****ed. I picture the SJC justices sitting around rubbing their hands gleefully and cackling maniacally over their chance to further restrict gun ownership.

He stands no chance in state court at all, "because guns." [thinking]

This guy is part of the problem.

^This

He is going to represent himself to boot. "Can't find a lawyer in Mass to take it"....

I hope someone from Comm2a contacts this kid with an education on why this may not be a good idea.

Once again, love the enthusiasm, but don't think he understands the reasoning behind the slow methodical approach.

“I’m swinging for the fences, but I think what Massachusetts did to me was outrageous,” said John Cassidy, who is representing himself in the pitch to the state’s highest court. “I’m not an attorney, but it has always been my plan to fight this.”

Oh shit. This guy needs to talk with Comm2A. He seems to be under the impression that people get a fair shake in MA marsupial courts.

So how long do you have to register, declare or whatever firearms when moving into MA? I mean, I'm not excusing the guy, but I can see not knowing about your ridiculous laws up there, especially just to posses them in your home. Heck, I came to NES at first to learn the scoop on various laws when I was trying to go shooting in MA from CT, eventually said screw it, not worth the hassle.

Either way, I think its a bad idea to represent oneself, but wish him the best of luck.

What gun owner, with half a brain (or in their right mind) would move to a state and NOT check the gun laws where you're going?? I did when we were moving from FL to MA (back in 1996, since we were moving up a the start of 1997). Of course, going to NH was crazy easy (and another reason I'll never go back to MA). When I was looking for a new job and was looking at roles in other states, the FIRST thing I did was check their gun laws (if not one of the states on the NFW list). There were jobs I didn't even go after due to not liking the gun laws in that state.

IMO, IF this guy had done a minute (or two) worth of research, he wouldn't be a PP today...

Oh, and you know what they say about representing yourself in a legal case... [hmmm]

^This

He is going to represent himself to boot. "Can't find a lawyer in Mass to take it"....

I hope someone from Comm2a contacts this kid with an education on why this may not be a good idea.

Once again, love the enthusiasm, but don't think he understands the reasoning behind the slow methodical approach.

The problem is he's from a free state. Mass bullshit gun laws, and the way MA courts work in relation to guns, are totally incomprehensible to people who are from free states. They think the constitution actually applies in this state, god bless their silly hearts.

You should hear some of the conversations I have with friends and relatives back in PA. "You mean it's illegal to own a stun gun? Seriously? Do they not want people to protect themselves? What about women who want to protect themselves from being raped?"

They actually try to argue with me about all this, despite the fact that I fully agree with every argument. It literally makes their heads explode because they can't comprehend it.

My thoughts are:
The NES crowd of 5-7 years ago would be behind this guy.
The NES crowd of today, not so much.

From the link:

"“I’m going to go it alone. I have yet to find a Massachusetts lawyer that passionately believes in gun rights,”"

i.e. a lawyer who will work for free.

Meanwhile, Cassidy is researching gun laws and corresponding with the court from his family’s auto repair shop in the Lone Star State. And he says he can beat the odds.

“I think I have a shot,” he said. “I just want to be able to own guns and to go back to law school.”

Oh, brother, this has train wreck written all over it.

The guy might as well jump into a shark tank with a spaghetti spear.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]“I’m going to go it alone. I have yet to find a Massachusetts lawyer that passionately believes in gun rights,” he said. “People don’t understand the idea of owning a gun simply because it’s your right.”
Wicked Shawkah. [/FONT]

So how long do you have to register, declare or whatever firearms when moving into MA? I mean, I'm not excusing the guy, but I can see not knowing about your ridiculous laws up there, especially just to posses them in your home. Heck, I came to NES at first to learn the scoop on various laws when I was trying to go shooting in MA from CT, eventually said screw it, not worth the hassle.

Either way, I think its a bad idea to represent oneself, but wish him the best of luck.

The MA SJC has ruled that the move-in exemption does not cover high cap weapons or mags.

Note the 26 months in the big house. My guess is most, perhaps all, of that was punishment for taking his original case to trial instead of pleading out.

From the linked article:
[FONT=&quot]Police said Cassidy was also a fugitive from Texas, where he had an active arrest warrant for possession of “explosive components.”[/FONT]
Hmm.... maybe this factored into the sentencing as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
wow... After that info, he has a SCiH of having a happy ending... If anything, he'll get even MORE boned...

After reading that article it strikes me Cassidy is a can short of a sixpack. He doesn't have a full grasp of reality.

There's no way he's going back to law school, here in Mass. or anywhere else.
I'd say he's more like 3 cans short...

I can't imagine why an attorney wouldn't want to take his case [rolleyes]

Sounds like this dipshit should have neither firearms nor a law degree.

His heart is in the right place but his brain, not so much. [thinking]

- - - Updated - - -

From the link:

"“I’m going to go it alone. I have yet to find a Massachusetts lawyer that passionately believes in gun rights,”"

Or IE, a lawyer that will ignore reality and feed into delusions of legal grandeur.

-Mike

Reality is that he should be able to point to Heller and MacDonald and get this crap thrown out. But, MA SJC is a ****ing joke. So there is that.

Knuckledragger is right that the SJC is just drooling over this opportunity to further bone MA gun owners.
No, the NES crowd of 5-7 years ago would likely have thought this guy a knucklehead. The NES crowd of 10 years ago would definitely have thought that this guy was a knucklehead.

As for this guy's case,

My thoughts are:

Nope. He already fired his free lawyer

Appellate Court Docket said:
04/19/2016 #3 Letter from John E. Cassidy re: request for status of appeal; motion to stay sentence and motion to end legal relationship with CPCS and Jacob Stone

My thoughts are:

This was stupid 5-7 years ago as it is now. Atkinson is a similar deal (and at least that old) and most people here thought he was a pud for trying to pursue a legal remedy while firing from the hip. Thankfully I don't think his appeal/case went very far.

-Mike

After reading both articles, it's almost like someone from the AG's office or anti-gun
group egged him on to pursue this. I can almost hear Martha snickering to her staff
'LOL... he took the bait'.

I'm not saying that's what actually happened, it's just that even one of Martha's first
year interns will make this a slam dunk case.

Back
Top Bottom