Teen robs house in Gloucester of guns, leave loaded weapon in street

uzi

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_302230047.html

Police cut short teen's spree Gloucester, Rockport join to catch suspect
By Jonathan L'Ecuyer
Staff Writer

ROCKPORT — A 17-year-old Rockport man, who police say stole more than a half-dozen guns and more than 50 pieces of jewelry from a Squam Hill Road home, was arrested on multiple weapons charges after Rockport Police, aided by several Gloucester officers, apprehended the man at a Gloucester apartment building just before 10:30 p.m. Monday.

Lee J. Stevenson, of 5 Joseph Way, Rockport, was arrested after police officers executed search and arrest warrants from Gloucester District Court. Rockport police applied for the warrants based on information provided to them through an investigation of a house burglary earlier Monday afternoon.

Sgts. Mark Schmink and Robert Tibert, together with Gloucester police Detective Steven Mizzoni and others, tracked Stevenson to 16 Blynman Ave. Police, able to enter unannounced because of a "no-knock" search warrant, broke down the door and ordered everyone to get down on the ground.

Police found two handguns on Stevenson, a backpack full of jewelry, and the remaining loaded semi-automatic weapons, which had been scattered outside around the property, during the search. Police said Stevenson had left one loaded semi-automatic pistol in plain view on a sidewalk in front of the residence.

"We subdued everyone quickly and Stevenson was arrested and handcuffed," Schmink said yesterday. "(Stevenson) did cooperate and led us to the firearms (he left outside the residence)."

During an interrogation conducted between 3 and 4 a.m. yesterday, police say Stevenson admitted to the burglary on Squam Hill Road as well as to stealing money from Loco-Motion Laundromat at Whistlestop Mall last Friday and stealing a dirt bike from a Main Street garage on Oct. 11.

Police have not yet recovered the dirt bike but plan to pursue charges against Stevenson for stealing it.

As a result of Monday's burglary, Rockport Police charged Stevenson with breaking and entering during the day with intent to commit a felony, larceny of a building, carrying a firearm without a license, and unlawful possession of ammunition. Police also tacked on an additional larceny charge because Stevenson stole money from the Loco-Motion Laundromat when he broke into the business last week.

Stevenson was arraigned in Gloucester District Court yesterday where Judge James LaMothe ordered the 17-year-old held without bail for a week pending the outcome of a psychological evaluation and dangerousness hearing. Stevenson was taken to Middleton Jail after his arraignment, police said.

Police say Stevenson's one-man crime spree began more than two weeks ago, but it wasn't until Monday's burglary that they were able to determine a common thread.

At 3:22 p.m. Monday, police received a report of a burglary from a Squam Hill Road couple. The homeowners reported someone had stolen a safe containing several handguns, many of them semi-automatics, and ammunition, two rifles in cases, and more than 50 pieces of jewelry.

Rockport police Chief Thomas McCarthy said his department reacted as it always would, launching an immediate investigation into the crime. Sgt. Schmink requested a K-9 unit from the Essex County Sheriff's office to help track the suspect. With the dog's help, officers eventually found an emptied safe in a wooded area roughly 100 yards away from the home.

A hatchet used to break into the home and open the safe was also found in the woods, Schmink said.

Stevenson — well known to Rockport police for past offenses — became a person of interest in the burglary only after interviews were conducted with the homeowners and an informant told police Stevenson was walking around with two handguns, one of which was tucked into his belt.

Through an interview with the homeowners, police were able to determine Stevenson was a friend of the couple's son and that he had been in the house several times before the couple told their son not to spend time with Stevenson. Around the same time, police began to suspect Stevenson was linked to the burglary at Loco-Motion Laundromat because one of Stevenson's relatives works at the Whistlestop Mall business.

Schmink said Stevenson, a high school drop-out, has no known residence and has been moving around since his parents kicked him out of their home owing to his "steady decline over the past few months."

Schmink and McCarthy said yesterday they appreciated Gloucester's help in the case.

Gloucester Police said they plan to pursue charges against Stevenson for probation violation and crimes committed in Gloucester on Monday related to the burglary.

"They did a great job and nobody got hurt," McCarthy said yesterday of the work done by both departments. "It was handled very professionally and we appreciate Gloucester's help."

Jonathan L'Ecuyer can be reached at [email protected].

c_

Someday a cop is going to get shot doing this and deservedly so.
Ehh... in this case I think I can see why the no-knock.

What's of more concern to me is this:
At 3:22 p.m. Monday, police received a report of a burglary from a Squam Hill Road couple. The homeowners reported someone had stolen a safe containing several handguns, many of them semi-automatics, and ammunition, two rifles in cases, and more than 50 pieces of jewelry.
Sounds like the media is already starting to demonize semi autos in the wake of the full-auto fatality out at Westfield. Otherwise, why bother to mention that?

Ehh... in this case I think I can see why the no-knock.

Agreed. Destruction of evidence, the usual excuse, is not a problem here. Armed suspects are.

What's of more concern to me is this:

Sounds like the media is already starting to demonize semi autos in the wake of the full-auto fatality out at Westfield. Otherwise, why bother to mention that?

Because the MSM is always happy to demonize any aspect of an event involving firearms. If the thugs had flintlocks, the MSM would rant about how those can be purchased "through the mail, no permit or background check required!" [rolleyes]

Because the MSM is always happy to demonize any aspect of an event involving firearms. If the thugs had flintlocks, the MSM would rant about how those can be purchased "through the mail, no permit or background check required!" [rolleyes]
And .75 cal!

This guy made off with an entire safe? Must not have been a very big safe, or a very solid one either if it all it took was just a hatchet to get into it.

I pray that the cop isn't your son.

I wish everyone would think that way before they make some of the comments I see in this forum. I thought of every night my son got into uniform and headed out to pull his shift.

Funny how having a son that is a Cop starts to change your mind about some things.

I was real glad when he left the department for a better career where no violence is expected. His step-brother however is still on the job in Attleboro

Someday a cop is going to get shot doing this and justifiably so.

Doesn't the home-owner have the duty to retreat? And even if they don't, their life will be made a living hell if they shoot a cop...loss of LTC... threats, etc.

If someone cop or not, broke through my door unannounced, and I was in fear of my life not knowing who was committing a violent entry into my home, MY first reaction is going to be to shoot first and ask questions later.

That is the problem with no knock warrants. My main goal from the time I feel I am threatened is self preservation and the safety of my wife and dogs. I may not hear that "Police" thing they scream after they have started the attack, when I am adrenalin fueled and focused on getting a shot off.

I think UNREASONABLE applies to no knocks. If the cops are so worried about stuff getting flushed down the toilet, have the water shut off and the sewer pipe blocked before executing the warrant.

I would not wish harm on a LEO, but they do put themselves in harms way when there are safer ways to accomplish the task.

Doobie I think Governor Kings "Castle Doctrine" law is still in force in MA and you have no duty to retreat in your own home. I'm sure one of the esteemed lawyers will be along any second to either confirm this ot tell me I am full of fecal matter

Wonder if these homeowners will be brought up on charges for this.

Wonder if these homeowners will be brought up on charges for this.

Can't see what you are talking about...why would they be charged???

Maybe she's thinking it's illegal to store ammo in the same safe as the guns? Or that the ammo wasn't in the safe.

Yes you are correct - the ammo and the guns are not supposed to be stored together. That's how I read the text in the article:

safe containing several handguns, many of them semi-automatics, and ammunition,

Back
Top Bottom