Teen Can Finish H.S. Before Prison

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/23514866/detail.html

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- A Rhode Island judge has ruled that a teenage gang member convicted of participating in a drive-by shooting can delay starting his prison sentence for five weeks so he can finish high school.

Superior Court Judge Robert Krause ruled Monday that Suliva Hong, 18, can graduate before reporting to prison to serve a five-year sentence.

A co-defendant convicted of driving the vehicle from which Hong fired a gun, striking a rival gang member in May 2009, was also given the five weeks of freedom in the spirit of fairness. The victim survived.

Krause warned that if they get in trouble or associate with gang members during the five-week reprieve, they will be sent to prison immediately.

Prosecutors agreed with the five-week delay because the defendants have so far behaved while on bail.
Unbelievable [angry]

The most disturbing part of the story is the fact that the prosecution was on board.

ETA If they hurt someone else during the 5 weeks I hope that the Judges and attorneys will be happy.

The most disturbing part of the story is the fact that the prosecution was on board.

ETA If they hurt someone else during the 5 weeks I hope that the Judges and attorneys will be happy.

If they hurt someone else during the 5 weeks I hope the judge will be sent to prison like they should be.

I agree. Let him finish high school and attend graduation. At graduation, let him walk up on stage to get his diploma, then have a cop cuff him, walk him off stage, and stuff him in the back seat of the cruiser and take him to jail. Make a big fuss about it for everyone to see.

fairness? they have the gonads to mention fairness? and they wonder why the streets are the way the are. whats to stop these 2 from just taking off somewhere and starting over? i'm sure their members will pony up some of their ill gotten cash to help them stay out of the pen.

He should apply to a College right now and stay out for ten more years. Hell he could get the prison system to pay his tuition.

Law Enforcement does all the work investigating, tracking down, arresting, and gaining a confession from a violent gangbanger, and a judge slaps them across the face with a sentence like this. You get to a point where your really start to question "What for?". Tell me that isn't frustrating!

UPDATE....

I don't know what high school the shooter is graduating from.

Neither does the Attorney General's Office.

Neither does the Providence School System.

The Attorney General's office does not know where Hong attends school.

The Providence School Department tells Eyewitness News Hong is not enrolled in their district.

Just when I thought there wasn't enough FAIL in this story....[rolleyes]

Just amazing. They have no idea where he goes to school, but he has been released so he can graduate?! How does that even begin to make sense! If nothing less I would expect that they have a damn good idea as to where he is 24/7. So now they have released a violent gangbanger with no knowledge as to what school he even attends, just awesome.

I wonder if his classmates had any say in whether they wanted this scum to attend class with them. If my kid went to that school you can bet that they would be staying home until that idiot was in jail.

He gets 5 years (after finishing HS) for shooting someone. We get ten years for having a 30 round AR magazine that is built in the last decade mixed in with the 20 "pre-ban" 30 rounders that look and function exactly the same when we go target shooting. Things are sure messed up.

Amazing. Sicking. Quite honestly I had just as soon see the folks involved in this decision be the ones behind bars.. they need to be shamed, made fun of, and ran out of town.
We have lost our collective minds. I heard about it on the radio this morning and nearly had a stroke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom